Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,570 times

Advertisements

How much is the rental commission in CA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 01:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
In my area, greater Chicagoland, the owner pays the fee. I have lived on the NY metro tri-state area 3 X and am aware that the renter pays the fee.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,900 times
I think it is absurd that a prospective tenant should pay for a commision on behalf of a prospective Landlord. The only people who end up paying are those who are in a desperate situation. I contacted the New Jersey Realty Commission abot this and a very rude man told me that "We don't get involved in Commission disputes". There should be an Ombudsman who legislates that this is unlawful practice. Its called 'preying on the vulnerable" well - you reap what you sow.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed2011 View Post
I think it is absurd that a prospective tenant should pay for a commision on behalf of a prospective Landlord. The only people who end up paying are those who are in a desperate situation. I contacted the New Jersey Realty Commission abot this and a very rude man told me that "We don't get involved in Commission disputes". There should be an Ombudsman who legislates that this is unlawful practice. Its called 'preying on the vulnerable" well - you reap what you sow.
I disagree with your entire post, except for NJ REC's comment about commissions.
Commissions are a private matter, not a public matter.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:08 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed2011 View Post
I also find it absurd that landlords put the onus of paying their marketing agents on the tenant. I think it's a silly way to do business and it probably ends up costing the landlord a months rent or two becasue of extra marketing time in many cases.

HOWEVER....if that's what they decide to do, and if the agent chooses to work under those conditions, and if the tenant accepts that as a cost of renting that particular property and finds the cost worth the property, why should you or I or the Real Estate Commission say otherwise? It's a negotiated matter, open for everyone to choose how they want to proceed. No one forces anyone to rent a property under these conditions. I don't see how this is preying on anyone. Here's the property, these are the costs you incur to rent it. Do you want it or not?

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 07-15-2011 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Makes you wonder how often people even use agents for rentals. The only time I ever used an agent to find me a rental was because it was a relo from work and they provided the agent. Every other time I just found the places by myself so no commission involved.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:30 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Makes you wonder how often people even use agents for rentals. The only time I ever used an agent to find me a rental was because it was a relo from work and they provided the agent. Every other time I just found the places by myself so no commission involved.
I get quite a few rental calls and help several people a year.
The benefit for the tenant is the convenience of me getting them into homes from several property management companies and they only talk to the one(s) that they want to rent from.

And often I can make the appointments via the MLS/Centralized Showing Services, so I don't even have to call around for appointments.

Here, $100-$150 is a common fee, paid by the property manager. Obviously paid from the tenant's rent monies.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:38 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Ultimately, the tenant pays for the fee - up front or not.
They also pay the taxes, upkeep, etc. Otherwise, why
would someone ever rent out a property? ( In the long run. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals