Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 08:53 AM

318 posts, read 464,977 times

Advertisements

Hi Realtors,

I see many of my neighbors installing vinyl plank over their existing tile floors here in St. Augustine FL. One told me a few of her tiles were cracked, and she did not have any replacement tiles, so they had vinyl plank installed over top... These homes about 10 years old (maybe 12 yrs) and I think some people are tired of the large square tiles. Apparently ripping out large tiled areas is cost prohibitive.

I would think that vinyl plank flooring would be horrible for resale. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 11:58 AM

2,558 posts, read 6,469,699 times
There’s a company in my area that charges $2 per sq ft to tear out old tile and wood flooring that’s glued down. They’re a specialty company, so they probably do it right. But, I’d guess that a DIY person could rent a piece of equipment to tackle the job.

I managed a rehab for a rental that my client was prepping for sale. It had old parque flooring throughout the house and it could not be removed by the handheld chisel method because of the hard glue. So, we hired the aforementioned company to handle it. They did a good job, but the concrete surface was left with a lot of gouges from the removal. We had LVP flooring installed in a portion of the house, and the installers used some self-leveling mortar over the rough areas. It turned out great. I can’t imagine using the same stuff over existing tile floors, but I suppose it could be done.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:35 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,107,702 times
are you moving soon? are your tile floors cracked?

Old 02-09-2019, 04:57 PM

318 posts, read 464,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
are you moving soon? are your tile floors cracked?
NO, not moving. Our floors are perfectly intact.

I am merely asking what you all have seen here in Florida, and/or recommending that your clients do to change up or spruce up their house.

Our house was built in 2014, we are 2nd owners. The original owners didn't upgrade things that I would have.

Thinking of changing up my kitchen, floors, counters, etc.... weighing the pros and cons.... change it up, and stay for a long time. Don't change it up, and move again in 2 years.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:56 PM

6,321 posts, read 4,801,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbogyrl View Post

Thinking of changing up my kitchen, floors, counters, etc.... weighing the pros and cons.... change it up, and stay for a long time. Don't change it up, and move again in 2 years.
If you are going to do it, do it for the right reason.

Here are the wrong reasons:

Everybody else is doing it.
You heard that it's the thing to do.
Talking head realtors tell you it's the way to get more money for your house. (It isn't.)

Here's the right reason:

It's what you want to do because it pleases you.

Or, don't do it at all because - If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:09 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,149,025 times
Quote:
Hi Realtors,

I see many of my neighbors installing vinyl plank over their existing tile floors here in St. Augustine FL. One told me a few of her tiles were cracked, and she did not have any replacement tiles, so they had vinyl plank installed over top... These homes about 10 years old (maybe 12 yrs) and I think some people are tired of the large square tiles. Apparently ripping out large tiled areas is cost prohibitive.

I would think that vinyl plank flooring would be horrible for resale. What are your thoughts?
I'd think that vinyl flooring will be showing the tile pattern underneath in short order. Which is gonna make it doubly bad for resale.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:07 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,583,206 times
Quote:
I would think that vinyl plank flooring would be horrible for resale.
I would think that vinyl plank flooring would be horrible for any reason whatsoever.
Quote:
What are your thoughts?
As regards resale... it's about eliminating question marks.
If the buyers don't see cracked tiles then they won't ask those Q's.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:54 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,688,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
If you are going to do it, do it for the right reason.

Here are the wrong reasons:

Everybody else is doing it.
You heard that it's the thing to do.
Talking head realtors tell you it's the way to get more money for your house. (It isn't.)

Here's the right reason:

It's what you want to do because it pleases you.

Or, don't do it at all because - If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I've seen some vinyl flooring in new models over on this side of the state (and I'll admit that they looked very good) but my personal opinion is that there is still a stigma, so to speak, with vinyl. However, if it is more or less common in your area, that shouldn't be a problem. Bottom line, though, is this....adjusterjack's advice is spot on, IMO.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:03 PM

199 posts, read 157,033 times
There are different types of LVP, and that type of flooring in and of itself isn't terrible for resale. Some varieties look great and some are cheap and look it. No matter what type it is, I wouldn't install it on top of tile. That's just lazy and isn't going to wear well. Besides, the better quality LVP is going to have an attached underlayment, so if you slap that on top of existing tile, you're raising your floors, which is going to be a problem if you have other types of flooring throughout the house that you need to transition to the LVP rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals