Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 01:34 PM

899 posts, read 540,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I'm a seller, who's gone through home selling process 3x and received my first ever buyer love letter during the selling process of home #3 recently. I was frankly baffled by it because I didn't see the benefit of it one way or another.

I look at home selling purely from business point of view, or to be blunt: how much money I can make off the transaction and which offer is the most likely to go through smoothly. If you make a strong offer with little to no contingencies, have your funding approved and ready, I would likely accept your offer, regardless of your family background, your skin color, or how many children you have. I couldn't care less how the future owners will treat the house since that's not going to be mine by then.
Yes. I want to see the money on the table and the highest reliable offer gets it. I don't care about letters. I imagine this is how most sellers view the transaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 04:43 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
I wrote a letter to the seller of the overpriced house I wanted. I was trying to shake them off the overpriced fence. Didn't work, although ultimately it sold much closer to my price than theirs. They got lucky when all the people started freaking out and buying up all the houses in suburbs because they were afraid to live in the city.

While I don't think a letter is a big deal, I CAN see the issue with pocket listings. There was an article in the Trib recently about them in relation to the Fair Housing Act. I have never been a big fan of them but agents push them hard.

Old 10-15-2020, 12:21 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Accepting an offer based on anything other than the price, terms and merits of the offer might violate fair housing law.

Lol, not at all.

Where do people even get this from?
If you accept an offer because the family was white as opposed to a single black man... How do you not see that as a violation of fair housing?

Old 10-16-2020, 05:28 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
If you accept an offer because the family was white as opposed to a single black man... How do you not see that as a violation of fair housing?
The Fair Housing Act covers most housing. In very limited circumstances, the Act exempts owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family houses sold or rented by the owner without the use of an agent, and housing operated by religious organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.

That's what I thought. Confirmed with google. https://www.google.com/search?q=who+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 10-19-2020, 04:55 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
The Fair Housing Act covers most housing. In very limited circumstances, the Act exempts owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family houses sold or rented by the owner without the use of an agent, and housing operated by religious organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.

That's what I thought. Confirmed with google. https://www.google.com/search?q=who+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
I'm staying out of that one. Good luck. I'll continue to treat everyone equally and if folks want to write love letters, it's going to be an issue that makes it into litigation soon. Currently it's being discussed at the Realtor level and I feel once the lawyers get hold of it, will be in the courts soon enough.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:36 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
I'm staying out of that one. Good luck. I'll continue to treat everyone equally and if folks want to write love letters, it's going to be an issue that makes it into litigation soon. Currently it's being discussed at the Realtor level and I feel once the lawyers get hold of it, will be in the courts soon enough.
I'm not saying it's right, I'm just pointing out that fair housing laws mostly apply to licensed individuals.

Old 10-22-2020, 05:44 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
I would not see a buyer's letter doing any harm as long as it addresses the transaction. "My current living arrangements provide complete flexibility when it comes to a closing date." "The home inspection will be looking for large ticket items, not intended to be turned into a punch list for unrealistic perfection." I could go on and on with transactional comments, but I think the two examples provide the tone I am trying to portray. For me, as a seller, that means so much more.

I do admit, I think my letter that accompanied my offer was instrumental in winning the contract on my current home. Thinking back, I did state I was a single mom of a college student, but I mostly put in my letter tidbits about my qualifications, including my credit scores and flexibility. My loan officer knew the listing agent and made a call that her buyer was qualified and had a DU approval. (Something I do today when I know the listing agent). Out of 6 offers, I got the house.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:51 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
These "love letters" have always made me a little nervous. They often include a photo of the family and IMO it opens the door for people who don't win a multiple offer situation to sue and accuse the seller of not selling to them because they are a member of a protected class.

Typically, I have a conversation with my clients up front about whether or not they want to see these letters. If they say "no" then I make that clear to folks up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I'm not saying it's right, I'm just pointing out that fair housing laws mostly apply to licensed individuals.
These exemptions only apply to rentals, it has to be a multi-unit dwelling that's owner occupied, and the property cannot be represented by an agent. There might be more conditions (I try to stay far away from rentals so I'm not quite up to snuff on the rules) but the point is that there are limited exceptions the fair housing laws as you said. Not sure why they exist. They do nonetheless.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:23 AM

586 posts, read 554,726 times
Quote:
There is a lot of discussion going on in our market about whether or not writing a Buyer Love Letter to a seller is a violation of Fair Housing.

The argument being that, if you pass yourselves off as Ward and June Cleaver, and you're competing with a single, un-wed mother, that it violates Fair Housing for the single mother.

In my opinion, there's some merits to this, as the letter is designed to elicit favoritism in your offer by selling yourselves as buyers. You're trying to sell your dream to a seller, and in a way it can possibly steer the seller's decision making process into an unfair territory.

Here's a good article on the discussion: https://www.inman.com/2018/05/31/do-...-fair-housing/
I don't really see how this could ever be effectively enforced. I cannot stop a buyer from dropping off a note or knocking on the seller's door to introduce themselves.

Also, there are often multiple offers in transactions—a seller determines whether or not to allow an agent to reveal this information to other agents. Other agents do not have to reveal anything whatsoever about their client or clients.

I have told buyer-clients that a house is likely to be under multiples, and if they would like to write a letter about their situation, it might be a good idea. I've also told clients that a personal letter would likely not help their situation (eg. a flipper/LLC/estate is the seller). Usually the main focus of the letter is an appreciation of the decor/improvements, or that they are moving to town, or that they are first-time homebuyers. I don't think I've ever seen a letter that has pushed a family situation in a seller's face—and if I did, I would encourage the buyer's to rewrite the letter. I believe they do actually work, but I always tell buyers to back up their letter with a strong offer or clean terms.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:52 PM

29 posts, read 24,007 times
It's an interesting question. I had not thought of Fair Housing issues. We wrote a letter recently as a way to appeal to the seller in a difficult & competitive sellers market. Home was owned by an elderly individual that recently passed away after living in it for decades. With the influx of investors & flippers, we wanted the family to be reassured in knowing that the home would be lived in and cared for. And how much we appreciated the little details in the home that someone built over time with their own hands.

The letter was at the suggestion of our realtor, and we are under contract now. I guess it really depends on the situation. Someone who is looking for every last dollar in a transaction probably could care less about a letter. That's where it's good to have a realtor who knows their stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals