U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2021, 07:35 PM

8 posts, read 4,469 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've recently got my realtor license and I am learning how to approach new potential buyers but I feel that the closing part needs to be improved.

Can you please share your experience in how you close a deal with a potential buyer?

Thank you and kind regards,
Jonathan
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2021, 07:55 PM

10,081 posts, read 6,881,560 times
What are you trying to get them to commit to? Working with you? Don't get too ahead of yourself. Especially now at first, try to learn what they're looking for, learn how to search for a few prospects, and get out and show them some properties. Listen to them. You're not there to sell them a property, you're there to help them find a property. Don't try to get a commitment out of them in some sales pitch, travel some miles with them, get to know them, learn your territory, build a relationship, earn their trust, be on their side.

That's me anyway.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:17 AM

7,949 posts, read 10,308,290 times
You're looking at it in the wrong way. Unless you're working for the Seller, you shouldn't be trying to persuade a Buyer to purchase a property. That type of behavior is what gives agents a bad name. Your job is to make sure that your client knows what they are doing in evaluating a property--and pointing out potential concerns about the property, everything from condition issues to potential property tax implications. The decision to purchase is always theirs to make, but you should dissuade them from making a purchase when warranted.

You're new, but you'll learn that there is no Realtor license.

Old 03-06-2021, 06:28 AM

108 posts, read 63,327 times
I’m a buyer myself. Just gotta say, sometimes buyers can drag their feet. The issue is that they are not feeling comfortable, whether if it’s the price, or the house itself. In either case, at least for me, I really appreciate it when my realtor doesn’t give me a hard time for being hesitant. It makes me trust her more. And that trust is what you want from the buyer. It’ll not only help you help them close a deal, it’ll also make them a return customer. Another thing you can help with is to talk to the listing agent or do some research and see if you can get more information on the listing that might help the buyer frame up the offers.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:24 AM

39,039 posts, read 67,618,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansp View Post
Hi,

I've recently got my realtor license and I am learning how to approach new potential buyers but I feel that the closing part needs to be improved.

Can you please share your experience in how you close a deal with a potential buyer?

Jonathan
Are you talking about selling yourself to a buyer, for them to engage you as a buyers agent and a fiduciary?
I hope so, because when you close that deal, you move forward as a consultant and guide, not as a sales person.

If you are talking about closing a buyer client on purchase of a property, I am with the others:
We sell to customers. We push product at them.
We consult with clients. Their goals are our goals.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:52 PM

14,987 posts, read 36,876,426 times
Quote:
Hi,

Jonathan
I "close" a potential buyer into working with me by knowing my stuff. So if you aren't impressing clients enough to have them choose you as an agent, then you aren't demonstrating that you offer value other than opening doors.

So how many homes do you tour each day to learn the local inventory. Do you know where the flood plains are in your city? Historic Districts? If someone asked what was being built at a construction site could you tell them? What do you know about the finish level being offered by different builders in your area?

If you want to "close" buyers you need to actually know things.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:53 PM

881 posts, read 543,297 times
If I want to get someone off the fence, who is getting annoying, I raise the price, and if they pull out their checkbook they will get the old price.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:23 AM

10,711 posts, read 6,049,495 times
Quote:
Hi,

Jonathan
I don't think there is a state in the Union that grants "realtor" licenses.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:00 AM

10,081 posts, read 6,881,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I don't think there is a state in the Union that grants "realtor" licenses.
You’re not wrong! This terminology is not some thing a lot of people understand... and some of the terms are interchangeable. But our new Professional here does need to understand these distinctions! :-)

Old 03-07-2021, 09:42 AM

8 posts, read 4,469 times
Thanks for the useful feedback and ideas! This is good learning.
I will keep you posted on how it goes in the next days :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals