Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:08 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,545,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Interestingly, the very first question under Background Information on the Florida application for a real estate agent or broker's license is about any convictions, and it states that a background check WILL be done. They also take fingerprints, presumably for this purpose, and have since 2006.
They were taking fingerprints long before 2006.

None of us, including Betlebee, know all the circumstances regarding the agent.

Of course we all want our industry to be above reproach but it is just a fact of life that there are undesirables in every industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:12 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,178,837 times
Hmmm. The information on the official website I was searching on gave a 2006 date - maybe that was the date it was required and they were doing it beforehand?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:17 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,532,718 times
Quote:
Interestingly, the very first question under Background Information on the Florida application for a real estate agent or broker's license is about any convictions, and it states that a background check WILL be done. They also take fingerprints, presumably for this purpose, and have since 2006.
In the public records of this convicted felon, it shows she was fingerprinted after being convicted...so to me it is ridiculous that she could get her license almost a week after her 3rd convition!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:20 AM

And, still, we only have your say-so as to this actually being the case. Given your clearly-expressed bias in times past, just as you'd be more comfortable being able to run your own background check on any agent that you choose to deal with and believe, I'd be more comfortable with actual facts that can be verified.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Hmmm. The information on the official website I was searching on gave a 2006 date - maybe that was the date it was required and they were doing it beforehand?
The last conviction for this person was in 2005 and she still is on probation. So obtained her first license after the 3rd conviction, a week after being sentenced to 36 months of probation....Sure i don't know all the facts but most of the facts are in the public records which i have send to one of the realtors on this forum...it shows where she was arrested and what for and to me grand theft, fraude (stop payments with intend to commit fraud), shoplifting with an amount between $ 300.- and $ 5,000) and getting a judgment for over $4,000.- says enough...

Still the person at the licensing board told me that a license wasn't possible to be given to a person like this, but she got it and the realtor who checked on this found out that in Florida it is possible...so there better be done something about this...because why should this be the only convicted felon working as a realtor...this person was denied jobs at many retail stores because of her past...even Walmart denied it....so this person can be in your home and taken jewelry (as she has stolen) and taken your Identity!!!! I'm not here to blame the realtors, but I had to deal with this person who I hired as my realtor without knowing all this and it makes me sick and I don't want it to happen to others. I wish some one would do something to prevent people like this to get access to lock boxes and more....she took me into several homes and sometimes told me she had been in there before... Most homes I looked at were empty but she went to others homes as well.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:26 AM

40,919 posts, read 48,840,861 times
I haven't researched but if you are convicted of a felony & served your time ....

.... does this prevent you from becoming a licensed real estate agent in your state ?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:29 AM

bentlebee, do you understand the difference between claiming something and documenting it? Telling the same story, with embellishments, over and over, doesn't make it true or factual.

If you can, privately or here, provide facts that can be checked, that would be another matter entirely. Until then, it's just "believe me because I say so" by an anonymous poster on an internet forum - and one who's demonstrated that they have an ax to grind, at that.

You see the predicament? Even if we want to believe you, when the factual information that is brought up by others shows that something IS done about it, and you claim that it isn't, but provide no facts for checking, it's a quandary.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I haven't researched but if you are convicted of a felony & served your time ....

.... does this prevent you from becoming a licensed real estate agent in your state ?
I'm not sure but this person was convicted and obtained her license withina week of the conviction and had to start the probation sentence of 36 months which she is still serving.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:30 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,538,753 times
Quote:
bentlebee, do you understand the difference between claiming something and documenting it? Telling the same story, with embellishments, over and over, doesn't make it true or factual.

If you can, privately or here, provide facts that can be checked, that would be another matter entirely. Until then, it's just "believe me because I say so" by an anonymous poster on an internet forum - and one who's demonstrated that they have an ax to grind, at that.

You see the predicament? Even if we want to believe you, when the factual information that is brought up by others shows that something IS done about it, and you claim that it isn't, but provide no facts for checking, it's a quandary.
I'd be interested in the Response from the Real Estate Commission (if the poster inquired) who probably does know all of the facts. While background checks are done, they are usually to expose the facts and then a determination can be done. Rather than indite someone based upon another's statement of past criminal history, it would be assuring to know that the Commission is aware of the person's background, has made an assessment, and issued a license.

We live in a society where second chances can and are appropriate - if this person has been given one, why the crusade to tear them apart?

Last edited by walidm; 06-23-2008 at 11:54 AM..

Old 06-23-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
I'd be interested in the Response from the Real Estate Commission (if the poster inquired) who probably does know all of the facts. While background checks are done, they are usually to expose the facts and then a determination can be done. Rather than indite someone based upon another's statement of past criminal history, it would be assuring to know that the Commission is aware of the person's background, has made an assessment, and issued a license.

We live in a society where second chances can and are appropriate - if this person has been given one, why the crusade to tear them apart?
3x convicted, how many chances do you want to give a person? While the license was given after the 3rd conviction which was 36 months probation instead of 15 months in prison, all to be read in the public records!!!

By the way I can provide the proof as I have already given to one of the realtors on this forum, but I need the address to send it too, so as TexasHorseLady has asked..she can get it as soon as she emails me her address, but Texas law can be different from the Florida law although I assume no licensing board in the USA should allow a license to any realtor convicted on the things I described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals