Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 09:28 AM

51 posts, read 55,299 times

Advertisements

I honestly don't think the iBuyer program will be good for real estate agents, sellers, or buyers (investor or end user).

Objectively, they are entering the business of flipping homes but with a business model that does so without the added renos and a focus on either desperate sellers or misinformed sellers (I am sure in 99% of the cases of desperate sellers, they are actually misinformed sellers thinking they are desperate sellers). This model will be very hard to execute on a mass scale, but I guess they have a formula (I assume they are leveraging their risk by low balling sellers much more than a normal flipper would do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 06:09 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAaamerica View Post
I honestly don't think the iBuyer program will be good for real estate agents, sellers, or buyers (investor or end user).
The iBuyer will be good for a niche market of buyers that need to meet a time frame more than a price goal, such as a person building a home and needs to control the closing date.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,575 times
Very interesting perspectives here. I see this movement as just another example of tech automation and removing "the middleman" in order to increase margins. Honestly, I don't see it working well for the clients as the local knowledge of real estate agents is impossible to replace.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:46 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,892,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhilashMishra View Post
mod cut - deleted spam post
thanks!

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 07-21-2019 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: remove spam link

Old 07-21-2019, 06:06 AM

357 posts, read 247,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I apologize if there is already a thread about this. I couldn't find it.

I was listening to the Zillow CEO talking about their new plan to buy and sell homes and deal with mortgages, title, etc. It's interesting. I am sure many on here will dislike it. They said it won't hurt realtors because if they are in the business, there will still need to be buyers buying homes.

I would love to hear people's thoughts.
Didn’t read the other comments yet but this is common in my area, too. A lot of the bigger brokerages have branched out into adding a mortgage brokerage and also a title agency. It does make sense for Zillow to do more than just what they’re currently doing as part of their income is derived from agents paying for leads from them, and most have caught on that it’s akin to throwing money straight into the trash.

Personally I am all for the way we do real estate evolving into what suits the consumers. After all, my duty is to serve consumers and I can’t stay in business if I’m not doing that. I think it’s interesting, even if I’m not a huge fan of Zillow.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:32 AM

2 posts, read 883 times
Default Zillow Offer

I read through postings to learn how Zillow Offer works, but to me it sounds like Zillow is just one of cash offer purchaser then Seller would still want to see other offers. I would think it’s safer to list on mls than just depending on Zestimate.
My condo’s Zestimate is $50,000 less than Redfin estimate. Then, I will contact Redfin...

But as I’m a realtor and premier agent I may jump in as local rep to see how it goes if they accept me at $2000/month spending. I have been spending close to $1500/month anyway for last couple years. I have always been thinking I should have gone to Redfin partner (Not the one hired by Redfin) that would broaden my line of income. It will be similar kind of opportunity.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:03 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No signal hill View Post
I read through postings to learn how Zillow Offer works, but to me it sounds like Zillow is just one of cash offer purchaser then Seller would still want to see other offers. I would think it’s safer to list on mls than just depending on Zestimate.
My condo’s Zestimate is $50,000 less than Redfin estimate. Then, I will contact Redfin...

But as I’m a realtor and premier agent I may jump in as local rep to see how it goes if they accept me at $2000/month spending. I have been spending close to $1500/month anyway for last couple years. I have always been thinking I should have gone to Redfin partner (Not the one hired by Redfin) that would broaden my line of income. It will be similar kind of opportunity.
Why not just learn how to generate your own business? Zillow and Redfin are not your friends. They are your competition and you're paying them.

Also, as a real estate agent why would you even consider selling your home to Zillow offers? Between the fees they charge, the lower prices they offer, and the strict post inspection negotiations you would know better than anyone and have the best resources to get a much better price.

Old 09-14-2019, 03:44 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

We had one client that moved here using Zillow's iBuyer program and she said she walked away from $20k for the convenience. I honestly don't know many people that can walk away from that kind of cash so I think iBuyer will have a market segment, but I don't think it will be a big one.
I would walk away from an illusory/possible 20 grand to get my house sold.

I went the usual route with a realtor. Followed his advice, priced it competitively, etc. I did not get one offer. This has been a colossal waste of my time and a complete invasion of my privacy. When I add in all the time I spent painting, cleaning, decluttering, repairing---its probably been a year of my life preparing for an event that never happened.

Here's what I now know about my area: There's not a shortage of inventory, but a shortage of specific inventory. Also, buyers expect thousands of dollars in closing help...some buyers in my neighborhood are getting $10,000 + in closing help. Also, they want every little thing fixed per inspection. My agent told me to expect another $1500 request for repairs after the inspection.

So, from my perspective, I'm paying at least 15% to sell with a realtor (adding commission + specific upgrades+ closing help + repairs) and that's in addition to several showings, maybe an open house, an inspection, an appraisal, and hoping buyer's financing goes through.

OR

Paying 20% to sell on my timetable with no showings, no inspections, no appraisal, no headache? To me, it's totally worth it. I would go with homelight simple sale, though as it compares ibuyers and you get several offers.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:51 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
the ibuyer programs do have inspection repair costs and additional closing costs paid by the Seller.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:31 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,800,839 times
I do not think these programs will be good for realtors but they are inevitable. There is too much opportunity for money on the table for a well funded app-based conglomerate. Agents will play a part but will most likely just be tour and transaction agents receiving small fixed fees or percentage amounts. I see an eventual Carmax-type model emerging. Not my wish but the writing is on the wall. As virtual listings improve and companies like Zillow are able to offer legitimate valued warrantees and honest and accurate representations of the home being sold consumers will become more accepting of these models. It is conceivable that a company like Zillow could become the Carmax of real estate offering one-stop shopping where a home buyer can sell, buy and get financing or a cash out all in one place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals