Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:45 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Rakin, oh but I am a nice sort of crazy.

Yes, maybe wise....bless their hearts.
If and when it happens, want it to be a 'happy' break, with no hard feelings.. ya know?
I helps to be a little on the crazy side when you're selling a house.

Hopefully they will want a happy break also. Most brokers reputation means a lot to them & they want to keep people happy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:52 AM

830 posts, read 1,064,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Do yourself a favor and read the agreement again. I am hard -pressed to think of a contract in any business that does not provide for a termination clause.

In my area, the owner can terminate the listing with ( fill in the blank) days notice. There are no strings or costs involved in doing so. This may or may not be the case in your area.
My listing contract did not have a termination clause. My agent (friend at the time) said I can take the house off the market anytime during the contract but I couldn't cancel. She said I could take the house off the market but I couldn't list it with another agent or if I sold it myself I would have to give them commission just the same so she said there would be no reason to sell it myself. Hmmmm, everything she was telling me WASN'T in the contract either. Go figure ....

Old 07-21-2008, 12:33 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
If I had the listing you could cancel it at any time for any reason without any argument.

In CA you can terminate the agreement by saying so in a certified letter to the brokerage. All other parts of the agreement stand including the clause that says in the next 60 days if you enter into an agreement to sell it to someone that was introduced to the property while it was listed you owe me the commission.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
Kansas Real Estate Commission

Well, ain't we just learning something every day? Look at that site..those are Kansas contracts and they are IRREVOCABLE. There is NOTHING in either listing contract that explains how it can be canceled, for what reasons, for a fee, nothing. Nadda.
Wow. I'm surprised!

So, I guess unless there is something they did very wrong, I don't know how you would get out of the agreement.
Thanks PC. I learn something new, every day. And I am surprised, very surprised.

I would call the listing agent and managing broker and let them know that I am not moving and want to terminate. If that does not work, I would change the ask price and add $1MM to it.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:52 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Thanks PC. I learn something new, every day. And I am surprised, very surprised.

I would call the listing agent and managing broker and let them know that I am not moving and want to terminate. If that does not work, I would change the ask price and add $1MM to it.
I agree that I learned something new today. Sellers in KS beware! Wow!

Old 07-21-2008, 06:30 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
crazyma,

You've got legitimate grounds for withdrawal, your life situation has changed. I'm sure the the agent and her/his broker would remove the house from the market for you, as long as you don't turn around and list it with a competitor and be willing to sell to somebody who was introduced during their listing period. If they won't let you out of the contract, ask to be removed from MLS and wait for the contract to expire.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,072 times
In NJ I understood listing agreements were just that- an agreement- not an actual contract - so that a seller could always opt out for any reason whatsoever- can anyone tell me positively that the information I received is wrong?

Old 12-20-2010, 04:26 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
an agreement can be an enforceable contract. What does your agreement say about cancelling and termination?

Old 12-20-2010, 04:30 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,241,694 times
In NC, all contracts must have a listing date that starts and ends.

I always tell my sellers that if I'm doing something they don't like, to please tell ME and we'll see if we can correct it. If not, I'd allow them out of their listing contract. Some companies will not agree to this but my company is very flexible with me.

I think it would create a bad feeling if a seller were forced to keep an agent or company to sell their house.

So...my suggestion would be to decide if you want the agents to change something or if you just want to end your contract. Be honest. Tell them how you feel.

I totally understand the "happy break" and I feel the same way!

Vicki

Old 12-21-2010, 07:41 PM

145 posts, read 498,974 times
If you don't NEED to sell anymore wait, hopefully the market will adjust in a year or two. Call your agent and fill 'em in.... I bet it's a five minute conversation. Every agent knows that trying to sell the home of a unmotivated Seller in this market is like throwing time and advertising dollars out the window. Get it over with you'll feel better when it is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals