Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2020, 12:06 PM

445 posts, read 219,655 times

Advertisements

Hi:

Hoping someone with assessor's knowledge has some guidance for me on this. I'm helping a relative review their property assessment. Last year, they added an outbuilding with a storage loft. It's approx 20x14'. When the assessor added it to their property card, they describe it as a "guest cottage". Not sure why, but the siding matches the siding on their house. The shed/outbuilding/"cottage" has electricity, but no plumbing, no bathroom, no sink, no heat, no air. The assessor also says in the notes that the unit "has drywall", which isn't completely accurate (not sure if it matters). It's OSB that's painted.

I checked some similar structures, mostly wood shops that are detached and similar to what they are calling a "guest cottage", and they describe those as "storage building, wood".

I guess my question is where to go to look at how these things are differentiated, and why the difference in terminology exists, and ultimately, how that might differ as far as the assessed value? Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 01:33 PM

6,472 posts, read 10,341,133 times
As best that I can determine from your explanation, the assessor made the determination that the add-on was considered living space under a roof and had to categorize the add-on as best as they could based on the municipality guidelines which can be modified by the taxing authority periodically.

It will effect the assessed value of the home/property and result in an increase of the taxable assessment. If you or your relative need further clarification, you should reach out to the assessor's office/taxing authority (city or county, whichever is responsible) for assistance.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
As best that I can determine from your explanation, the assessor made the determination that the add-on was considered living space under a roof and had to categorize the add-on as best as they could based on the municipality guidelines which can be modified by the taxing authority periodically.

It will effect the assessed value of the home/property and result in an increase of the taxable assessment. If you or your relative need further clarification, you should reach out to the assessor's office/taxing authority (city or county, whichever is responsible) for assistance.

Thanks, but I guess that's the heart of the question -- how is that determined whether or not it's considered a "guest cottage" or "storage building". Is there anything in the Building Code, or similar source used that has guidance? I wanted to get as much info. first before talking to the assessor. I don't have access to Marshall/Swift, Craftsman, or other sources. Was hoping someone did, and could help.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:26 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,541,508 times
I'm assuming that your relative had to acquire a building permit to install the shed. That would have spelled everything out to the assessor. It's definitely not living area. Schedule an appeal and take a lot of photos to prove that. Most assessors would rule in your favor.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:54 PM

21,922 posts, read 9,488,758 times
I wouldn't get caught up in the name. I would just call the assessor's office and get it corrected.

Old 01-14-2020, 04:01 PM

Thanks! Yes, the permit said "shed".

Old 01-14-2020, 04:28 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,896,476 times
My guess is that an assessor either looked at aerial photos or did a drive by.

An appeal is the way to go.

I hope your relative hasn't missed the deadline.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
My guess is that an assessor either looked at aerial photos or did a drive by.

An appeal is the way to go.

I hope your relative hasn't missed the deadline.

Nope -- informal process right now, so we will try and get it cleared up. I also noticed that they valued the "cottage" higher than it's replacement cost (the RCN on the card), which is indeed odd.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals