Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2019, 07:39 PM

6,356 posts, read 5,448,972 times

Advertisements

The RE internet groups are going nuts the past couple days after Newsday published their findings on a study to test for disparate service/treatment of racial minorities compared to whites by dozens of RE firms in the suburbs of NYC on Long Island.

https://projects.newsday.com/long-is...Svs8J2aFtbYvvI

It is a fairly long read but the study was quite thorough and carried out with integrity and disclosure (after the fact and for the reader) throughout. The findings are pretty jarring; especially the video recordings of what some of these agents said to people they believed to be potential clients.

Perhaps more upsetting than the blatant COE and Fair Housing violations clearly displayed by many of the agents who were recorded.....is the public response from OTHER AGENTS.

A very misguided fringe few call the whole thing a sham and actually defend the egregiously unethical and unlawful words and actions recorded and reported by this study. There's really no hope for folks like this and all we can do is weed them out.

An unfortunately significant number of folks, however, seem to be taking the somewhat well-intentioned yet not-quite-there approach to the evidence recorded in the study... to "Be Careful". As in "be careful what you say or do...you never know who is listening and, remember, this is the law".

My personal opinion (and fortunately that of several other agents with whom I'm personally close)...is that we should not be saying "be careful"...we should be saying "be better".

I'd encourage any Realtor who takes the profession seriously to read through the findings, watch the videos, and really take note of how even well-intentioned (and well received) "friendly smile and handshake" interactions really do show pretty clear evidence of disparate service of consumers based on the color of their skin.

We shouldn't not say or do these things because it says not to on an oath we all took and in federal law.....we should strive to eliminate these practices because it's just wrong.

Let's not just be careful.....let's be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 12:27 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,507,613 times
One of the most liberal areas. That doesnt surprise me. Liberals ie dems are the most racist people out there, always focused on identity, rather than just dealing with people.
If they went into the heartland, I would bet they would find people were treated much better by "deplorables", who judge people on the content of their character rather than the color of their skin, as MLK so famously stated.

Old 11-19-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
One of the most liberal areas. That doesnt surprise me. Liberals ie dems are the most racist people out there, always focused on identity, rather than just dealing with people.
If they went into the heartland, I would bet they would find people were treated much better by "deplorables", who judge people on the content of their character rather than the color of their skin, as MLK so famously stated.
That's probably the most ridiculous assertion I've read on here in a while; but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Personally I think a more accurate statement would be "if you were to do this study in an area of the country that is more racially integrated (be it a republican leaning or democrat-leaning voting district) the findings would not be as stark.

Segregation begets segregation; regardless of region.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 11-19-2019 at 07:35 AM..

Old 11-19-2019, 05:33 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times
it's stark, and unacceptable. it's a bit shocking the agents would act (be) as they did with strangers.

and a view into one market and a limited number of agents in that market. And semi-limited interactions in that market. I'd expect similar results generally across the nation and across markets and across agents though. sadly.

for the agents/Realtors among this forum, it's a reminder to treat all people equally based upon the same information and fact set.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:54 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,313,582 times
Quote:
Long Island is a swing area and went for Trump in 2016. It went for Obama the two elections before that. Hardly one of the most liberal areas. Facts. You should try them sometime.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:04 PM

8,563 posts, read 12,339,419 times
Quote:
I am neither a liberal or a Democrat, but that is probably one of the most ridiculous statements that anyone will ever read in the real estate forum.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it's stark, and unacceptable. it's a bit shocking the agents would act (be) as they did with strangers.

and a view into one market and a limited number of agents in that market. And semi-limited interactions in that market. I'd expect similar results generally across the nation and across markets and across agents though. sadly.

for the agents/Realtors among this forum, it's a reminder to treat all people equally based upon the same information and fact set.
Yep. Agreed.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:31 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,507,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Long Island is a swing area and went for Trump in 2016. It went for Obama the two elections before that. Hardly one of the most liberal areas. Facts. You should try them sometime.
If you read the article, it even states that it is one of the most liberal areas...

Old 11-20-2019, 07:25 AM

10,940 posts, read 21,916,982 times
Why I Hate Politics 101

It dehumanizes people. They become a label, an affiliation, a race, and a stat. They become deplorables, white supremacists, enablers, Antifa. I wish people could just be treated equally. Our country is the greatest in the world, but politicians keep their place by being fear mongers. The 2 party system keeps good people down and prevents people from working together for solutions.

In this day and age, there is no excuse for such behavior. Anyway, rant over, soap box going back in the closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals