Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 09:10 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times

Advertisements

Just curious to get other agent's take on this practice.

Basically there are some agents in the area that once a listing is no longer active (i.e. sold or expired or canceled), the agent deletes all of the photos from the listing.

My guess is the thought behind doing this is to prevent other agents from stealing the photos for a future listing of the property.

Personally, I find this practice HIGHLY annoying.

First, you probably don't even own the rights to those photos because you hired someone to take them and they likely granted you a limited license. I can pay that photographer to gain the same use license. So, what's the point?

Second, it makes using that sale as a good comp nearly impossible.

Anyone else seeing this happening in their MLS and do you have any thoughts about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 09:19 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
It's not common and I hope it doesn't become common.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:39 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
I always ask for the interior shots to be removed whenever I sell. Moreso for the buyers - it’s always weird when there’s pictures of your bathroom on the interwebz.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:07 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Until agents stop using photos from a previous listing there is a reasonable motive for removing them.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:29 AM

First of all I don’t think that’s a reasonable motive… It’s not so terribly common for houses to immediately go on the market again and reuse the same pictures. Is this really something that happens that often?

Secondly if it does happen it’s not the end of the world… One report to the MLS would catch them and fix it.

I just don’t see any good reason to delete them.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:41 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
I usually only remove photos when the listing expires or is withdrawn. They are my photos, and another agent is not going to use them if they get the listing after me, nor is the seller going to use them. I own them.

In higher-end properties, I remove the pictures because of safety reasons and most people don't want images of their floorplan being staked out on-line for potential robbery.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:57 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
It should not be allowed on Closed listings.

Appraisers use those photos as part of their assessment of value.

At TMLS, we have "TMLS" watermarked on the photos, and that makes it harder to reuse them illicitly.
And, I would roll over on anyone who used my photos from a listing, and the MLS folks would step on them at that point.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:11 AM

Hmm... I don't think most thieves look online to see floor plan... most wouldn't be able to figure out a useful floor plan from pictures anyway. And the stuff... - is the stuff that belonged to the prior owner. So is the layout and floor plan, for that matter.

The only time the pictures would have any value at all to thieves is during the listing. Something to keep in mind while it's on the market... not after.

Hopefully it doesn't become common to remove them. I'm not sure removing them from the MLS will remove them from all the other public facing feeder sites thieves will look at anyway.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:21 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I feel they should be left for CMA and appraisal purposes. (By the way, unless your contract with the photographer specifically states, in writing, that you are purchasing the full and complete copyright rather than the photos or specific use of them yourself, you do NOT own the photos, you own permission to use the photos to market the property - that's how copyright law works. The person to address the unauthorized use of them would be the legal copyright holder, usually the photographer as the photographer owns copyright the moment they press the button.)

However, I did, as a listing agent, some years ago, have a buyer contact me and my broker about three months after the closing to demand that the photos of HIS house be taken off the internet, for security reasons. We had to get tough with Zillow in order to make that happen, and point out that his threat of legal action would definitely include them.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:54 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
they should be removed from the public sphere, but access maintained within subscribers to the database.

good luck to us all getting Zillow etal to comply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals