Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:31 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times

Advertisements

What a situation at your brokerage, Rapture! Ugh. No matter what kind of job you're in or where you work, when you land in a place where some employees are "more equal" than others, it's not a fun situation.

I hope you might be able to get into a better office someday where everyone's on the same page, ethically and professionally, so you can at least not have to watch your back with your own colleagues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 01:52 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,168,703 times
I have been in various sales positions almost my entire life and all sales careers are stressful. I have been surprised at how well the RE people in my area actually get along. I find them to be very cooperative for the most part, but I know there is always that one bad apple out there. Sounds like you might want to affiliate with a different broker. This might be a bad fit for you. Talk to people at other companies and interview different brokers, you will get a feel for where you think you might fit in better.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:01 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
. . .
The only thing that was keeping me in this business and hanging by a thread of hope was the fact that I respected her, my BIC and my company. If I don't have that, it's leaving me not with much except the benefit of freedom to work from home. I'm just really upset to find out she is not the person I thought she was.

My plan is to let it go and I know a lot of worse things happen in this business, it's easy to see. I just don't know if I want to be a part of it. I don't work half ass, unprofessional and I follow the laws/rules whatever. At my age, I don't know if I have the patience for all this nonsense. My friend that's an agent says when you start getting thise big checks you will feel better. My life isn't about money because if it was, I would have a lot more of it. I would rather have less money and stuff, respect myself and be happy with the people I work with and my job. I can see how I can be good at this and I see the opportunity right in front of me. What I don't see is how I can put up with all the stuff that goes along with it. That's why I said hats off to the agents that do stick around (not the bad ones of course) : )
Good for you, Rapture. The big checks don't help you sleep at night. You're much happier if you do things for the right reason. The other thing that's interesting about this business is that you'll hear agents trying to give people the impression that they're having the "hottest year ever", and usually it ain't so . . . so take the big check comments with a grain of salt. Some agents that have been in the business for a number of years really are successful, but they're not the ones that are doing the bragging.

Might be time to start asking other agents in the area about the companies they work for and what they like the best about the company. If they tell you about the great commission splits and nothing else, then that's probably not going to be a great fit for you; but if they tell you about the great agents that work there and how much they love their broker, then check it out. Working for a company that has a great professional team spirit and great broker can make a HUGE difference in how you feel about this business.

Don't throw in the towel yet, Rapture!

Old 04-06-2008, 04:12 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
Thank you, again! I'm not throwing in the towel and I am starting to ask around about other companies. Part of the reason I'm so upset about all this, is that I really like my company and was proud to say I was a part of it. I'll see what happens...

I know every job, no matter what it is has lazy, incompetent people but I guess I though this would be better, not worse. I don't understand why people make the effort to get their license, spend so much money to be a REALTOR and then can't do something as simple as answer their phone!

Old 04-06-2008, 05:52 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
My take on it -- probably not a violation. But I would be really annoyed by it. There are some things that are technically not violations, but I as an agent would never do it. Sometimes that's when I get annoyed by it.

I find it's always better to take the high road. What could this agent possibly gain by doing this? IMO she has a lot more to lose.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:11 AM

882 posts, read 3,537,892 times
Rapture..
I know what you're saying and I know where you're coming from. Having been here for YEARS.. I can attest to the fact that there are plenty of unknowing, untrained, haphazard, careless and plain old ignorant agents in our County. They fall by the wayside quickly enough.. as a result of their own ineptness.

I've been in situations where I had to split a commission with another agent in my office to the tune of a $5k LOSS on my part. Was I happy about it? Nope... But, I know that by doing the right thing I had the personal satisfaction of knowing that my client was happy and as much as I really needed that money, it will work out for me in the end. Good things happen to good people.

Keep your head up and good things will happen. There are other companies out there, as you know. Give them a call and see what you think.. you never know what you might run in to..

Old 04-07-2008, 10:49 AM

19 posts, read 88,779 times
Default Don't Give UP!

All brokerage houses are NOT created equal. I feel so blessed to be in one that encourages team work and fairness.

About a month ago, another agent began helping someone that I had invested considerable time & $$ in. After she signed them to an exclusive buyer's agreement with them, she discovered that I had been working with them. She came to me and offered me 20% of any future commission from them. I told her that this wasn't necessary because I had only had them sign the RECAD form, not an exclusive agreement.

I have several more experienced mentors here that have gone out of their way to teach me and include me. As a matter of fact, they even brainstorm to come up with leads for me!

The success of other agents actually encourages us!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:23 PM

469 posts, read 1,485,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
WhoFanMe - it was a floor duty call. She doesn't even really know the people.
Thanks for your reply but again, I don't feel the code has a gray area.

Again....Does that Code mean a REALTOR cannot contact another agents client? Does anyone know the answer, please? Thanks..

Code means that another agent can not contact your client in an effort to solicit business from them during the time of your agreement with said client.

Although I believe that what the agent is doing is unproffesional and under handed it is not in violation of the code of conduct.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:44 PM

Default Update

I spoke with the manager of my office today about it, just to get her opinion. She agreed it was wrong, which I knew.

She has been an agent here for almost thirty years, including having her own agency for several years. I respect her and her opinion, so I asked about other companies in this area and she said this was the best. She has nothing to gain by saying that and I tend to agree, despite the recent event. It's just a couple bad apples as some have said.

Thanks for the support and I'll stop complaining now. : ) Or at least until I hear anything more about what just happened.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
Rapture..
I know what you're saying and I know where you're coming from. Having been here for YEARS.. I can attest to the fact that there are plenty of unknowing, untrained, haphazard, careless and plain old ignorant agents in our County. They fall by the wayside quickly enough.. as a result of their own ineptness.

I've been in situations where I had to split a commission with another agent in my office to the tune of a $5k LOSS on my part. Was I happy about it? Nope... But, I know that by doing the right thing I had the personal satisfaction of knowing that my client was happy and as much as I really needed that money, it will work out for me in the end. Good things happen to good people.

Keep your head up and good things will happen. There are other companies out there, as you know. Give them a call and see what you think.. you never know what you might run in to..
Thank you and please don't repeat this, my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals