Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 03:14 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times

Advertisements

First time low-income home buyer, buying small cottage in a seller's market (although, home has been on the market awhile due to size, I guess. It is in good shape).

Realtor would not negotiate to add in a washer and dryer (or concession).

Realtor said "could not" add buyer lawyer approval contingency (although, it is one of the boxes that can be checked on the contract).

I have not signed a thing yet and am feeling uneasy about her. Am I overreacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 03:48 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Personal property (non-installed items) should be negotiated separately and outside the purchase contract unless specified as included in said contract. The listing agent discloses what is included in the sale, everything else is not included would be considered personal property. An example, a riding lawnmower may or may not be sold along with the home and can be negotiated.

Both the signed contract and the personal property that was negotiated can be handled at the closing but would be two different transactions.

If there is any additional confusion, talk about it with your Realtor. Most important, such rules and procedures could differ slightly from city to city, county to county, state to state. There is no definitive answer everywhere.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:57 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,510 times
Ask her why. It sounds like she’s trying to have you put in your strongest offer and not be asking for things , since you are low income and in a seller’s market in your area. If you’re really interested in getting this place don’t get hung up on a washer and dryer.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:03 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Is this realtor representing the seller?

If you make a written offer, the realtor has to present it to the seller (at least in my area).

Old 12-14-2019, 05:38 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Personal property (non-installed items) should be negotiated separately and outside the purchase contract unless specified as included in said contract. The listing agent discloses what is included in the sale, everything else is not included would be considered personal property. An example, a riding lawnmower may or may not be sold along with the home and can be negotiated.

Both the signed contract and the personal property that was negotiated can be handled at the closing but would be two different transactions.

If there is any additional confusion, talk about it with your Realtor. Most important, such rules and procedures could differ slightly from city to city, county to county, state to state. There is no definitive answer everywhere.
That is state dependent. A washer and dryer can be included in NC as part of the purchase, like the refrigerator, dishwasher, range or microwave. I just sold a house in NC and on the contract, all listed were included as "personal property included". I actually had to have them remove the microwave because it wasn't there when they viewed the property (it was a small counter top one I had removed before putting the house on the market).

Old 12-14-2019, 07:25 PM

The lawyer contingency bothers me. It seems to me most buyers would want a lawyer contingency or am I wrong?

The washer/dryer I can live without, but it bothers me that she was not willing to even bring it up with the seller.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:53 PM

1,185 posts, read 750,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
The lawyer contingency bothers me. It seems to me most buyers would want a lawyer contingency or am I wrong?

The washer/dryer I can live without, but it bothers me that she was not willing to even bring it up with the seller.
It really depends on the state for your first issue. Here in TX that would be a head-scratcher.

Can you answer exactly who this realtor represents and what store you’re in?

Old 12-14-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chingaso View Post
It really depends on the state for your first issue. Here in TX that would be a head-scratcher.

Can you answer exactly who this realtor represents and what store you’re in?
I am in FL, Tampa Bay area.

Realtor is supposed to be representing me.

This is all new to me, I don't know what the norm is and I am nervous.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:20 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
If you didn’t sign anything, they do not represent you. Is it a standard contract? Run it by an attorney now.

Old 12-15-2019, 04:28 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
A seller will “never” buy you a new washer and dryer to go with the house. They might leave an old one if you ask for it. But not always.

Never heard of something called a lawyer contingency. What state are you in? Maybe an agent from that state can explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals