Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

We have about 20 property managers (commercial/industrial), and they are not paid a percentage, but are strictly salaried. While most are licensed they do not have to be because they are managing our properties. Licenses are only required to manage someone else's property. Salaries start at $83,000 and go up to $145,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 12:16 PM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
10% is typical, but it is customary in my market if the owner hires a real estate agent to lease out the house to pay a service fee of 1 month rent. Evictions are done through attorneys.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:06 PM

738 posts, read 764,262 times
10 units of apartments isn't a full time job. If anything you should trade management for an apartment at free or heavily reduced rent. It's no uncommon for leasing, management, basic accounting(coding payables, booking, check cutting and creating owners reports), and basic handyman work to be 15% of rents. So you can get anything from 2-15% depending on what you are actually doing.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:55 AM

34 posts, read 15,058 times
Default salary Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have about 20 property managers (commercial/industrial), and they are not paid a percentage, but are strictly salaried. While most are licensed they do not have to be because they are managing our properties. Licenses are only required to manage someone else's property. Salaries start at $83,000 and go up to $145,000.
Interesting. Heres a question though- It would seem that if you paid them a pct.-say 5% of the gross income you'd be saving money rather than paying them that hourly rate.. Since the property management expense directly affects the ROI of the property, why do that?

Old 06-13-2019, 10:57 AM

Default salary q

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
10 units of apartments isn't a full time job. If anything you should trade management for an apartment at free or heavily reduced rent. It's no uncommon for leasing, management, basic accounting(coding payables, booking, check cutting and creating owners reports), and basic handyman work to be 15% of rents. So you can get anything from 2-15% depending on what you are actually doing.
Maybe including leasing and all is more than 5%, but management pct more than 5%-I dont think so..

Old 06-13-2019, 12:41 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,498,609 times
I'm pretty sure there are salary guides available online for nearly every profession. Much of that could be guided by location, since cost of living greatly varies.

You should also have a definition for what a property manager is, and what they do, in your company. Depending on your company size and structure, a PM could be doing a number of different things, or they may have a limited role. Are they expected to bring new business and be compensated for that? Or do you have a different role for business development, separate from the role of a PM? Are they a leasing agent, or do you have a separate role for leasing activities? Just wanted to throw some questions out there.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:57 PM

Default advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I'm pretty sure there are salary guides available online for nearly every profession. Much of that could be guided by location, since cost of living greatly varies.

You should also have a definition for what a property manager is, and what they do, in your company. Depending on your company size and structure, a PM could be doing a number of different things, or they may have a limited role. Are they expected to bring new business and be compensated for that? Or do you have a different role for business development, separate from the role of a PM? Are they a leasing agent, or do you have a separate role for leasing activities? Just wanted to throw some questions out there.
well Eric you yourself as a property manager-how do you get paid or pay?

Old 06-13-2019, 04:07 PM

I own my company and I'm a solo operator. So, my circumstance is a bit different. I keep all the income and don't have to split it with anyone else in my company.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:04 PM

Default salary q

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
I own my company and I'm a solo operator. So, my circumstance is a bit different. I keep all the income and don't have to split it with anyone else in my company.
Gotcha-Though how much of your time is taken that keeps you away from other endeavors..

Old 06-14-2019, 10:35 AM

I'm using a lot of technology in my business that saves my time. Online payments, online/automated scheduling, online resident portal for maintenance requests. I'm not overworked at all. I manage about 80 units right now, but I've had as many as 135, and that was before I had as much tech helping me, as I do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals