Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 06:02 AM

459 posts, read 619,333 times

Advertisements

I listed a house with a realtor a few months ago in a good market. It's a nice starter type house priced at the lower end of the market and in good order. The price has been dropped twice in a month, plenty of showings but only one useless offer.

However, my realtor has not been to any showings and not had an open house, she says because sign's are not allowed anymore. I found out this is a lie. Ultimately I think she is just plain lazy.

So I asked her a week ago to give me an unconditional release of contract in return for the cancellation fee and she is flat out refusing to by either ignoring my communications or making it difficult for me to get a simple signed contract to cancel and give her payment. She wants me to drive to her office with a check and no prior paperwork to look at. Seems to be stalling tactic's to me.
What can I do to assist her to do the right thing ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 06:09 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
I like to do some research on realtors before I list with them. They all talk a good game. I know there are other options but I’m not ready to sell to inquire about them. Good luck.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:10 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattrohead View Post
I listed a house with a realtor a few months ago in a good market. It's a nice starter type house priced at the lower end of the market and in good order. The price has been dropped twice in a month, plenty of showings but only one useless offer.

However, my realtor has not been to any showings and not had an open house, she says because sign's are not allowed anymore. I found out this is a lie. Ultimately I think she is just plain lazy.

So I asked her a week ago to give me an unconditional release of contract in return for the cancellation fee and she is flat out refusing to by either ignoring my communications or making it difficult for me to get a simple signed contract to cancel and give her payment. She wants me to drive to her office with a check and no prior paperwork to look at. Seems to be stalling tactic's to me.
You can always threaten to report her to the board of realtors for misconduct.

you don't need a sign to do an open house, you can post the info online which is how most people find out about them so yes she is lying.

Maybe call her and email and text her so much that she pays you to end the listing.

You can call her broker too and discuss issues of your dissatisfaction and ask what remedies they can offer.

Post bad, but honest reviews for her too.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:18 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:

You call her broker.
"I hope we can work this out and put it behind us amicably, and avoid involving the real estate commission."

If they are so dull that they will not provide you with a release, you might involve the real estate commission.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:26 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You call her broker.
"I hope we can work this out and put it behind us amicably, and avoid involving the real estate commission."

If they are so dull that they will not provide you with a release, you might involve the real estate commission.
I agree with Mike, but I also want to debunk 2 thoughts you have.

1. Listings in most markets don't attend showings. Most showings are from buyers agents. I think you're holding this against your agent when you shouldn't.

2. Open houses in many markets are pretty useless for marketing. If you're priced right the home will sell. My guess is you're price is too high and you should reduce it by 3-5% and you'll sell based on the showing activity you claim.

#1 and 2 above don't have anything to do with whether your agent is honest or lazy. She should could be a terrible agent for all I know. I certainly think if she was dishonest about something as simple as a sign and failed to communicate effectively to explain #1 and #2 above then she deserves a good firing.

Good luck and happy selling with the next agent.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:02 AM

She is the broker.
I just don't know why she want's to retain an unhappy customer, it's bad business.
Oh and sending me a text to say she will not do it because she does not trust me lol.
It's not difficult, I need to see exactly what I am signing, she signs, I sign, send her the money and only then does she cancel the listing....simples.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:11 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
She is the broker.
I just don't know why she want's to retain an unhappy customer, it's bad business.
Oh and sending me a text to say she will not do it because she does not trust me lol.
It's not difficult, I need to see exactly what I am signing, she signs, I sign, send her the money and only then does she cancel the listing....simples.
If she says that she may think you're trying to sell it behind her back and cut her out. I would think most listing agreements have a protection clause in there and if so you can point that out to her. You can also tell her you intend to find a different agent because you don't trust her back. A partnership where neither side trusts the other isn't healthy for either of you!

Unless there is a cancellation clause I wouldn't pay her a dime for it either. How much time is left in your agreement?

Old 11-06-2018, 07:25 AM

There is a cancellation clause and the agreement runs until February 2019, it was for 6 months.
I feel $500 is OK to get rid of her and use someone who is confident enough in their performance to not use cancellation clauses.
I should have done some research and taken more note of the excuses and blaming everyone else for cockups back then but I have used them for a few years as a buyer.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:49 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
sounds more like she wants the cancellation fee in hand before signing the actual document. which can easily be accomplished, and if she was so dim as to cash your check but then not sign the document, then you'd definitely have a licensure action against her. And one presumably the state commission would come down hard on her for.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:17 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
There is a cancellation clause and the agreement runs until February 2019, it was for 6 months.
I feel $500 is OK to get rid of her and use someone who is confident enough in their performance to not use cancellation clauses.
I should have done some research and taken more note of the excuses and blaming everyone else for cockups back then but I have used them for a few years as a buyer.
So go to her office and handle this face to face and get it done.

Next time read your listing contract CAREFULLY before you sign it and put your expectations in the contract.

A lot of real estate agents rely on the MLS and buyer agents to get the property sold and won't do anything that's not specified in the contract, especially if they have to spend money on it.

These days, all it takes is a few key strokes on the computer to post an open house on the MLS and/or on the real estate sites and Craigslist. The problem is that the realtors don't want to sit in the house for hours or all day when they can use that time to seek more listings or find houses for buyers that engage them.

Unfortunately, if she is not breaching the terms of the contract, there might not be anything you can do about getting out of the contract. It would be up to her to release you, on her own terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals