Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 02:03 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,764 times

Advertisements

Who cares if this is a solicitation or not.

Agents are in the business of doing business and finding business. Is that such a crime?

No reason to make a big deal of this and be cagey.

Tipping your hand doesn't matter, because if the offer isn't good enough, you don't have to accept.
If you wanted the best offer, you would put it on the market and let the competition bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
The real problem is I don't want to tip my hand that we are thinking of selling unless it's a legit prospect. But, I am confident there will be other prospects when we do decide so I'm inclined to trash the letter unless I could verify beforehand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 05:59 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
Who cares if this is a solicitation or not.

Agents are in the business of doing business and finding business. Is that such a crime?

No reason to make a big deal of this and be cagey.

Tipping your hand doesn't matter, because if the offer isn't good enough, you don't have to accept.
If you wanted the best offer, you would put it on the market and let the competition bid.
Not sure how you deduce that I'm being cagey. I stated I don't want to tip my hand, unless it's a legit prospect. Meaning, if there's no prospect and it's simply a fishing expedition to get a listing, I don't want a realtor getting the inside track and pressuring me to list.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:02 AM

THanks everyone for your thoughts. We've decided to table this for a while. After giving it further thought, we don't feel ready to go forward with selling our house.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:18 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
THanks everyone for your thoughts. We've decided to table this for a while.

After giving it further thought, we don't feel ready to go forward with selling our house.
Okay... but wanting to sell or not, now or ever, wasn't the Q posed.
At least that's not the Q I saw being posed.

The Q is whether THIS one specific buyer might be offering enough to motivate. Or not.
But that requires having an actual offer. Not a chat about the idea of an offer.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:56 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

The Q is whether THIS one specific buyer might be offering enough to motivate. Or not.
But that requires having an actual offer. Not a chat about the idea of an offer.
Mr. R is living up to his name.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:38 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Mr. R is living up to his name.
Actually, his input is without value. People see houses before writing offers, almost without exception.

IF there was potential for a deal to be made, and IF the OP was inclined to explore a deal, the posters here who would slam an inquiry are prompting the OP to trash the conversation with childish attitude before it was initiated.
That is ridiculously poor advice.

That the OP has qualified that there is no deal to be made is definitive. No real need to engage.
Personally, in the OP's situation, I might call the agent, let them know I was not interested in selling, hear how they present on the phone, and if it was professional, I might hang onto the agent's contact information for when things would change.
But, I have a real estate success orientation, not a "Let Me Show You My Ass" orientation.
Real Estate Testosterone boogers up more potential deals than it ever helps bring together.

People with zero real estate business acumen should step back from BSing posters with reasonable questions.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:51 AM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Thread caught my eye - due to real life irony we been through.
We were shopping for property. For 2 years, actually. Zillow had one listed as "make me move" for 1.2M. We drove there, looked at it, asked our relator to contact owner.
Realtor said that she mailed THREE letters to the person. No response. So we kept looking.
Suddenly, as we had that property saved on Zillow as favorite, we received update that it's on the market. For 940K. We were there same day with realtor. Liked it a lot.
I went stubborn on realtor and made offer at 870K. Owner accepted it in 2 hours. I still believe I should have gone lower.
Anyhow. We did walk through with owner after closing. I had hardest time ever to not ask him, why he didn't consider letters realtor sent him, as we'd have bought it for 1.2M.

It is, actually, after some downturn, estimated at 1.2M as I type.

Do I need to clarify moral to this story, or you get it?

Old 12-25-2018, 09:08 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Thread caught my eye - due to real life irony we been through.
We were shopping for property. For 2 years, actually. Zillow had one listed as "make me move" for 1.2M. We drove there, looked at it, asked our relator to contact owner.
Realtor said that she mailed THREE letters to the person. No response. So we kept looking.
Suddenly, as we had that property saved on Zillow as favorite, we received update that it's on the market. For 940K. We were there same day with realtor. Liked it a lot.
I went stubborn on realtor and made offer at 870K. Owner accepted it in 2 hours. I still believe I should have gone lower.
Anyhow. We did walk through with owner after closing. I had hardest time ever to not ask him, why he didn't consider letters realtor sent him, as we'd have bought it for 1.2M.

It is, actually, after some downturn, estimated at 1.2M as I type.

Do I need to clarify moral to this story, or you get it?
Clearly, the former owner either was borderline competent or got bad advice not unlike much of the macho crap delivered in this thread. Or, both.

And, if I am wrong on those points, what the heck.
It may have only cost them, what, $330,000? Kudos to them for standing their ground. I respect people who will write the checks to back their attitudes...

Old 12-25-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Where did I post that? In fact my post was to question whether or not there was a legitimate buyer or a ruse. My original post:

We have a home in a highly desirable location and occasionally have received letters from realtors stating they have an interested buyer but I never paid any attention. Today, I received another one and would like to know if these are legit or a ruse to get me to list my home. The letter states that individual is a realtor and is not soliciting to list my home for sale. He is working with a buyer interested in buying a home near our local school. He wants me to give him a call to schedule dates that "we" could view your home. . .

I did check the the name/agency is legit but the letter is not on any letterhead and unsigned. Is this legit? Would this be a buyer's agent? If I contact this realtor, are there questions I should ask. We are undecided whether we will be selling in the near term so I don't want a hard sell or get ourselves into something we are not ready for.

thanks.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:09 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
You fear the hard sell? No one can make you do something you do not want to do.

Call the person and let them know you may have some interest in selling next year. What can they tell you about the buyers wants in a property. What is their timeframe? What type of financing are they approve for? Are you a buyers agent?

See where that gets you. If you feel that this is legit, ask what is the next step. If not, thank them for their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals