U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 AM

250 posts, read 952,004 times

Advertisements

"Great Room" is another name I hear on HGTV , but we don't use it here in MN except sometimes in new construction.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:31 AM

955 posts, read 4,294,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In my area, a closet is not a requirement for classification as a bedroom.
And nothing below gade, regardless of closet or window, can be classified as a bedroom in the bedroom count.

It's fasinating how different areas define stuff.
It most certainly is!

About the "nothing below grade can be counted as a bedroom" thing, does that mean that the house in the link I provided would show up as a 2-bedroom house only? If a couple was looking for a 4-bedroom house, would this one get skipped over altogether in your MLS?

Coastal Home Plans - Tranquility

Old 08-01-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Frogs are not "family" rooms over the garage, they are "finished" rooms over the garage.
Doh! Correctomundo! Thanks for making the distinction.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:28 AM

Geez, I get on my own nerves! I erased my responses. Here we go again.

Thanks one and all for the responses! I made note of your location/region and wrote down the terminology used in your area. Points coming your way if I can ever get through writing this. I'm so slow.

GnosticCyn: That must have been quite an undertaking, building that database.

SilverFall: I kind of thought your area had basements. I think it's Florida, Texas, Arizona, and Nevada that don't have basements, at all. Not sure about California or New Mexico.

Bibit612: I've seen "keeping rooms" also referred to as "Hearth rooms" in the vicinity of the kitchen. Maybe the person doing the cooking can sit there and read or watch a little TV, but not be too far away from the stove.

Lacerta: Bingo! There's that word "den." Okay. In your area, it's an office/library. Thanks.

SarahMaske: Yes, the architect on Hidden Potential is forever knocking down walls and combining the LR, DR, and kitchen and saying "Now, we have a great room." That would never work for me because I'm a big time messy cook, and I don't want my pots, pans, mixing bowls, soup cans, colanders, blenders, etc., visible as soon as you walk in the door.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:21 PM

1,503 posts, read 5,887,685 times
Here in Southern California:

Family Room is a big room next to the kitchen where the family eats and watches TV. Oftentimes there's even no wall between the kitchen and the family room. Sometimes there's a separate Dining Room, but the Family Room is more likely to be next to the kitchen than the Dining Room.

Bonus Room / Rec Room / Den / Library / Study are almost synonymous. Homebuilders generally avoid calling a room "bedroom" unless there's a closet. However, that is not required by the code. Rec Room is typically on the ground floor, often next to the garage.

http://www.richmondamerican.com/ImageServer.aspx?ii=422021&Width=600&Height=600 (broken link)

Last edited by esmith143; 11-14-2008 at 03:31 PM..

Old 11-18-2008, 04:42 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,585,994 times
Are basements common in your area? not at all
Family Room (informal) = a family room is a more defined area than a 'great room
Where is it located? first floor
Rec Room (informal) = we don't really have them...up north it would have been in the basement
Where is it located? _____________________.
Bonus Room (informal) = here this is a room above the garage although some will refer to an undefined room as a bonus roomWhere is it located? _____________________.
Library/Study (formal with paneling) = here it would be called den or study, generally den, unless it's a high-end home
I'm in Palm Coast Florida.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:55 PM

4,997 posts, read 5,592,292 times
Virgo- that lower level is not below grade if the plans read correctly. It looks like that is what used to be referred to as a 'daylight' basement. Which basically means below the main floor but not below grade (ie- the house slopes front to rear.)

In my area grade does not matter- to be a bedroom it needs an egress window and built in storage/closet. I live in an area with a huge amount of older homes and the simply bolt an armoir to the wall to meat the built in storage requirment.

I think all the fancy names are so people can charge more. No one took out jumbo mortgages for a house when it had the spare room, clutter room or den. But through on a bonus room, upgrade to great room and name every 8x8 cubby as office, study, sitting room and we'll all rack up the debt. Only slightly kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals