Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 08:04 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times

Advertisements

We are about to go into escrow with the buyers of our house. They only have 10% down but do have pre-approved financing. The one hurdle our realtor said that we may face is the appraisal review (2nd appraisal that is required with 10% down). Do any of you have any experience with appraisal reviews? Thanks for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
I do them all the time. As a Certified Appraisal Reviewer (NAIFA) there is a lot to it. IF the appraisal was done by an appraiser that thinks he is trying to help one party or the other, the appraisal can be cut substantially. If the appraisal does not provide adequate support for the opinion of value it can be cut substantially. If there is adequate support for the value, if there is sufficient explanations for the adjustments and the adjustments are reasonable, then there should be no problems. If there are some questions, often the appraiser will have an opportunity to readdress the issues the reviewer raises. If those are dealt with professionally, it should not delay anything.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:33 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
Thank you very much Goodpasture. I'm not quite sure why our agent made that remark about appraisal reviews - he might have had some bad experiences, I need to ask him. Our house is all upgraded and beautiful but it is my understanding that appraisals are not done so much on upgrades as they are square footage - don't know if this is true...there again, our home is about 500 square feet larger than most homes in the neighborhood...so I'm crossing my fingers that everything will come out okay....thanks again for your thoughts - I really appreciate your reply.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:35 AM

Appraisals are supposed to be based on the market response to the subject property. That SHOULD include amenities, upgrades, condition, age........ANYTHING that can be measured by the market. The reason the Realtor is concerned is that over the past few years a lot of appraisers would "appraise" to the selling price or to some predetermined value (illegal, but they would do it to ensure a steady stream of work) and reviewers like me would analyze the market and put the value where the market says it is rather than where the LO/Realtor/Buyer/Seller wanted it to be. This caused deals to collapse. Due to the current environment, created by the excesses of the past few years, lenders are getting a lot more cautious. If your house is substantially larger than all the other houses in the neighborhood then you might very well meet the definition of superadequate. If that is the case (if the appraiser used all comparables that are substantially smaller) and simply adjusted a lump sum per square foot for the difference, there could easily be a problem. In the appraisal classes I teach I find a lot of appraisers have no idea how to extract the price per square foot from the market, so they use a flat rate of $15 or $25 or $30 or something, as a square foot adjustment without any support. As the price is what someone paid for a specific house with specific features in a specific condition, more than one (more than 10 usually) have to be looked at to develop an accurate estimate of value for the various amenities in various conditions. It's a complicated process, and a lot of appraisers take shortcuts. It is the credibility of these shortcuts that create the problem.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:16 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Appraisals are supposed to be based on the market response to the subject property. That SHOULD include amenities, upgrades, condition, age........ANYTHING that can be measured by the market. The reason the Realtor is concerned is that over the past few years a lot of appraisers would "appraise" to the selling price or to some predetermined value (illegal, but they would do it to ensure a steady stream of work) and reviewers like me would analyze the market and put the value where the market says it is rather than where the LO/Realtor/Buyer/Seller wanted it to be. This caused deals to collapse. Due to the current environment, created by the excesses of the past few years, lenders are getting a lot more cautious. If your house is substantially larger than all the other houses in the neighborhood then you might very well meet the definition of superadequate. If that is the case (if the appraiser used all comparables that are substantially smaller) and simply adjusted a lump sum per square foot for the difference, there could easily be a problem. In the appraisal classes I teach I find a lot of appraisers have no idea how to extract the price per square foot from the market, so they use a flat rate of $15 or $25 or $30 or something, as a square foot adjustment without any support. As the price is what someone paid for a specific house with specific features in a specific condition, more than one (more than 10 usually) have to be looked at to develop an accurate estimate of value for the various amenities in various conditions. It's a complicated process, and a lot of appraisers take shortcuts. It is the credibility of these shortcuts that create the problem.
Can I convince you to move to my county? Please, please, pretty please

Old 06-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Can I convince you to move to my county? Please, please, pretty please
Thanks for the kind words. I would, I really really would, except.......have you ever seen the tall grass prairie bloom with Indian Blanket? Can you live on $1500 a month? I like Oklahoma and I am at home in the Indian Nations.....but maybe one of these days I can teach in Your part of the world.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I haven't, it sounds gorgeous. I think I'll stick to the snow capped Sierras $1500? Only if I give up my vices and I'm not prepared to do that yet. I have a broker friend around here who is also licensed in OK, He splits his time between the 2 places introducing CA investors to the sanity of OK prices

isn't it nice we both love the places we are?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 43,649 times
Goodpasture - great name for Oklahoma! I live in Oklahoma too and am having my house appraised tomorrow (last minute). I have been out of town for two weeks and my house is a mess right now. Does the Appraiser look at how neat your house is or just looking at square footage? I just don't have time to clean the whole house up for her by tomorrow a.m. Thanks!!

Old 07-09-2008, 04:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,542,392 times
We don't care about clutter and dust too much. As long as we can see the floors, walls and other pertinent areas a little clutter doesn't bother us and should not affect the value of the house at all.

Clutter etc becomes problematic if it creates pests and other damaging conditions.

Good luck on your appraisal!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals