Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2022, 04:53 PM

7,224 posts, read 11,955,244 times

Advertisements

There is a strong possibility that my township will be selling off a parcel of land to a cannabis grower. This property is less than 600 feet from my home. Cannabis farming is brand hew in my state. I'm not even sure if any farms are up and running here yet. I have read some articles online about residents in other areas having to deal with horrendous odors caused by this type of farming. Have any realtors experienced declining property values due to this? I'm wondering if this might be a good time to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 05:01 PM

14,559 posts, read 12,214,066 times
On balance with other farming odors it's not the worst, but it will smell at times like a skunk is in the area.

Is your property in a mostly rural or commercial area? Around here, where most growers are INDOORS, it's not so much the crop, as the huge buildings and tall fencing, razor wire and cameras that surround the facilities for security purposes, that does not fit in well with a nice rural or suburban aesthetic. After a few years now experimenting with where to zone for them, I think our county is figuring out that these operations are better suited for commercial/industrial areas than agricultural or residential ones.

It really will depend on how your local rules develop.

Old 06-15-2022, 05:02 PM

15,597 posts, read 40,505,153 times
Cannabis is legal here and yes the farms smell. I don't think you would smell it 600 feet away at your actual house but you would smell it when you walk by or drive by the property or if the wind was blowing your way.

Old 06-15-2022, 05:15 PM

7,224 posts, read 11,955,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
On balance with other farming odors it's not the worst, but it will smell at times like a skunk is in the area.

Is your property in a mostly rural or commercial area? Around here, where most growers are INDOORS, it's not so much the crop, as the huge buildings and tall fencing, razor wire and cameras that surround the facilities for security purposes, that does not fit in well with a nice rural or suburban aesthetic. After a few years now experimenting with where to zone for them, I think our county is figuring out that these operations are better suited for commercial/industrial areas than agricultural or residential ones.

It really will depend on how your local rules develop.
I'm in a very rural area. It is comprised of single family homes and farms. The property in question is zoned R120. According to my township it is allowed to be used for single family homes and/or farming. The closest commercial/industrial area around here is miles away.

Old 06-15-2022, 05:25 PM

14,559 posts, read 12,214,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I'm in a very rural area. It is comprised of single family homes and farms. The property in question is zoned R120. According to my township it is allowed to be used for single family homes and/or farming. The closest commercial/industrial area around here is miles away.
Well, I would find out what they are requiring for fencing and security.... because honestly, around here, that's the most objectionable feature. You have residential neighborhoods, small farms with a few horses and cows, and then all of the sudden, a solid fenced compound with razor wire and cameras that looks like a prison. It doesn't fit.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pot+grow+s...ages&ia=images

Old 06-18-2022, 05:05 PM

15,597 posts, read 40,505,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well, I would find out what they are requiring for fencing and security.... because honestly, around here, that's the most objectionable feature. You have residential neighborhoods, small farms with a few horses and cows, and then all of the sudden, a solid fenced compound with razor wire and cameras that looks like a prison. It doesn't fit.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pot+grow+s...ages&ia=images
Interesting. Here they almost exclusively grow pot in large greenhouses. Some of the larger ones have deer fencing up when they grow outside, but I haven't seen that here. I can smell the pot forms when I'm getting close. ;-)

Old 06-20-2022, 10:36 AM

32,685 posts, read 48,217,712 times
All I can tell you is how it affects me. I would not buy next to or near one.

It depends upon how many people feel like I do. If enough people don't want to buy near one, then the sales value of the adjacent land goes down, unless maybe the land next to it can also be purchased for a mj farm. Then some potential mj farmer might be willing to pay well for it. Although I don't think that there is any particular shortage of land that is zoned to grow it in states where it is legal to grow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals