Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:24 PM

965 posts, read 4,500,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbychoice14 View Post
Here in Kentucky I wear business casual. A lot of that no wrinkle stuff just because you can climb in an attic or whatever and still look pulled together. I have never worn jeans to the office ,mostly black in some form . I do wear a suit or wrap dress on closing days.Never sleeveless because I once listened to a contractors wife dog the banker for having a sleeveless dress on at closing...it always just stuck with me. At my former office our broker didn't want any open toed shoes because "toe cleavage turns men on"...I kid you not she said that!
I keep rubber boats in my trunk for walking acreage...of course they are black with white polka dots and a smidge of hot pink! And I always have baby wipes to clean my shoes.
Say what! Toe cleavage?!? Alllllrighty!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 06:17 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
When I worked in Boca Raton I wore suits all the time. Always dress for success is my way of looking at it. It's also expected in that area and is the norm.

When I first went up to look in Port St. Lucie I was appalled at what the Realtors were wearing. You couldn't tell the client from the Realtor! I had to ask!

Now I am working in Port St. Lucie myself and I still say- DRESS FOR SUCCESS!
I don't wear suits here since that would be over the top dressing for the area. I DO still wear dress pants, heels, and since it's summer, a matching polo-type shirt so I "fit in". If I go out after working....I stick out like a sore thumb.

Still a few of us like dressing well but I sometimes wonder what impression people get when they see the shorts and boat shoes and short sleeve shirts (not dress shirts). Ties? Pretty much out of the question here. I actually know men who refuse to ever wear them again much less a suit.

Well..no matter... I am me and I will continue to always look nice and professional to my clients and I think I get more respect than the ones who look like they just got out of bed.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:49 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,575 times
I usually wear a skirt/dress/dress slacks when out with clients. We have a no jean/flip flop policy at our office but I know on the weekends and night agents go in there with jeans on. We have lots of people in/out of the office during the day so that is the reason for the dress policy. My office is tucked away in the back (fought hard for it!) so I don't see everyone all the time to know what exactly is worn by others - I really don't care

Old 09-18-2008, 05:40 PM

815 posts, read 2,998,701 times
surprised by so many people in the jeans. They are the biggest no no here. Although its because the owner of the company doesn't like them (not professional). Don't see them much from the other companies around here either. And Northwest Indiana is a lot of blue collar, so it is somewhat of a surprise. If you are in the office in jeans you better not be seeing clients (or let other agents clients see you in them either, stay out of public areas).

It business casual here. Suits (I am a guy) highly recommended (my office broker wears one most of the time)
I don't think I would wear jeans to work even if it was ok to do so.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:35 PM

55 posts, read 122,591 times
It's all about personal Branding, at least for me. The last thing I want is to look like my competition. Branding is about differentiating yourself and adding value ... and the last thing I want is to be associated with the typical Agent. Instead, I want to stand out, and have people talk about me behind my back. When I walk into a room of other Agents, everybody there knows of me, even if I've never met them before - because I'm the only one wearing Blue Jeans.

When I met with Clients the first time, they say "you're the Blue Jeans Agent we've heard about", primarily because other Agents they're talking with have mentioned me and my attire.

People that judge the book by the cover probably won't want to work with me. That's okay, there's another group of people that are much more comfortable with me, and they're the ones I'd prefer working with. I'm the "Blue Jeans Agent".

Old 12-12-2013, 02:24 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
If you come to my house looking for a listing dressed in jeans, see ya later!

Old 12-13-2013, 07:19 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
We had a new agent in the office that had to be pulled aside and tactfully told that her attire was inappropriate. Let's put it this way, her skirt was so short, you might be able to tell what color thong she was wearing, and she felt that her best "assets" required a deeply scooped neckline with a strategically placed rhinestone button riiiight at the stress point . . .

She would have probably gotten clients, but they wouldn't have been buying real estate . . .

Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
We had a new agent in the office that had to be pulled aside and tactfully told that her attire was inappropriate. Let's put it this way, her skirt was so short, you might be able to tell what color thong she was wearing, and she felt that her best "assets" required a deeply scooped neckline with a strategically placed rhinestone button riiiight at the stress point . . .

She would have probably gotten clients, but they wouldn't have been buying real estate . . .
ah, do you have her address?

Old 12-13-2013, 11:06 AM

652 posts, read 1,304,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post

I was in a CE class once with an agent whose skirt was incredibly short and her shirt was ultra-sheer (if you catch my drift). Her phone never stopped ringing ....

Old 12-13-2013, 12:13 PM

174 posts, read 396,718 times
I think there is no such thing as being over dressed for real estate. You would hate to lose a listing just because of not looking professional even if you offer better services.

I wear dress slacks and a tie everyday to the office. On listing appt. I have a sport coat I wear, but since it is getting cold I have a very nice black jacket that is made of waterproof material I wear to stay warmer.

My thought is you'll never lose a listing by over dressing, but I think you definitely can lose one by being under dressed. Some people in the office dress the part depending on the price of the listing, suit and tie for higher end, slacks and maybe a polo for others...I figure if you're consistent it makes things easier.

Just my opinion...

-Trent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals