Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times

Advertisements

VA appraiser had issues with the deck stairs...apparently the seller's contractor hasn't repaired them properly according to code. He came again to check the work and it still isn't correct. The buyer had requested repair on the decking and it is fine, just this issue with the stairs.

Supposed to have closed tomorrow. (end of month closing to avoid add'linterest)
There is talk of it being delayed into June.

Since this is something to be done by the seller, can the buyer request that the seller be responsible for paying the interest that will be incurred if the closing goes into June???

Or is it possible to say to wait until the end of June to close? Which will really push it , as the navy buyer's wife doesn't want to get stuck moving by herself
Basically wondering what recourse the buyer has in this, in order to get to closing with out it costing buyer even more money....

thanks!

ps this is in Washington, if that matters.
The realtor and mortgage people are turning out to pretty much be imbeciles.no offense to the goods ones out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 09:56 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
You may need to extend the contract. There's a point where if they are going to close is the next few days or week you've just got to be grateful you've got a good solid buyer and closing will happen soon.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:33 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
They should contact an attorney to find out what their alternatives are according to the contract they signed and the laws of the state.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:05 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I had a seller once who caused the delay of closing and she paid for the buyer's relock fee since they lost their lock, and in this case the house was vacant so she agreed to early possession since they had given notice and had no place to live.

Since you have moving/military issues, I would talk to the mortage broker and see if VA will agree to a hold back account. That way the buyer's can close and use that money to pay a contractor themselves and get it corrected. Off the top of my head, I don't think they allow them, but I haven't done a VA loan with issues for a couple of years. Mine have all been smooth.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:12 PM

Thanks Palmcoasting, I think they might be getting this straightened out today.

Thanks Silverfall.

Just talked to the buyers (my daughter & hubby) they were headed to the office to sign some papers. She gave them heck about all this lack of communication and issues, so something is happening. Didn't have time to talk, so unsure what this is about.

I did suggest the very thing you said. Of course I don't know either if that flies with VA.

My hubby is actually out there and had opportunity to see the stairs..he summed it up by saying the appraiser is an idiot.

They went by the house and said the contractor was there, so maybe the work is going to be done, and 'right' this go round........and maybe they will get closed before the end of the month! fingers crossed

Old 05-28-2008, 10:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
They should contact an attorney to find out what their alternatives are according to the contract they signed and the laws of the state.
IN the western US? Total waste of money. Only an RE Agent would even know what lawyer to talk to...

You guys have to remember that lawyers are used routinely only east of the Mississippi...

OUt here you ask one a none imbecile queston and it will cost you half a grand to get him up to snuff.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
It seems to me that all interest charges and taxes etc are prorated as of the date of closing, you shouldn't incur any additional closing expenses.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
My hubby is actually out there and had opportunity to see the stairs..he summed it up by saying the appraiser is an idiot.
Does your husband have knowledge of VA requirements?

Old 05-30-2008, 08:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
Does your husband have knowledge of VA requirements?

what has that got to do with it? Idiocy can be combined with any number of specialty skills.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:36 PM

Hooray! Somehow everyone involved got IT together and the deal was done today. They got the keys and are now the proud owners of their first home.....God bless them.

Schousse, actually my husband is a blind, blithering one legged retard, that was on a 3 day holiday out there from the local loonybin. And I personally think that in itself makes him well qualified to judge the character of said stairs. Don't you????

Olecapt......well said....the hills are alive with various skilled idiots.

Thanks to all! Enjoy the weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals