Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times

Advertisements

thank you Bob. that is what I am talking about : )

shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 01:57 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
On this forum I try to use Real Estate agent. Like Kleenex, the Realtor word is becoming generic & I want to try and use it only when applicable.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:26 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,993,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
When responding to a question by the public on this forum I tend to refer to the individual that they are referring to as licensee or real estate sales person. I do this primarily because I don't know if they are actually dealing with a Realtor.
I always call you sweet folks agents. It's just quick and accurate.

By the way, the ® means that it's a registered trademark, so you're both right.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:34 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Since I am a real estate agent and not a Realtor®, I always make sure to use real estate agent. My MLS gives us a choice. I think about 1/2 are Realtors®.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:04 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,868 times
In my neck of the woods you must be a Realtor to be a member of the MLS and all the
big companies require you to be a member of the local board - so 98% of us are Realtors.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:11 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlboney View Post
Almost everyone here in Columbia is a Realtor, and the public at large seems to call us Realtors more than real estate agents. So, I almost always use the term Realtor, but I do explain the difference.
Out of curiosity, do you tell all people not to use Realtors and that you don't like them, or was it just that one post on the Columbia thread?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:10 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,993,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Out of curiosity, do you tell all people not to use Realtors and that you don't like them, or was it just that one post on the Columbia thread?
A realtor complaining about business practices intended to try to squeeze them out... this must be the bizarro forum.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:57 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,029,802 times
Default Counter Productive

shelleytc-I quite agree with you. Although I prefer the term "Real Estate Broker" over "Real Estate Agent". (I'm in NC where its an all Broker state)
Everytime I hear, "Agent" I want to start singing, "Secret Agent Man".

This will probably upset a few, but.............

I spend tens of thousands of dollars a year showing why my company is unique, different from everyone else. Being lumped in with all others as a "Realtor" is counter-productive to who we are, what we do and the image we are presenting.
I am sad to say that the majority of customers and clients that we come in contact with that voice an opinion of a Realtor has a negative comment and/or opinion.

I do not need to be associated with that. We'll rise or fall on our own accord.

Bill

Old 09-13-2008, 02:35 PM

540 posts, read 2,173,813 times
I'm one of those that thinks language is important. In Oregon (an all Broker state) it is sometimes even more confusing.
Licensee/Broker - same here
Agent - based on the contractual relationship you have with a client (difference between a "client" and a "customer" is that relationship)
REALTOR® - Member of NAR (as well as state and local associations)
Real Estate Professional - the generic term I tend to use to lump us all together

Last thought - I wish that we could do MORE to make the REALTOR® brand powerful and stand apart from the licensee/broker who is NOT a member. We have the Code of Ethics, but the general public does not really understand the distinction, so I think that gets lost on them. I've often pondered the idea that we should establish (or formalize the existing) mentoring programs. In the same way that you can be a Doctor...you have to do some internship in order to be able to develop the broader skills and specialize. Just a thought - would love to hear other folks opinions on the subject.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:35 AM

14 posts, read 245,905 times
Smile they're "Cokes" in AL, too :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Heck, soft drinks are called "Coke" all across Texas, in my experience. And have been for as long as I can remember (which is a disturbingly long time ).

LOL, they're called "Cokes" in AL, too. As in, hey, ya'll, let's go get a Coke! It's a southern thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals