Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 09:49 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,026,013 times

Advertisements

We just moved 1,000 miles away and found the house we bought while visiting the area for a week by car. We hadn't planned on finding/buying on that trip but the right house came up on MLS so we pursued it, staying longer than planned to do inspections.

We considered renting for a year and looked at many rentals while visiting. There were many nice, newish rentals available (Charlotte NC) but my husband did not like them much which maybe set his mind toward buying. I think we got lucky if lucky means no negotiating on list price in a hot market. Agents here seem to set prices to sell fast knowing they can sell more that way.

So we saved money by not renting, not packing and moving twice (once was hell enough). I'm beyond glad the house we liked came up while we were here. We had just a little family guidance with our purchase. 2 family groups weren't familiar with where we bought but warned us away from 2 other areas we were looking at on MLS due to future road construction. 2 other areas we drove to and nixed due to our feelings about infrastructure, something you can't get a feeling for via MLS long-distance.

We found our buyers agent by using dual agency of listing agent. We ended up not being 100% happy with dual in this case (have used it several past times) but not sure we would have done better with a different unknown-to-us non-dual agent. I think almost every agent has a bias to make the sale vs. digging deep into best-for-buyer terms. I talked with other agents but in the end getting the sale done was efficient if not 100% perfect for us the buyer.

I'd do what we did again. Love our home and location. Before even looking at this house the first time I thoroughly researched online the location of grocery stores we like, ER and hospital ratings and distance from this location, primary doctor location. My only regret is that Earth Fare organic grocery just closed stores nationwide including 2 we are 5 miles between. Can't control everything 4 other grocery stores nearby.

edit to add: WE found the house we wanted by MLS, Redfin and other searches. The agent was a necessary appendage to get the deal done. No agent has the time to know exactly what we as buyers want/don't want. If they have that time they are not busy enough to be successful. Find a good strong agent in business for several years and won some sales awards and you like their personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 11:17 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Don't get in a situation where you are obligated to purchase with the rental agent being your buyers' agent.
You can introduce purchase into the equation, but not with a commitment to use the agent unless you have a unilateral right to terminate the agreement.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:00 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
This doesn’t pass the smell test for me. My brother in law is an agent in MA. We were selling in OH and moving to GA. I made the mistake of asking his opinion about which agent we should hire, and with no effort on his part other than a few clicks on a computer, he thought he should be getting some of our eventual agents money. No.
They get a referral fee I think. Most realtors are all about themselves though so be careful.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:52 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,010,364 times
Quote:
This doesn’t pass the smell test for me. My brother in law is an agent in MA. We were selling in OH and moving to GA. I made the mistake of asking his opinion about which agent we should hire, and with no effort on his part other than a few clicks on a computer, he thought he should be getting some of our eventual agents money. No.
Where does your brother-in-law work (i.e. what area of MA?)? I'm wondering if I know him.

It's unfortunate that your brother-in-law chose to put no effort into your referral. I treat all of my clients the same whether they are friends, family, or complete strangers when we first meet. If I know someone who needs help with real estate in an area I don't service, I'm always happy to arrange a referral and I spend hours researching agents in that area and interviewing them to make sure that it's a good fit for the client and their needs.

Quote:
Am I incorrect in assuming that a referring agent’s pay would decrease the amount my agent, who did all the work and carried the expenses, gets? It’s not as if anyone, buyer or seller, is going to kick in additional commission.
It does reduce the agent's commission who receives the referral and no one is expected to make up that difference. The benefit the receiving agent gets in exchange for paying that fee is that they have a client which they haven't had to spend marketing dollars or resources to obtain.

Quote:
My beef is, someone who does nothing should not be taking money away from those who work for it.
I agree! Whether it's connecting you with an agent via referral or working with you directly to buy/sell if you feel your agent isn't doing anything then likely you should find yourself another agent to work with.

This being said, as I mentioned above when an agent sends out a referral they absolutely should be doing work to earn a referral fee. As I said, I spend a lot of time researching and interviewing agents to make sure you're connected with the right one and I feel the small portion of the commission that's paid to me in exchange for that service is very fair compensation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Don't get in a situation where you are obligated to purchase with the rental agent being your buyers' agent.
You can introduce purchase into the equation, but not with a commitment to use the agent unless you have a unilateral right to terminate the agreement.
Couldn't agree more. In my market, a lot of agents specialize in either rentals or buying/selling. The rental market is a very different beast around here and I often refer out clients who want rentals because I cannot service them effectively because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
They get a referral fee I think. Most realtors are all about themselves though so be careful.
That's an awfully broad brush you're painting with. If you feel your agent is only out for themselves, then you've hired the wrong agent. Ultimately, the decision about who to work with is yours so I would recommend sharpening your interview skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals