Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 09:44 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times

Advertisements

People get FHA loans 2 hours from work every day in DC, LA, SF and some others. Is your degree from a BS school or one that is actually regionally accredited.? You could do restaurant delivery 2 nights per week, and get a nice boost. Health cover should be more important than home ownership. Truck driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 09:49 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
People get FHA loans 2 hours from work every day in DC, LA, SF and some others. Is your degree from a BS school or one that is actually regionally accredited.? You could do restaurant delivery 2 nights per week, and get a nice boost. Health cover should be more important than home ownership. Truck driving?
It is from a regionally accredited school. Yes, I need a second job. I am a lady in my 50's so not sure about the truck driving gig! But maybe weekend receptionist or something similar. But it is my understanding I would have to do it for two years for the income to count towards a mortgage approval (unless the tax years crossed, so maybe a little less).

I am glad to hear people are getting approved that far away - that may be my best option.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:37 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
you should be working a 2nd job to earn additional income - if nothing more you could pay off the car loan early. Then accumulate funds for closing costs, downpayment, RESERVES (savings), etc.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:59 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,740 times
My local Target has a lady working there who’s in her 80s. You don’t have to be fit and young to work a register. They start at $13 per hour and they’re open until late evening as well as weekends. Plus you’ll get the discount. You could easily get 20 hours per week which would be a huge boost to your available cash.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:21 AM

30,517 posts, read 16,213,477 times
I'd recommend making an appointment at a lending institution (bank) and talk to them. I mean, face to face, no phoning or texting.

Have your figures ready. They can give you a better idea of what they'd require to give you a loan. At this point you're the one saying no.

That 750 credit score probably wouldn't be ignored.

Something you might consider is a duplex type place: rent one, live in one.

Good luck.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
My local Target has a lady working there who’s in her 80s. You don’t have to be fit and young to work a register. They start at $13 per hour and they’re open until late evening as well as weekends. Plus you’ll get the discount. You could easily get 20 hours per week which would be a huge boost to your available cash.
To be honest, my one full-time job by itself wears me out. I don't think I could do 60 hours a week at my age for the next two years. I don't think they make that here, anyways. I think they make about $ 10/hr (which would still help, though).

I expect I will need to get back to school and get a second degree or a masters - something that will pay enough to live on.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I'd recommend making an appointment at a lending institution (bank) and talk to them. I mean, face to face, no phoning or texting.

Have your figures ready. They can give you a better idea of what they'd require to give you a loan. At this point you're the one saying no.

Good luck.
I suppose it can't hurt. My credit is strong enough to take a hit from a hard credit check. I could buy something not too far away for around $120K. It would not be a great house, but decent enough.

$100K would buy me a SFH, but I would need to commute and it would probably be very rural (I don't want to be too isolated).

Old 08-06-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

Good luck.
So I should go to a bank rather than an independent broker?

Old 08-06-2019, 06:42 AM

30,517 posts, read 16,213,477 times
I tend to prefer banks. My checking and savings accounts are with the same bank as were my loans when I had them. Recently got a credit card through them. Saying them but it's actually the same bank.

I guess I'd say go to the place where you do you financial business or most of it.

If you do end up buying a less than desirable place, you could just keep it until you can build up some equity and a more solid debt/income ratio. In that case resale value would be more important than your own preferences.

Last edited by PAhippo; 08-06-2019 at 07:10 AM..

Old 08-07-2019, 04:09 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,321,180 times
Another thread with a lot of talk but no answers.

The answer is no, with your current debt.

$24,000 = $2,000 per month. FHA will "max out" all monthly payments at 55% of the monthly income, or $1080.

$1,080 - $800 = $280 left for any other monthly bills, so the $298 takes you over the line.

Solutions: a very slightly reduced interest rate from the lender, which can be obtained via seller concession paying to buy the rate down.

You should also look at a Home Ready/Home Possible loan, as they offer good rates and generally lower mortgage insurance (what are your credit scores?) but they come with tighter debt ratio requirements, so that is not a guaranteed option.

What scored did the lender pull for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals