Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 AM

620 posts, read 1,947,522 times

Advertisements

This question relates to inspections:

We just received and a contract on our house. ( Yipee considering it hasn't been on the market 45 days!) My husband and I are living out of state and we are responsible or the termite inspection. Would it be acceptable to ask our agent to meet the inspector at our house for the inspection? I just don't want to drive 12 hours for a one hour deal. I am not worried about the inspection because we have had a pest/control contract in place since the house was built.

I am just not sure about the "norm" for this.The inspector will know our house since they are the ones who come to it on a regular basis. The agent would just need to be at the home while he is there. We are working with Cartus and I know her fees will be paid from them, but I am not sure if she gets paid less and thinks she shouldn't have to do this. I am not sure how much they are paying her.

Now, as far as the buyer's inspection- I know we shouldn't be there for that. Does the buyer's agent let the inspector/buyers in? The house is not vacant. All our nonessentials are still in the house.

Thank you for insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 08:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,509,429 times
It common for out of area owners to rely on their real estate agent to facilitate things associated with the sale of property .

It is customary for the listing agent to let people into the home for inspection and appraisal purposes.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:21 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,910,797 times
In my area we have a lot of out of state buyers and sellers. Not having the seller present for inspections is the norm. I am always present during an inspection.

In some cases the inspecting firm will have a key to the lock box, if not the buyer's real estate agent should be able to open the property.

If I were you I'd ask that my real estate agent be present.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 AM

16 posts, read 40,893 times
Default Ask the Agent

In our area it is the norm for the listing agent to handle these types of details. In my experience, most agents are more than willling to help in any reasonalbe way. Just ask the agent, it is not about the money, it is about the service.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:40 AM

15,513 posts, read 40,244,030 times
As long as you are doing a regular representation type of contract with your agent the listing agent should meet the P&D guy there. If it is a limited representation/MLS only listing you would have to negotiate that fee separately.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:41 AM

Thank you all so much for your replies. I guess we will be calling our agent then! We are just trying to " get our ducks in a row" and make the process smooth for everyone involved. We do not want any delays in closing. We have until October 17th to do the termite inspection,but I want to do it ASAP.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:57 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,820,952 times
raising3boys, I used to do a lot of referrals with Cartus, and you should actually be getting TOP DRAWER service, which includes meeting all your inspections, and going to your closing, etc. At the end of the day, your agent wants you to complete his/her evaluation with all excellents. Anything less does nothing for her.

Shellly

Old 09-16-2008, 11:18 AM

Shelly thank you so much for the information about Cartus. I did not realize we would be completing an evaluation on her. So I guess then we should not hesitate to ask her to go to the inspection!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals