Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 04:40 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times

Advertisements

Can I build a site and add an IDX-MLS search from that state (or area), even though I'm not a Realtor there? How do I go about doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 09:16 PM

153 posts, read 312,566 times
Normally the IDX feed is from the MLS to which you have a membership. You might be able to get such a thing from a web service, but I've never heard of such a thing.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:21 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
You have to be a member of the MLS in order to use IDX, or contract with the local MLS to get the feed. I assume you pay some fee for the data.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:24 AM

505 posts, read 2,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Can I build a site and add an IDX-MLS search from that state (or area), even though I'm not a Realtor there? How do I go about doing this?
One way around not being licensed in every state is to work a deal out with agents/brokers there. You can always offer them leads that come in from the website (obviously for a small referral fee). All you have to do is team up with them and set up an arrangement...they contact their MLS and get what's called an IDX feed. Each MLS does it differently - mine gives you a name and PW to log into an ftp site where you download an ascii file of all the listings and photos.

There are strict guidelines when displaying the info - but my MLS only costs 99/yr for that service. They offer other packages such as framing and links - but I don't think that would be the way you would want to go as it would be too choppy.

Good Luck and let me know if this helped!
~Joey

Old 07-06-2008, 06:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
My first question would be, why would you want to do this? What are you trying to accomplish? That information would be necessary to give a good answer about how to do it (or even if it's even possible/legal to do it for your purposes).

You would have to pay for the service, of course. How that's done would vary according to the rules of the particular MLS you have in mind.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:56 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
Rapture's building an online referral service.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
One way around not being licensed in every state is to work a deal out with agents/brokers there. You can always offer them leads that come in from the website (obviously for a small referral fee). All you have to do is team up with them and set up an arrangement...they contact their MLS and get what's called an IDX feed. Each MLS does it differently - mine gives you a name and PW to log into an ftp site where you download an ascii file of all the listings and photos.

There are strict guidelines when displaying the info - but my MLS only costs 99/yr for that service. They offer other packages such as framing and links - but I don't think that would be the way you would want to go as it would be too choppy.

Good Luck and let me know if this helped!
~Joey
This is what I would be doing. I have friends in a couple other states that are Realtors and I was going to build a site for their area and add some type of search for people. As I receive the leads, refer them out. There are other people that do this, so I know it can be done, I just don't know how. The lead generator I use here allows me to view when people are on my site, how many times they are there and when and what properties they saved. I would also like to have those options. I've never worked with IDX because my company gives us a web site and lead generator. I do know how to build a web site, so I thought IDX might be the answer for the other locations. I just didn't know if it's permitted w/o a license in those states.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:14 AM

153 posts, read 312,566 times
The only time I've used IDX on my website I got a prepackaged deal from my MLS. But if you're building a site from scratch and are not a member of an MLS, then you might want to check out this website from the manufacturer of IDX

IDX/MLS by IDX Broker - Multiple Listing Service search tools for realtors® and real estate websites

Of course, you may have already been there. But they do have a listing of all the MLS systems in the US that use IDX. (believe it or not, some still do not). They may be able to assist you with other questions. Good Luck!

Old 03-13-2009, 04:51 PM

I'm bring this thread bcak because I have another related question. I can use the IDX feature through my MLS or there are companies that offer this. Which would be better to use and why? If you have IDX on your site and do not use the one offered through your local MLS, which one do you use and why? Thanks for the help!

Old 03-13-2009, 06:15 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
I get my feed through the MLS. I'm thrifty, so why pay for something that I can get for 'free'. Others might be more powerful, but I know how to tinker with it so I have several set up for certain subdivisions,towns, price ranges and property types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals