Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 03:14 PM

339 posts, read 318,869 times

Advertisements

thinking about buying a piece of property...no house or realtor, just a seller, myself and a lawyer of course !
Who is responsible for most the legal fees, closing cost etc , buyer or seller?
Understand about the excise taxes and how that works but not sure about the basic lawyer fees.
Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 03:19 PM

357 posts, read 247,926 times
There are closing costs each party typically pays. The only thing you’ll avoid without a Realtor involved is commission. And you’ll have extra attorney’s fees to write up the purchase contract.

Old 07-29-2019, 03:37 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
The terms, and who pays for what, are negotiated between you.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:04 PM

ok, thanks to you both.
Just wanted a general idea before we got started into it as to about what could be expected per the buyer and the sellers costs burden.
No realtor needed here ..just neighbors making a land transaction so, we negotiate !

Old 07-29-2019, 04:08 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdash View Post
No realtor needed here

Unless you have questions, right?

Old 07-29-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
so true and hindsight being 20/20 I guess I should've asked at a legal forum !
In any event, thanks again !

Old 07-29-2019, 06:57 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:

Quote:
so true and hindsight being 20/20 I guess I should've asked at a legal forum !
In any event, thanks again !
Yup. Strangers on the internet give the best advice.

In all seriousness, if you were to find a legal forum I would find it doubtful that there is a cadre of attorneys who post there that are just waiting for your question.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:20 PM

357 posts, read 247,926 times
Quote:
The terms, and who pays for what, are negotiated between you.
Yes, ultimately this can all be negotiated.

In my state, there are things normally paid by each party, but of course that can be changed and agreed to as part of the contract. Doc stamp fees, title work and insurance, closing agent fees, etc. All typically assigned to one party or the other, but it’s up to you and the other party if you want to deviate from that. You can google for what is customary in your area to get an idea.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:23 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Which party customarily pays for particular closing costs is largely dependent upon which state you are in. For example, title insurance is customarily paid for by the Seller in Michigan but it is usually paid for by the Purchaser in others. As for legal fees, typically whoever hires the attorney to represent them pays for that unless a different arrangement is agreed to in the contract. Since you're just dealing with a neighbor, perhaps you could simply agree to split the costs for an attorney to handle the contract and closing documents--unless you each want representation, of course.

Who pays for each closing cost can be spelled out in your contract.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:38 PM

586 posts, read 554,726 times
Quote:
thinking about buying a piece of property...no house or realtor, just a seller, myself and a lawyer of course !
Who is responsible for most the legal fees, closing cost etc , buyer or seller?
Understand about the excise taxes and how that works but not sure about the basic lawyer fees.
Thanks !
I know—let's ask a forum of realtors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals