Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 03:45 AM

276 posts, read 283,065 times

Advertisements

We are almost 60 days through our 90 day listing.
I was told by someone that when you are listed, agents cannot contact you during your listing.
If we plan to re list with an agent in our town, rather an agent in the next town, WHEN can we contact an agent? Do we have to wait until the expiration date of the listing?
We want as little time as possible to get the listing with the other in town agent up and running, photographs, etc.
If we are able to contact the new agent during our listing, discuss our selling objectives, be able to sign a listing the day after expiration, have a photographer lined up for the next day, that would be ideal!
Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 04:05 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
You can contact the agent any time. You can sign the listing agreement today with the stipulation that it takes effect upon expiration of your current listing agreement.
You can complete new disclosure forms now, dated for the day after expiration.
You should not disparage your current agent in any way or lead the new agent into similar disparagement or gossip. Just keep it objective business.
They can shoot the house the day after expiration, and you should be able to be on the market within a day or two.

The new agent's behavior is regulated and there are ethical expectations.
The agent should in no way solicit your listing, or give you a sales pitch.
The agent cannot advertise the property in any way, including "talking it up," until their listing agreement is in effect after the termination.
The agent should arrange their own photos, whether they shoot or they have a photographer. Should not reuse your current agent's photos without permission.
The agent should do their own write up, and not steal the other agent's work.
The agent should certainly not criticize, "bad mouth," the current agent in any way.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 08-08-2019 at 04:14 AM..

Old 08-08-2019, 05:20 AM

357 posts, read 248,065 times
I agree with the above. But I’m curious why you are seeking to go with someone else already. And who the heck only does a 3 month listing agreement? That is not typical in my market. Even with the market being hotter right now, some price ranges sell faster than others, particular houses have problems that make them less desirable in comparison to others, some are just not priced right (this is the case more often than not).

Old 08-08-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaTownsley View Post
I agree with the above. But I’m curious why you are seeking to go with someone else already. And who the heck only does a 3 month listing agreement? That is not typical in my market. Even with the market being hotter right now, some price ranges sell faster than others, particular houses have problems that make them less desirable in comparison to others, some are just not priced right (this is the case more often than not).

I have done as short as 30 day listings, letting the client "test drive" my work with right to not extend.
There is little risk in a sellers' market, as long as I do my job.
And, I actually quit doing it because a few people wondered about MY commitment...

People are leery of "marrying" an agent for extended periods, and the stories here are legion of folks who wish they could get out of their listing agreement for one legitimate reason or another.

We often see listings that are withdrawn within 60 days. I just figure it is a bad fit between agent and client.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:39 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Why would anyone (besides agents) want a listing agreement for a longer period? They shouldn't lock themselves in for longer than they're comfortable. They could always re-up if desired.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I have done as short as 30 day listings, letting the client "test drive" my work with right to not extend.
There is little risk in a sellers' market, as long as I do my job.
And, I actually quit doing it because a few people wondered about MY commitment...

People are leery of "marrying" an agent for extended periods, and the stories here are legion of folks who wish they could get out of their listing agreement for one legitimate reason or another.

We often see listings that are withdrawn within 60 days. I just figure it is a bad fit between agent and client.
Most of ours here are 6 months. I don’t see too many withdrawn in a short time, mostly longer ones that are not selling. I’m sure it happens and I just haven’t noticed.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:49 AM

Anyway, for the stats on when a home sells in my market, it doesn’t make sense to do a 3 month. Your marketing is just getting enough traction to really get people looking. I’m not about to spend my time and money marketing and then have it expire at 3 months - whoever gets the listing after me will be reaping the benefits of the marketing I’ve already done. This is why I always mention that expireds often have a clause for the original LA to get some part of the commission for a set amount of time. That’s just what is normal in my area, and I mentioned in my first comment why a house may not sell as fast even in a hot market. Even if I advise the seller not to list at a certain price that I think is too high, it’s not up to me. If it’s reasonable, I would take the listing still and hope he comes to his senses sooner than later. But that can take a few months. From an agent’s perspective, it just doesn’t make sense IN MY MARKET.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Most of ours here are 6 months. I don’t see too many withdrawn in a short time, mostly longer ones that are not selling. I’m sure it happens and I just haven’t noticed.

"...sellers market..."
Over 30 days is stale here. 90 is a disaster.

And, one can extend in 10 minutes with a one page DocuSign addendum.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"...sellers market..."
Over 30 days is stale here. 90 is a disaster.

And, one can extend in 10 minutes with a one page DocuSign addendum.
Certain price ranges and neighborhoods here are much more highly favored over others. But if the price is seen as a good value, almost anything can go quickly, if the seller can live with the lower price point.

A re-up might be quick to execute but that’s still time spent and anxiety over the uncertainty of them renewing.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Certain price ranges and neighborhoods here are much more highly favored over others. But if the price is seen as a good value, almost anything can go quickly, if the seller can live with the lower price point.

A re-up might be quick to execute but that’s still time spent and anxiety over the uncertainty of them renewing.

No real time or anxiety when one is poised and recognizes that it is a "touch" with the client, among other open conversation during the process.
It is all about how an agent handles it, professionally and open, or less so.

And, usually, having earned trust with businesslike performance, a re-up is for longer than 60 days.

But, again, a few prospects wondered if they would be left in the lurch, with a Withdrawn listing on the MLS history, so I drifted away from offering it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals