Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 12:54 AM

4 posts, read 6,015 times

Advertisements

You can actually get some money back by using an agent. I recently purchased a pre construction home from Pulte. Did all the searching on my own and made sure to tell every sales agent I came in contact with that I was using an agent during each visit. Then just before we proceeded with the purchase agreement I asked the builder if they would allow me to take a 50% split of the buyers agent commission in the form of a credit at closing. Pulte agreed, however just needed the real estate agents details for the contract and confirmation from the agent. I then started calling all the real estate agents on google and asked if they would agree to split the commission 50/50 with me if I let them into the deal now. A few did not know what I was talking about, and one from Allen Tate wanted to do a 75/25 split with me (no way!) Eventually I found one agent who knew exactly what I was talking about. He agreed to it straight away, made me sign an exclusive agreement with him that actually had the terms listed on his agreement that he will share 50% of the commission with me. Then Pulte added in a clause into the Purchase agreement that the buyers agent commission was being split 50/50 with me in the form of a credit at closing. It was win win because I get a couple of thousand dollarreduction to closing costs in the form of a credit, and the agent gets a couple of thousand for doing nothing other than answering his phone that day I was calling all the agents. I remember the excitement in his voice when he asked what the purchase price of the house was. I heard the Kaching go off in his head - hahaha. I will put him to work once we hit the pre-drywall stages though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 07:47 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
Hiring a Realtor would be helpful. But even more important is to get an inspection. In our area, about 30% of new construction homes have major defects that come up on inspection.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:34 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,757,759 times
Definitely have an agent. When the crap hits the fan, they can put more pressure on them than you can as they might bring more buyers in the future and you’re not likely to buy a whole lot of houses. Plus, this is their job. They do it every day and know how to deal with the builder.

Also, for sure get an inspection. Here’s two shots from the roof of a house I did yesterday. One where they left off a ton of ridge shingles and another where they used nails through the roof covering to secure the scaffold they used for the siding. Usually they will at least put roof cement on them but they forgot this time so there’s are about a dozen hooks in the roof that will not start showing any signs for a couple years usually.
Attached Thumbnails
Should we use a realtor when buying new construction?-4bc2df84-6b2a-449c-819c-8702acd6cc0c.jpeg   Should we use a realtor when buying new construction?-65e74caa-a13e-4ab1-a3f6-c31e349fa628.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals