Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2019, 05:26 PM

53 posts, read 45,268 times

Advertisements

We are buying a house in NJ. The seller disclosure marked "no" regarding knowledge of termites etc but the house inspection revealed termite damage in some of the wood next to newer wood that was replaced obviously due to termite damage. The inspector said repair is fine as long as it was accompanied by termite treatment.

So our real estate attorney requested a treatment with 1 year warranty from the sellers and/or prior termite treatment paperwork. There was no paperwork so the sellers got a quote of $1500 treatment from Terminex asking us to pay half. Does this quote sound accurate for a 2700 sq ft house in NJ?

Last edited by Beagoodneighbor2; 11-26-2019 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 09:07 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
Personally, I'm not a big fan of Terminex. I prefer to hire local pest control companies. I feel the level of work done and level of customer service is often superior than what you would get at a big chain/franchise operation like Terminex.

As for the cost . . . your real estate agent would be a great resource for this. I'm not sure we have anyone who posts here from NJ who would know local pricing on something like this.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:23 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagoodneighbor2 View Post
Does this quote sound accurate for a 2700 sq ft house in NJ?
Gee, why don't you call around to several termite companies?

PS. Never trust the seller, or the realtors. Always verify it yourself, independently.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:30 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,790 times
What kind of world do we live in, where you cannot trust your Real Estate Agent, nor the Pest Removal service whom has a voluminous reputation.....
and in a court of law we are found at a loss because we should have known better?

...and we paid good money for both

Old 11-28-2019, 11:11 AM

43,276 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
What kind of world do we live in, where you cannot trust your Real Estate Agent, nor the Pest Removal service whom has a voluminous reputation.....
and in a court of law we are found at a loss because we should have known better?

...and we paid good money for both

There is always documentation from the pest and termite people. A buyer should have it in hand.
Terminex is generally more expensive than a local, non-franchise, non-corporate provider.
The $1500 sounds about right for a Terminex franchisee in a high-cost state like NJ, but I agree with MikePRU. I would shop it with local people.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:51 AM

66 posts, read 349,465 times
Default Price seems right...

We had treatment from ABCon two years ago in southern NJ for $1400. No damage, so preventative treatment only, but it was quite involved with a lot of drilling holes in concrete etc. 3 guys working for over 8 hours. So your price seems about right. It should already come with 1 year warranty with options to renew it every year. Some of the bigger companies were pitching using "bait" out in the yard instead of drilling and applying along the foundation, which I found suspect. All four of the quotes I received were similarly priced, just different approaches.

I don't think I'd agree to pay half, though. They obviously tried to hide it and lied about it, so make them pay! Of course it depends on a lot of personal factors, like how bad you want the house, etc.

Since there was some damage, I'd be concerned that there is more that you haven't discovered yet. And I'm very surprised that someone who had termite damage wouldn't have hired a pest control company to treat afterwards. Just the mere sight of a couple termites snooping around drove me to cough up the cash! There are a lot of areas that are highly susceptible to termites here in NJ, so I wouldn't don't take chances.

Good luck to you on the house!

Old 12-02-2019, 09:57 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerkd1 View Post
I don't think I'd agree to pay half, though. They obviously tried to hide it and lied about it, so make them pay! Of course it depends on a lot of personal factors, like how bad you want the house, etc.

Since there was some damage, I'd be concerned that there is more that you haven't discovered yet. And I'm very surprised that someone who had termite damage wouldn't have hired a pest control company to treat afterwards. Just the mere sight of a couple termites snooping around drove me to cough up the cash! There are a lot of areas that are highly susceptible to termites here in NJ, so I wouldn't don't take chances.

Good luck to you on the house!
I don't know what the NJ disclosure requires, but at least in NC, where termite damage is frequent, the disclosure says "any past damage that has not been repaired".

If the joist was found with inactive damage, and the new joist sistered, that's repair. If active termites were found only there, and spot treated, then the sistered joist, that's also repaired.

So, neither would require disclosure in NC.

But again, that's not NJ.

edit - I should have googled first.

http://www.realmart.com/pdf/SellerDisclosure.pdf

line 70, question 20 would seem to put the Seller's answer in question, certainly if THEY had the repair done (which would also call into ? the answer to #16-18).

Still, possible the work was done before their purchase, depending on how long they'd owned the home.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:09 AM

66 posts, read 349,465 times
Default You're right

You're right though, Bo, I did jump to a conclusion without the facts. Maybe they didn't know.
If it were me, I'd still insist they pay for the treatment in full. But that's just me.

I've had many friends go through devastating termite damage, due to the NJ penchant for bulldozing trees and orchards and building new homes on top. I'd want a thorough inspection and treatment at a minimum before even considering the house. That's just been my experience, and why I have trouble believing they didn't know, but not everyone is as sensitive about the issue as me, (at least until they have to pay out for structural damage).

But back to the question, the price is close to what I paid and to the other three quotes I received. The chemical they use is expensive, and it's a time consuming process. I agree that a local company would probably be a better choice over the big chains. They seem to count on the odds that there probably won't be a reinfestation, and then try to weasle out of paying if there is, (Google some reviews on the national chains).

The Abcon service I used were local family owned with a lot of experience. They guaranteed for three years, which was better than the others. In fact, they're coming out today to re-inspect and treat if necessary which is all part of the original price. After the initial 3 year period, we can renew year to year for additional cost.

Whether they pay, you pay, or you both pay half, definitely get it done and stay on top of it afterwards!

Old 12-03-2019, 10:15 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times
I think it also depends on whether there is an accompanying "termite bond". Seems like we were worried that our termite bond had lapsed on the house we sold in Charlotte and were quoted ~$1K for a renewal of the bond, which included an inspection. I might be mis-rembering the quote, though.

This was a ~3600 sq/ft house in NC where termite inspection/treatment/bonding is very common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals