Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 01:41 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times

Advertisements

Totally agree...better to have people pleasantly surprised than frustrated and disappointed when they first pull up or walk through the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 01:42 PM

8,494 posts, read 4,738,627 times
The fisheye photos are easy to spot. I already know then and there that the rooms are probably fairly small. It might be dishonest, but it’s also not that hard to just see through it.

Old 01-29-2020, 02:16 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
I think photographers should be careful with use of wide angle lenses... but I do think they tend to solve the problem of how to show bedrooms without taking the commonly seen "here's a picture of a corner". People complain about those too, but the goal is often to show that there's a bedroom, what color it is painted and that there's a window, a closet, and a floor. If you can get all that in one picture, marvelous. If you can see more than three walls at one time, you may be pushing it.

Old 01-29-2020, 02:50 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think photographers should be careful with use of wide angle lenses... but I do think they tend to solve the problem of how to show bedrooms without taking the commonly seen "here's a picture of a corner". People complain about those too, but the goal is often to show that there's a bedroom, what color it is painted and that there's a window, a closet, and a floor. If you can get all that in one picture, marvelous. If you can see more than three walls at one time, you may be pushing it.
Yes, seeing four walls in one photo is a dead giveaway.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:43 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Bruh what Realtor stole your lollypop as a kid?

Lots of broad-brush statements on here.

I'm often jaded with regards to the level of professionalism or lack thereof of many agents I encounter in person and online myself....but your generalizations and assertions on here are WAY over the top.

Anyway....

Fisheye lenses are obnoxious. Incredibly rare to see them in listings in my MLS. Though crappy, dark, blurry, un-level cell-phone shots have far too much of a presence IMO.

Here; square footage is measured from the outside; wall to wall, for SFH, and paint to paint inside for a condo. Agreed that closet spaces shouldn't be included in room dimensions but they absolutely are a part of heated square footage/living space in a home.

I wish our local MLS would require room dimensions AND level but alas; they do not. If you do enter a room's dimensions you must enter on which level of the home said room is located; but if both fields are left blank; it can still be published. Dumb

Clerical errors happen. They can and should be avoided and even when they aren't they can and should be quickly and easily corrected. I really wish
I’m noticing more and more homes where the agent (I assume) has paid one of the local measuring services to come in and do a plan with all the dimensions on them. They’ll be out on the counter when I’m inspecting. I also get emails from some of them as well. I thought maybe it was a requirement now or something.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:51 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I’m noticing more and more homes where the agent (I assume) has paid one of the local measuring services to come in and do a plan with all the dimensions on them. They’ll be out on the counter when I’m inspecting. I also get emails from some of them as well. I thought maybe it was a requirement now or something.

Exactly the opposite, Sheriff.
A great many agents are evading the requirement here to be able to measure, and to show the ability to measure. That is a core skill required of a North Carolina licensee.
The floor plans are a good service, but when I get them, I also measure the house to confirm SF.
If an agent posts inaccurate SF and gets called on the carpet by the Commission, they may be further audited if they cannot demonstrate that they ever measure their listings.

And, buyers agents can be responsible, too, for egregious SF errors if they fail to note them.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:20 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
A great many agents are evading the requirement here to be able to measure, and to show the ability to measure. That is a core skill required of a North Carolina licensee.
The floor plans are a good service, but when I get them, I also measure the house to confirm SF.
If an agent posts inaccurate SF and gets called on the carpet by the Commission, they may be further audited if they cannot demonstrate that they ever measure their listings.

And, buyers agents can be responsible, too, for egregious SF errors if they fail to note them.
I usually don't use a tape measure. The last property I closed on had 3,441,240 square feet.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:19 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Probably the second most common mistake noted on the wall-of-shame section of the e-bulletin. Not that I read look forward to the bulletin emails just to read that section....

The first being property managers who can't handle trust accounts to save their lives.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:57 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
we let plenty of brokers get away with using tax page square footage. Puh-lenty. There's a few ranches, and most condos, that I "pull the tape" on. For the rest, I'm happy to hire a licensed appraiser to measure and to provide a layout.

I "suppose" if I ever got an egregious measurement back that I'd be responsible still.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
we let plenty of brokers get away with using tax page square footage. Puh-lenty. There's a few ranches, and most condos, that I "pull the tape" on. For the rest, I'm happy to hire a licensed appraiser to measure and to provide a layout.

I "suppose" if I ever got an egregious measurement back that I'd be responsible still.
Varies with the local laws. We are required to use the Clark County Assessors number which is in a field that auto fills and which cannot be modified. You note any discrepancy in the remarks.

I have seen two major discrepancies over the years. In one the Assessor's Appraiser simply reported the wrong model. Been charging the owner too much over 10 years. They swiftly fixed it but would refund only a year. The other was recent. A home was reported to have a casita which it did not have. Same kind of problem. The majority of that model in that tract had a casita so the appraiser picked it up without looking.

So basically it works fine with a rare discrepancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals