Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:31 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times

Advertisements

To add to what others have said, if you did contact the buyers' agent directly to let them know you want to see the offer, you might be showing your cards, and you're going to lose some of your negotiating power. They'll take your comment as "desperate" for any offer. But overall, your listing agreement should state something about how you are not to contact the other parties without your agent's permission or knowledge, so talk with your broker first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 08:45 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
So, what do I do? I feel like sending an email to the buyer's agent telling her to submit the offer. Thoughts? TIA
I would start off with telling your agent to contact that other agent and get the offer presented.
First, yruo agent shouldn't have said it's too low an offer. And maybe you'll find out she didn't. Maybe she said something more like "Well, it might be a good start, but you aren't going to actually get the house for that." Which is still a mistake, but not quite the same as, "Gee that's too low an offer." In either case, I agree with whomever it was that said the response ought to have been "Great, I'll look forward to seeing it in writing, here's the fax number."
You also have to question the buyers agent. Who fails to send the offer becasue of one comment about it being too low? Hell, I expect every sellers agent to think that every first offer is too low, because their job is to negotiate for the highest price, and we should all be expecting to negotiate up from any initial offer.
Again, I recommend having your agent get in touch with the buyers agent and get that offer. And it shouldn'r look desperate. Your agent can simply call & say "Hey, you said you were going to fax me an offer, and I don't seem to have gotten it. I'm by my fax machine right now, and would love to see it."

Old 09-26-2008, 09:19 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
ok so the offer was verbal. I usually say, I'll send it over to the seller, when should I expect it?

I had a broker once who said there no offer, that is not worth countering.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:45 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,387,747 times
Hey Brookdaleresident, in our area, its required that all offers be presented, and unless you had told your agent a bottom line offer, then your agent is in bad error. In fact one that I would suggest you fire them immediatly, unless they can recover. Any good buyers agent, will always start low, as what do they have to loose, and then the counter process can begin.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:01 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
I realize it isn't "proper" for a seller to contact a buyer's agent, but is it totally out of line? The reason I'm considering it is my agent told a prospective buyer's agent that their offer was too low. She never contacted me. I never instructed her to do that. When she told me what she did, I told her I want to consider all offers. I didn't think it was that low for a start either (389,900, listed at 419,900). The agent never submitted the offer. I'm wondering if the offer was the buyer's max, or if the agent was turned off by my agent's response.

So, what do I do? I feel like sending an email to the buyer's agent telling her to submit the offer. Thoughts? TIA
As a seller I would have been hot.
What I would do is type up a letter stating that you want all offers presented no matter how low.
I would also include this event in the letter, stating that the agent may have cost you a sale.
I would send it to the broker in charge via fax & certified letter as well as the agent.
Depending on my mood and how happy I was with said agent, I also might ask to be released from contract since this agent appears to have their own agenda.

Do I remember right that you aren't happy with them to begin with? If you are not, maybe it's time to move on.

Would I contact the buyers agent? Probably. I also might send them the same fax.

Be sure to include your address and MLS number on any letters.

I'm not an agent, you've gotten advice on things you can quote from your contract, which you should also include in the letter.

Do you think your agent wants to sell the house on their own? Is it possible they didn't like the buyers agent and said what they said due to that? Neither matters but it's something to think about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals