Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:44 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,042,913 times

Advertisements

We are moving to another state in about 10 days and the realtor we have chosen to work with there does not respond to my emails in a timely manner and often not at all. I have tried to set up appointments with her to see available properties as soon as we arrive.

I've emailed her telling her that we are very anxious to get an escrow started, we are paying cash and then I gave her the date (July 28) that we will be available to start looking. I've told her we are willing to look all day, every day depending on her schedule. I've sent her various links to houses we would like to see - no response for 4 days.

Yesterday she called me on my cell phone while I was away from the house to ask me which dates I was available (I already emailed her that information days before). I asked if she had received my emails and she said yes....she said she would send me "a lot of homes" to look at via the internet. a day and a half later - nothing. She still hasn't let us know whether she is available the week of July 28.

Am I being unreasonable in my frustration with this agent's lack of response? I know that we have a couple of weeks before we will be able to physically look for a house, but I want to schedule time with our agent before she fills her calender (she is a busy agent).

We just sold our home and our selling agent communicated often via email. When I have appointments, dates, times, etc., I really appreciate an email so that I can save it and refer to it to make sure I have all the information correct.

What do you think of this situation?

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-12-2008 at 09:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 09:04 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,970,243 times
Let the agent know you are more comfortable with email and would like communication to be better and more often. Give her a chance to fix it and if she doesn't move on. You may want to research other candidates as a backup.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:26 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Email is my main form of communication today when possible. I'm on it at least 4-5 times a day but may be out and not check it for hours.

If you want me now call my cell phone. Normal business send me an email. Email provides a written record of communications.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:34 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,163,979 times
I came from the telecommunications field when I started in real estate and was shocked at how few agents consistently use email, even though our company has a very good internal email system and many of them carry wireless email devices (blackberry, Treo, etc.). I have had to adjust to this also. If you really prefer to communicate by email as I do, look for an agent that does also and one that carries a wireless device that they receive their email on.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:56 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,244 times
While I don't carry a blackberry, I have a wireless card for my laptop, so if I have to check email or look something up, I can. Emails are a pretty vital part of the business, but there are still a few Realtors that have been doing it forever without it and don't need to change. Just air your concerns with your Realtor. She'll adapt to you or you will get another that'll work better with you.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:58 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,254 times
My god, I don't know what I did before cell phones and email. I'm on my email constantly throughout the day. My site is based on email communication. While I don't have a phone that I can retrieve my email through I'm around enough throughout the day to access and answer in a timely manner. I email very often so as to keep records and prefer to do it that way vs the phone. Phone conversations are followed up with an email. I'm also using text messaging quite often. I can have a 'conversation' while in a place where it's not appropriate to be talking on the phone. I couldn't work with an agent that isn't internet/email savvy.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:37 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,042,913 times
Thanks very much for your responses - I agree, we can't work with an agent that doesn't respond to emails. The agent also only has a voice mail listed on her web page - no cell phone.....hopefully, she gives her clients her cell phone number.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:57 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Thanks very much for your responses - I agree, we can't work with an agent that doesn't respond to emails. The agent also only has a voice mail listed on her web page - no cell phone.....hopefully, she gives her clients her cell phone number.
Sounds to me like your agent is either part time, has another job, is not invested in her profession, and/or just doesn't know how to run her business. Seems like she has had plenty of chances. I'd get another agent and I'd also let her know why. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:45 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,254 times
I agree. If you tell an agent this
Quote:
very anxious to get an escrow started, we are paying cash and then I gave her the date (July 28) that we will be available to start looking. I've told her we are willing to look all day, every day depending on her schedule. I've sent her various links to houses we would like to see
and get no response for 4 days, then something is either very wrong or she's so busy that you aren't going to get good service. If she's that busy, she'd have an assistant helping sort through the listings until the OP got into town.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:54 AM

58 posts, read 151,067 times
All real estate agents are busy but never to busy for new business. I feel you should be treated as if you are the agents main priority. Isn't that their business, customer service? If they can not give you their full attention there are plenty of hungry real estate agents that are awesome in their profession that can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals