Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 11:06 AM

654 posts, read 361,703 times

Advertisements

I'm currently looking for a new home and have a buyer's agent.

I went to an open house yesterday. I had let the seller's agent know before the open house that I already have a buyer's agent (and I shared the name of the buyer's agent). I went on my own: no need to bug my buyer's agent on a Sunday for something that took just a few minutes and that I could do myself.

The seller's agent who handled the open house (who works with the first seller's agent who I contacted) emailed me today, asking if I had questions or anything.

I responded to the second seller's agent by giving the name of the buyer's agent who I'm working with, and I mentioned that the buyer's agent or I would be in touch, and that I'd really be most interested in something smaller in the neighborhood, even if it's not currently on the market.

I thought I was fine, since I mentioned, twice, that I have a buyer's agent. I'm not looking to circumvent anyone's commission; I just thought that if the seller's agent knew of additional homes that might be going on the market, the seller's agent could work with my buyer's agent and make a deal.

But the seller's agent responded, "GVLNATIVE, I've reached out to the buyer's agent you mentioned. Further communication needs to be through the buyer's agent. You should direct any questions to the buyer's agent."

That was kind of scolding, wasn't it? Do I need to apologize or explain myself to anyone? I had already told the seller's agent beforehand that I had a buyer's agent so the seller's agent shouldn't have forgotten!

Thanks.

Last edited by GVLNATIVE; 01-06-2020 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 11:24 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
I'm currently looking for a new home and have a buyer's agent.

I went to an open house yesterday. I had let the seller's agent know before the open house that I already have a buyer's agent (and I shared the name of the buyer's agent). I went on my own: no need to bug my buyer's agent on a Sunday for something that took just a few minutes and that I could do myself.

The seller's agent who handled the open house (who works with the first seller's agent who I contacted) emailed me today, asking if I had questions or anything.

I responded to the second seller's agent by giving the name of the buyer's agent who I'm working with, and I mentioned that the buyer's agent or I would be in touch, and that I'd really be most interested in something smaller in the neighborhood, even if it's not currently on the market.

I thought I was fine, since I mentioned, twice, that I have a buyer's agent. I'm not looking to circumvent anyone's commission; I just thought that if the seller's agent knew of additional homes that might be going on the market, the seller's agent could work with my buyer's agent and make a deal.

But the seller's agent responded, "GVLNATIVE, I've reached out to the buyer's agent you mentioned. Further communication needs to be through the buyer's agent. You should direct any questions to the buyer's agent."

That was kind of scolding, wasn't it? Do I need to apologize or explain myself to anyone? I had already told the seller's agent beforehand that I had a buyer's agent so the seller's agent shouldn't have forgotten!

Thanks.

You solicited service from the agent, perhaps? That is not a wild consideration, especially when you say you may be in touch again.

The agent is being certain to defend their ethical standing, and not to intrude on the agency relationship.
Of course, if you have no buyers' agency agreement in writing, in some areas, you really have no buyers agent.
And, if you do have one in writing, it may require all communications to go through your agent.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:33 AM

654 posts, read 361,703 times
Thanks- good point.

I don't have a written agreement, but I would certainly expect to pay a commission to the buyer's agent that I'm working with for any purchase.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:34 PM

10,940 posts, read 21,916,982 times
Eff em. Move on and don't worry about it. Probably wasn't even worth the time to type your post or my reply, but now you know at least. Happy house hunting and good luck!

Old 01-06-2020, 01:28 PM

14,416 posts, read 11,954,182 times
It was a bit scolding wasn't it?

Good news is, maybe she won't put you on her mailing list.

All's well that ends well.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:32 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times
if you want to see it/you perceived it as scolding, then it's scolding. If either of them had responded before/at the open house in this same manner, then it would be scolding the 2nd time "Hey, GVL - we TOLD you ALREADY to run everything through your buyer's agent!"

If they didn't say anything like that before, then me - I say as an agent "Thank you for pointing out to the naive and trusting consumer, who has no reason to know what they're supposed to do, without some guidance from us agents who do this everyday."

Old 01-06-2020, 07:57 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,313,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post

I don't think it is scolding, but I read it in a neutral way. I think the listing agent was trying to have it not be scolding which is why they added the smiley face to indicate that they were saying it in a nice way.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:46 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,826,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I don't think it is scolding, but I read it in a neutral way. I think the listing agent was trying to have it not be scolding which is why they added the smiley face to indicate that they were saying it in a nice way.

I didn't see any hint of scolding. I saw a fairly proper statement with no hint of solicitation for further direct contact.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:00 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,172,138 times
I might have used a different tone but I would have responded with essentially the same message, "Respectfully, if you have a buyer's agent, it's more appropriate for you to use them. I don't want to risk the appearance of impropriety by continuing to have contact with you about your search for a house."

Old 01-08-2020, 05:46 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,186,965 times
I contact listing agents all the time, I tell them up front I have a different realtor. The back and forth of questions otherwise just becomes......so maddening. So many things end up missing in the listing. Like if they don't list it has a holding tank vs septic I'm not going to notice and ask which is it. I see no point in wasting my realtors time with some of the other unusual questions I often have. Going to see it with my realtor isn't going to answer them. I need the owners to give answers usually.
Most recently looking for lake property. Are there loons? Can you hear the loons routinely or are they usually at the other end of the lake? is there other wildlife? (geez not deer, deer are everywhere). Are there VRBO, Air BnB rentals nearby? How much jet ski traffic?
I don't want just yes and no answers. Its a 4 hour drive to see a property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals