Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 05:18 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,400,913 times

Advertisements

There are several lawsuits in the pipeline that raise federal antitrust issues regarding price fixing collusion between NAR and major real estate brokerages on agent commissions. Some major law firms have piled on seeking a piece of the action.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...cid=spartanntp contains a detailed discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 05:29 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
No one believes the 6%.
It’s muckraking.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:14 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Old news. Without getting into the details they'll have to amend the suit, but it will see it's day in court. Given the information, I feel facts fall on the NAR/RE side fof the fence.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:35 AM

It is an interesting situation.

NAR helped bring this amateur lawsuit on themselves with the stupidity of COE Standards 12.1 and 12.2. "Buyers Agency is FREE because sellers pay."
NAR should have evolved more quickly to recognize buyers' agent fees as buyer expenses, and to correct the CFPB who designated buyers agent fees as seller expenses.
NAR should have for years lobbied for lending parameters that allow buyers to roll agent fees into their loans accurately, as buyer expense.
Additionally, NAR has turned a blind eye to unsupervised and/or unethical agents who openly refer to "discount agents" and to "standard commissions," and who openly state that they will not show properties listed by agents using alternate models.

Of course, looking forward, unless buyers are able to finance their agent fees properly and openly, many buyers will either not use buyers' agents, or only will buy lower priced homes.
Elimination of buyers' agents, and a trend to buyers working directly with a listing agent who has fiduciary duties to the seller only will disserve a great many buyers, and particularly first timers.

Reducing the value of all current properties by an amount equal to the local most common cobroke commission rates will not help cash strapped buyers purchase, unless they are able to openly roll in their commissions to their loans.

So, a victory by the complainant has potential to reduce property liquidity and to reduce access to insights and advocacy for buyers who decide to go directly to listing agents to purchase.
The likelihood of a settlement that truly offsets those effects is low.

The lawsuit is certainly BS.
NAR is also certainly guilty of BS.
Eagerly watching to see the legal process unfold.
But, as the vapid report by CNN goes viral, the Court of Public Opinion will continue to weigh in.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:13 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times
I use to split 50/50 with buyer agents. But, I realized I’m worth more, so I give myself more than what I offer to a buyer agent. Besides, why would a buyer agent (or, really, their broker) allow their compensation to be completely controlled by an outside brokerage or a home seller? Seems like a bad way to conduct business. Additionally, if they really are limiting what properties they’ll show their customer, based on the offered commission, aren’t they really making themselves work harder (and longer) for their buyer?

Old 05-16-2019, 07:54 AM

The complaint PDF:
https://www.hbsslaw.com/uploads/case...-complaint.pdf

Some additional story links:

Forbes:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alyyale.../#57851fab2a44

Fox:
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...ss-action-suit

Washington Post:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/reale...=.d67344c2c8eb

NAR FAQ for members regarding Moehrl suit:
https://c-3sux78kvnkay9x24yvggx78x2eius.g01.msn.com/g00/3_c-3ccc.syt.ius_/c-3SUXKVNKAY9x24nzzvyx3ax2fx2fyvggx78.iusx2fcv-iutzktzx2favrugjyx2f8675x2f61x2fTGX-skshkx78-LGWy.vjl_$/$/$/$/$/$?i10c.ua=5

DOJ and commission rebates:
https://www.justice.gov/atr/rebates

Old 05-16-2019, 09:04 AM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I use to split 50/50 with buyer agents. But, I realized I’m worth more...

Old 05-16-2019, 10:35 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
I use to split 50/50 with buyer agents. But, I realized I’m worth more, so I give myself more than what I offer to a buyer agent. Besides, why would a buyer agent (or, really, their broker) allow their compensation to be completely controlled by an outside brokerage or a home seller? Seems like a bad way to conduct business. Additionally, if they really are limiting what properties they’ll show their customer, based on the offered commission, aren’t they really making themselves work harder (and longer) for their buyer?

From an outsider's perspective, it actually seems like the buyer's agent does much more "leg work" than a listing agent.

You put it on the MLS, have an open house or two, and do some marketing.

We dragged our buyers' agent to probably a dozen different homes, some more than once, before we purchased.

Why are you "worth more" as a seller's agent?

Old 05-16-2019, 11:58 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,500,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
From an outsider's perspective, it actually seems like the buyer's agent does much more "leg work" than a listing agent.

You put it on the MLS, have an open house or two, and do some marketing.

We dragged our buyers' agent to probably a dozen different homes, some more than once, before we purchased.

Why are you "worth more" as a seller's agent?

What I didn't do in my post was compare my job as a seller's agent to that of a buyer's agent. I also didn't share what total % of purchase price I get in my listing agreement with a seller. But, to answer your question, "Why am I worth more?" Since I'm only selling properties that I've managed for several years, I have a lot more work to gather property-related information, since the seller has long forgotten much of that information (if they ever knew it at all). Also, in some cases, I'm performing a balancing act with selling a property that is still tenant-occupied, which requires a considerably higher level of communication and coordination.

We each have different roles. As long as a buyer's agent relies on the offered compensation by a cooperating broker as their sole source of income, then they're setting up themselves to work for free, in the hopes that the hard work will pay off. Some day.

@Diana Holbrook. I'm glad you got some humor from my post. Shall I presume you're a buyer's agent?

Old 05-16-2019, 12:14 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
@Diana Holbrook. I'm glad you got some humor from my post. Shall I presume you're a buyer's agent?

I usually prefer being a buyer's agent, but I do both.

Most listing agents in our area split 50-50 and I think that is what the spirit of the cooperative agreement in the MLS intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals