Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM

26 posts, read 155,799 times

Advertisements

Hello all
I was wondering if you guys had this problem

Several times I had found my listings advertised by other agents. Once it was in a magazine with a photo I took of the property. I called the broker of that office and complained and the agent called me back to apologize with some lame excuse.

Recently, I noticed on craigslist, some photos and descriptions of a listing I thought I had seen on our MLS. At first I didn't think much of it since I thought the listing agent had them up. Then one day, there it was! MY LISTING, WITH MY PHOTOS AND MY DESCRIPTION, WORD FOR WORD.
I called the agent, left him a message(he called back thinking it was a lead) I ^%$^(*&^ and of course he gave some lame excuse and I just let him off, telling him to remove the listing.

He removed my listing but for weeks after, he still had other people's listings listed as if they were his own.

It's annoying that people are getting away with it and that I'm not really doing anything about it..

What would you or have you done in this situation????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM

286 posts, read 1,321,963 times
I'd check with your local Board about this. My understanding is - another realtor cannot advertise your listings, especially if you have an Exclusive Right to Sell listing.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:06 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times
It sounds like something that would be against the rules of the local MLS.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:18 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Yep to both above and it could be construed to mean you are interfering with the listing contract. You may have it in your contract that the seller doesn't want any craigslist postings. I would talk with your real estate agency and see if this violates your state laws.

I know that this is (or has been) an issue on Zillow.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:09 PM

469 posts, read 1,484,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thea72 View Post
Hello all
I was wondering if you guys had this problem

Several times I had found my listings advertised by other agents. Once it was in a magazine with a photo I took of the property. I called the broker of that office and complained and the agent called me back to apologize with some lame excuse.

Recently, I noticed on craigslist, some photos and descriptions of a listing I thought I had seen on our MLS. At first I didn't think much of it since I thought the listing agent had them up. Then one day, there it was! MY LISTING, WITH MY PHOTOS AND MY DESCRIPTION, WORD FOR WORD.
I called the agent, left him a message(he called back thinking it was a lead) I ^%$^(*&^ and of course he gave some lame excuse and I just let him off, telling him to remove the listing.

He removed my listing but for weeks after, he still had other people's listings listed as if they were his own.

It's annoying that people are getting away with it and that I'm not really doing anything about it..

What would you or have you done in this situation????

As long as the agent isnt using misinformation or posting ads that your seller told you not to post. Who cares if they advertise your listing that just means more exposure for your seller. I dont understand why so many agents make a big deal about this I get called every once in awhile buy an agent asking to advertise my listing. I always say yes as long as the media is ok with my seller. Get over it do what is best for your client.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:13 PM

469 posts, read 1,484,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Yep to both above and it could be construed to mean you are interfering with the listing contract. You may have it in your contract that the seller doesn't want any craigslist postings. I would talk with your real estate agency and see if this violates your state laws.

I know that this is (or has been) an issue on Zillow.
Silverfall,

I am really suprised that this would concern you. From the posting I have seen of yours you are usually a very level headed agent. You need to look at this as more exposure for your seller and be more concerned with what is best for them. If you do not have a problem with agents advertising your listings and you were just commenting on it being a violation of your MLS rules than sorry for post.

Are you part of the RMLS or do you have another MLS that far south? I use to work in the Portland market.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:51 PM

17,371 posts, read 14,613,136 times
It's happened to me.

Another agent posted my listings on craigslist and presented them as her own. "Brought to you by" , "Presented by" - verbage like that.

Irritating? Yes, definitely. And especially so because one of the listings was a home that we own personally.

I told my broker and she took care of it - told the agent to remove the listings or risk being reported.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:36 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesww View Post
Silverfall,

I am really suprised that this would concern you. From the posting I have seen of yours you are usually a very level headed agent. You need to look at this as more exposure for your seller and be more concerned with what is best for them. If you do not have a problem with agents advertising your listings and you were just commenting on it being a violation of your MLS rules than sorry for post.

Are you part of the RMLS or do you have another MLS that far south? I use to work in the Portland market.
The WVMLS is my MLS although I used to belong to the RMLS as well.

Actually I am a level headed agent. I just have high standards for agents. I don't want some yucky agent associated with a listing that I have. What if it is an agent or company that I DETEST? IDX is one thing, some yucky agent posting my listing on craigslist trying to sell it is another. If they glean a buyer, it means I need to work with them. YUCK!

I also have high standards for how I want my listings advertised. I have never seen one of these postings, but if they are controlling the content then I don't know what it says. Are they violating fair housing laws?

If an agent posts my listing on Craigslist and says "great area for retirees, not so great for families " in their comments and then puts home as listed by me, does it make me liable for their violations?

Exposure is one thing. Clients hire me to advertise well and according to all laws. If I allow someone to "advertise" my listing for me, I lose control of what they say about it. Controlling the image associated with the property is much more important to me...

I think I am doing what is in the best interest of my seller which is making sure that I have GOOD professional LEGAL advertising for them. That is what they hire me to do!

Old 04-10-2008, 05:48 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The WVMLS is my MLS although I used to belong to the RMLS as well.

Actually I am a level headed agent. I just have high standards for agents. I don't want some yucky agent associated with a listing that I have. What if it is an agent or company that I DETEST? IDX is one thing, some yucky agent posting my listing on craigslist trying to sell it is another. If they glean a buyer, it means I need to work with them. YUCK!

I also have high standards for how I want my listings advertised. I have never seen one of these postings, but if they are controlling the content then I don't know what it says. Are they violating fair housing laws?

If an agent posts my listing on Craigslist and says "great area for retirees, not so great for families " in their comments and then puts home as listed by me, does it make me liable for their violations?

Exposure is one thing. Clients hire me to advertise well and according to all laws. If I allow someone to "advertise" my listing for me, I lose control of what they say about it. Controlling the image associated with the property is much more important to me...

I think I am doing what is in the best interest of my seller which is making sure that I have GOOD professional LEGAL advertising for them. That is what they hire me to do!
All good stuff.
We have IDX to offer all listings.
It is available to everyone to use, and through IDX listing agents control the media and information posted with the home, to best serve the Seller.

No one is really advertising other Agents' listings to sell them. They are advertising them because they don't have any listings, ergo, no signs out. They want to generate sign calls for lead generation without regard to getting the listing sold. All IMO, of course...

Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,230 times
Quote:
I get called every once in awhile buy an agent asking to advertise my listing
And that's the point. You get called and asked, which is the proper thing for another agent to do. In our Association it is required that another agent do so. In our Association we have to sign off to share in the IDX..it's not required to allow other agents to promote or advertise your listings and at the bottom of the IDX listings it says what firm actually listed the property.
Why would anyone care? Because it is business...the listing brokerage's business. They should be promoted because it is their listing. They did the work, it's their inventory, not the other agents. It gives the impression that the other agent has done the work, has the reputation to have secured the listing when all of that is not true.
I'm quite sure it's against the rules of the op's association.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals