Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 06:26 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
They were probably afraid to tell you what they really meant by "a bad area" since we all have to parse our words these days. Easy access to the interstate would be "a convenient area."

As for demographic info being easily found online, I've seen it for cities and towns, but not for particular neighborhoods. Can you share some links?
zip codes, and possibly census tracts. and yes, oftentimes schools provide testing info that yield demographics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 06:50 PM

271 posts, read 293,697 times
Quote:
While living in another state? It's mindboggling to me that people are expected to just buy "blind." Not only is it a huge investment, it's one you are likely going to be stuck living with for years to come. It's not as if you can return it the next day for a refund if not satisfied. Surely this information is available somewhere and somehow.

I, too, am primarily concerned about crime, however petty. ls the term "bad neighborhood" clear enough re: realtors? I've known some who didn't think -- or wouldn't say -- the WORST neighborhood was "a bad neighborhood."
To frame challenge this: Why do you feel compelled to make such a large investment sight unseen? What exactly is preventing you from visiting in person? If you're not sure about the area, rent first, then buy once you have some knowledge of the neighborhood.

Old 09-06-2020, 08:56 AM

169 posts, read 182,192 times
how about joining a facebook group for the town or neighborhood you are looking to buy in and ask your questions there of the locals that live there?

Old 09-06-2020, 05:05 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,788,551 times
Niche.com has pretty detailed data on demographics - ethnicity, level of education, percentage of households with kids, median household and individual income, income level breakdown etc.

It probably won't tell you the demographics of your street though but better than nothing. Data that detailed can only be obtained by driving down that street and observing.

As a single person, I don't want to live in a neighborhood full of families with kids for various reasons. I pre-screen on Niche.con first, take a drive of the area, paying close attention to the contents of the various commercial districts and strip malls (you can also do this with a google maps search). Then for each house my realtor tells me I give them a detailed list of what I do and don't like about it, and the location it's in. My likes and dislikes tend to align with my preference to be around other single/DINK/empty nester type people. If they're paying attention, they'll know my preferences.

Old 09-06-2020, 05:43 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Niche.com has pretty detailed data on demographics - ethnicity, level of education, percentage of households with kids, median household and individual income, income level breakdown etc.

It probably won't tell you the demographics of your street though but better than nothing. Data that detailed can only be obtained by driving down that street and observing.

As a single person, I don't want to live in a neighborhood full of families with kids for various reasons. I pre-screen on Niche.con first, take a drive of the area, paying close attention to the contents of the various commercial districts and strip malls (you can also do this with a google maps search). Then for each house my realtor tells me I give them a detailed list of what I do and don't like about it, and the location it's in. My likes and dislikes tend to align with my preference to be around other single/DINK/empty nester type people. If they're paying attention, they'll know my preferences.
But can they then (if they're paying attention and want to meet your needs) show you some properties and neglect to show you other properties based on "protected classes" including having children, or is THAT also against the law? It seems you're almost not allowed to have such preferences or, if you do, you're on your own, yet I think anyone - if being honest - would admit that they do.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:46 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
But can they then (if they're paying attention and want to meet your needs) show you some properties and neglect to show you other properties based on "protected classes" including having children, or is THAT also against the law? It seems you're almost not allowed to have such preferences or, if you do, you're on your own, yet I think anyone - if being honest - would admit that they do.

I don't understand your question. Are you asking if they will show you houses that only have "no children" neighbors (for example)? Neighbors change daily, so how would they know?

Old 09-06-2020, 09:45 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,788,551 times
Quote:
The realtors I've spoken to have said they're allowed to filter based on hard, objective criteria. "I want to be in a 9-rated school district", "I want to be in walking distance to shops, entertainment, dining, whatever", "I don't want to do yard work"(translation: I want a home with a very small yard or no yard at all), "I want a greenbelt view" are okay for example. Families with children gravitate towards locations with amenities that cater to children (schools, playgrounds and so forth). They're generally going to want larger houses with enough bedrooms to accommodate their kids and a yard. I tell the realtor I'm a busy professional who lives alone and likes to travel a lot, and I want a low maintenance home between X and Y square feet etc. They send listings my way that match those lifestyle elements.

As a buyer, you're allowed to have, express, and act on whatever preference you want, including ones that involve "protected" classes. The prohibition against "steering" is on the realtor. They're not allowed to steer you towards anything in particular based on preferences that involve "protected" classes. They can point you to a condo that is in walking distance to shops and entertainment (which attract a specific segment of the population) and a townhome with no yard work and XYZ amenities for example but they can't pull up census data for that area and tell you zip code X has a lower percentage of households with kids.

At least that's my understanding. I'm not a realtor though.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:28 PM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Look up Remine. Gives demographics.
Or just google "demographics for "zipcode". I just tried it on my zipcode, and the results came up.
And while agents can't steer you, there is nothing preventing you from saying " I would like a family oriented, quiet neighborhood, where people keep up their yards, and they have good schools and good resale values." They won't be showing you homes on bad areas.
Or " I want a home with good resale values in a younger neighborhood with young families/younger couples" or saying " I'd like a more mature neighborhood with well kept homes, with a lot of retirees, not a bunch of kids, not loud parties".

Old 09-07-2020, 12:30 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
With the Pandemic problem now going on, there are going to be a lot of homes being sold to beat foreclosure, job changes and transfers, so what the demographics are today for a neighborhood, may be completely different two years or less from now. Number of kids, and loud party people can move in a currently quiet neighborhood.

It will be years, before things are stable again, and demographics meaning anything.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:55 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I don't understand your question. Are you asking if they will show you houses that only have "no children" neighbors (for example)? Neighbors change daily, so how would they know?
I mean if they failed to show or at least suggest to a particular client properties for sale, say for example, next door to a family with a lot of children because the buyer has indicated they would hate that, would they be discriminating against that protected group?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals