Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 03:37 PM

247 posts, read 235,711 times

Advertisements

Some agents keep “office hours” but I certainly would get ahold of my client in the event of an offer as long as it wasn’t past 8-9pm - but everyone runs their business differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 04:35 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
if the offer was received when the "call me" text went out, that's not good. Period. Even if something came up, another text "actually had an emergency, can't talk, we're getting an offer, will call in the morning"

However, the mom is NOT the party being represented. If you're hearing this directly from the daughter, OK. Otherwise, it's 3rd hand, and each person you're referring to as "she" - and it's unclear which she it is.

Also, it appears that by the time you posted the topic, the principal (daughter) and her agent had been in contact.

But YES - at the end of the day under normal circumstances, receiving an offer and not communicating it's existence and contents until 15 hours later is not generally acceptable.

And YES, folks 45+ might be very surprised how much real estate occurs by text vs phone

Old 11-06-2019, 04:37 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
As a buyer and seller, if it is important to me..to me..to me... I want to her my agents voice.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:40 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
and yes, if you call your agent, leave a message, and they choose to text you instead (without a "can't talk right now but here's my thoughts") then that's not right.

It is our job to communicate with clients in the manner they choose/prefer. If someone told me they wanted a nightly phone call at 8 pm, or they were across the world, then it's my and their decision to see if that works for both of us.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:04 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
So I use text and email a lot. It gives me a documentation trail which I have had to go back and use more than once.

So I use text for "small" communications like setting up showings, fast communication back and forth and yes, to let my clients know of an offer. I generally send the offer via email and text them to let them know the offer is in their email inbox. Then I ask to set up a time to talk or meet in person to go over the offer. So I don't think it is weird that she texted to let her know about the offer.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:26 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
if the offer was received when the "call me" text went out, that's not good. Period. Even if something came up, another text "actually had an emergency, can't talk, we're getting an offer, will call in the morning"

However, the mom is NOT the party being represented. If you're hearing this directly from the daughter, OK. Otherwise, it's 3rd hand, and each person you're referring to as "she" - and it's unclear which she it is.

Also, it appears that by the time you posted the topic, the principal (daughter) and her agent had been in contact.

But YES - at the end of the day under normal circumstances, receiving an offer and not communicating it's existence and contents until 15 hours later is not generally acceptable.

And YES, folks 45+ might be very surprised how much real estate occurs by text vs phone
To reply to your questions, i did hear it from the seller as well as her mom. Initially the seller was annoyed when she spoke to her mom on the phone (speaker) while I was at the house visiting. Then her mom spoke to me the next day and her daughter had softened that position because the broker called her in the morning. That was the nexus of our question regarding the % of texting in the business.

As I said, if I were a broker, I would text at the request of a client for sure, but other than a courtesy notification of a showing, or a head count of an open house, I can't imagine extending an offer via texting or a please call me with nothing additional. I worked in Wall Street and we were paid very well by high net worth clients and we literally did back flips including on Christmas day if required, often sacrificing what we had planned because they called and needed, something done for them. When I say this, it could even be like sending flowers to someone or getting a gift for someone. It was the ultimate personalized service but we got paid well for it. That is why I asked, because I am not too old to learn how things are done today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals