Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 08:44 PM

8,524 posts, read 13,898,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We have 32 blocks of essentially identical lots. All zoned for duplexes.
All you need are the 4 most recent sales.
None of the properties in my area are remotely identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
who knows better the market value of a property? 97% of consumers or the developers?
Most of the people who are selling tear down properties around here are elderly and not very tech savvy as well. So, they're not in touch with the market like a lot of the other buyers/sellers today. The developers swoop in and take advantage of them. Some of the agents around here are happy to cooperate in it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
My wife's sister and her husband bought a home in Silicon Valley for $17,000 in 1961. After their deaths (a few weeks ago she died), her children sold the home as a tear down for a tear down for $2,300,000. It is now gone and construction is starting on the new home.

They had estimates of value the home was estimated at $1,400,000 but friends and neighbors started to make offers without Realtors involved, and bid it up to $2,300,000 in a matter of days. They enjoyed the $300,000 each more than was expected.
That's some amazing appreciation. Imagine what those kids could have netted off of such a hot property if they had listed it publicly. I'm a firm believer that there's always one person out there who's willing to pay more for a property than everyone else (I've just seen it happen SO many times). There's no way to guarantee that you've reached that one buyer unless you market the property publicly and do so effectively. The additional amount this one person is often willing to pay above and beyond what others will offer often exceeds the fee of the agent in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 11:52 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,675,218 times
The local Realtors, were convinced the property would not sell for over $1,400,000. The likely buyers for that property, were relatives and friends of neighbors.

If Realtors handled the sale, I doubt they could have done as well as the kids did.

The Racial makeup of that area, is Asian: 66.48%, White: 28.28% and just a few of any other race. There was just 2 white house holds on their 2 block long street. For the last few years None have been sold by Realtors. It has been to Relatives and friends of current residents, who keep tract of deaths, and other elderly who may want to move. The buyers in their tract, are not going to Realtors, but have selected where the want to live and wait for a house to be available and pay what it takes to get it, If Realtors handled the sale, I doubt they could have done as well as the kids did. In addition they saved $161,000 in commission and selling costs.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:54 PM

658 posts, read 820,341 times
Default rezone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Only one house per lot permitted.
Is rezoning to denser use common, or newer larger homes in the area worth substantially more than $300k?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals