Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 11:15 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,484,641 times

Advertisements

Having taken note of what the realtors here have pointed out, it should be very easy for anyone capable of writing well to submit a letter (no pictures) which references particular parts of a property they love without it becoming a "Fair Housing" nightmare for anyone.

If I love the plantings in someone's yard—a beautiful tree, perhaps—I do not see how it is going to get anyone into trouble for my mentioning how much I like and appreciate the tree. And I do think it might sway some sellers to know that the tree they cared for for so many years will be looked after in years to come. (I "won" a beautiful rental years ago with the submission of an honest, flattering letter, so I know they can work.)

I will be sure to send my "love letter" directly to the seller by carrier pigeon, bypassing the trembling fingers of any agents involved. /sarcasm

(And I agree that sellers, buyers, and other interested parties do check each other out online, as Mike said.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 07:30 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,384,047 times
Sorry, but writing a letter to a seller begging them to let me buy their house would risk violating laws of my self-respect.

Someone slap me if I ever suggest doing this.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:19 AM

8,725 posts, read 7,435,334 times
Accepting an offer based on anything other than the price, terms and merits of the offer might violate fair housing law.

Lol, not at all.

Where do people even get this from?

Old 10-12-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Sorry, but writing a letter to a seller begging them to let me buy their house would risk violating laws of my self-respect.

Someone slap me if I ever suggest doing this.
Is this a new thing and/or a regional thing? I never even heard of this letter stuff except for articles and things posted on this forum.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:47 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,384,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Is this a new thing and/or a regional thing? I never even heard of this letter stuff except for articles and things posted on this forum.
It's a typical tippy-top-of-bubble behavior. Like RE agents who won't return your calls or do any research.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:02 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,393,983 times
I sold my parents’ house in the Bay area in 2014 and the buyers had an (obviously) Asian surname. They wrote a letter explaining they had grown up in the Bay area and wanted this house due to the good schools in Moraga and their interest in moving from the city to a family house where their children could grow up. I felt it was kind of sad they felt the need to make sure I knew they were not foreign investors. They were the highest bidders and we closed the deal. I really didn’t want to know their personal details, but also think my parents would be pleased that a family with kids lives there.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:21 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,625,599 times
No matter how much I love a house once I am selling it’s strictly a business transaction. A letter wouldn’t carry any weight with me.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I sold my parents’ house in the Bay area in 2014 and the buyers had an (obviously) Asian surname. They wrote a letter explaining they had grown up in the Bay area and wanted this house due to the good schools in Moraga and their interest in moving from the city to a family house where their children could grow up. I felt it was kind of sad they felt the need to make sure I knew they were not foreign investors. They were the highest bidders and we closed the deal. I really didn’t want to know their personal details, but also think my parents would be pleased that a family with kids lives there.
How do you know they wrote the letter to let you know they are not a foreign buyer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
No matter how much I love a house once I am selling it’s strictly a business transaction. A letter wouldn’t carry any weight with me.
Yea, I do not quite get this whole letter thing, what, I am going to take your offer over a better one because of some unverified or even if verified story? That does not really put money in my pocket, I think everyone in the world has a story they can tell also.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:39 AM

14,570 posts, read 12,238,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Yea, I do not quite get this whole letter thing, what, I am going to take your offer over a better one because of some unverified or even if verified story? That does not really put money in my pocket, I think everyone in the world has a story they can tell also.
Letters only help sometimes, when there is an emotional aspect to the sale. They can help in competitive markets where there are many offers that are probably at about the max amount the property may appraise for... there is a limit in how high smart buyers will go.

Also may help with overpriced and stagnant listings, where a buyer wants give the seller reason to consider a low offer, because of some particular situation or story.

I do agree everyone has a story. I think it is sometimes our job to tell that story, without violating fair housing laws.

Old 10-12-2020, 02:30 PM

15,598 posts, read 40,516,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Letters only help sometimes, when there is an emotional aspect to the sale. They can help in competitive markets where there are many offers that are probably at about the max amount the property may appraise for... there is a limit in how high smart buyers will go.

Also may help with overpriced and stagnant listings, where a buyer wants give the seller reason to consider a low offer, because of some particular situation or story.

I do agree everyone has a story. I think it is sometimes our job to tell that story, without violating fair housing laws.
I think it is much ado about nothing. So few sellers are swayed by the letters. The things that do sway them, in my experience, just aren't fair housing issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals