Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 08:27 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times

Advertisements

Hey,
Okay I have a realtor looking for some land for me out in the country. My question is, what's the average length of time that it usually takes before an agent finds a property that perfectly matches the client's criteria? Does the perfect property usually appear immediately or does it usually take a few weeks or month before the realtor finds something that the client loves?

The reason i ask is because I'm just curious, really. My realtor sent me some properties in the past day that were waaaay off in terms of what I was looking for. But he's only been with us for about 1 day, so I'll give him time. So, is the matchmaking process usually a long drawn out process or are they more instant? What's the average??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 09:11 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,128 times
From what I've seen realtors discuss here, it can take days to months, depending on the client. I would suggest sending your realtor MLS#s of houses that you see online (esp. in your area, but even if not) that fit your list of requirements. That will give him a better idea of what you are looking for. Otherwise, if the only info he has is that you have a budget of $250k and want a 3br/2ba, that could turn up anything from a nice condo to a junkie old house built in the 1960s that needs total renovations, depending on where you live of course.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:01 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Wow...1 day...not much of a chance. My longest client took 2 years. Shortest was one showing, said she didn't want to see anything else and bought the house.

I find shopping for land takes a few months with my clients. I have some that we are closing in on a year now. If your agent was way off base, tell them they are way off base and articulate why they are off base. Sometimes buyers think they know what they want and think they are articulating it well to agents. I actually find it more helpful to clarify wants when clients tell me what they don't like. Tell your agent what you don't like. I think they will find that helpful in the screening process.

It takes a while to "train" your agent to what you want. If after a while they still don't get it, then you may want to consider hiring someone that is more in tune with you.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:16 PM

192 posts, read 631,150 times
It's all in the communication and relationship you have with your realtor. (Note I am a realtor) When I go outside the criteria I explain my reason and ask for feedback. Nothing,but nothing is more important than you feeling comfortable and confident in YOUR representative in one of the most important decisions of your life. Remember - once you find your chosen property there may be negotiations and many other"hoops" to jump through - establish the groundrules now so everyone involved comes out happy in the end! I recently sold a home to a couple who had four realtors prior to me, and had been looking for 4 years. It took 6 months but we did it and we're all very happy, and will remain friends. I wish this for you - best of luck - take a deep breath and enjoy the journey!

Old 10-11-2008, 01:44 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
I went through the MLS and sent my realtor some that interested me (but I pointed out that they were too small in acreage). So, hopefully that will help him find me something.

Now, with that said, aside from being a buyer's agent, what other value does he bring to the table if I can just search and view the MLS myself? Do agents also get some kind of list or whatever that shows property that is not yet listed on the MLS that the normal joe six pack doesn't get access to? What other search methods do they get that helps us buyers find the perfect property that is not yet on the "market" ? Can he bird dog properties for me?

Thanks for the clarification!

Old 10-11-2008, 03:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
There is no average.

I think you need to go out looking with him one time so that you and he can get an idea of what you like and dislike. Land is very tough to "look at" over the internet or with pictures. There is something just as visceral about land just like homes that doesn't translate to pictures. If your realtor sent you stuff that was "way off", perhaps he's just trying to get a feel for what your wants are.

In my area the land is so variable in terms of topography and vegetation, I take first time clients on the "17 mile drive" which gives them a chance to see all of the variety of the terrain and I ask them to sing out if they see something that appeals to them along the way.

I know property that may come on the market in the future in my area and by virtue of the MLS I know property that was for sale previously that may have been taken off the market and I usually show clients those properties during a search.

Get your boots on the ground one time and I think you'll see much better results.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:12 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,587 times
I have to agree with DMenscha, land is much more difficult to identify than a house. Some of it depends on you being able to picture the finished product. Some of it will depend on your ability to describe the subtleties of what your looking for. Typical definitions of land x acres on y road zoned ag. don't convey the spirit.
But; I'm looking for a place where I won't be able to see my neighbor, where there is a rise within a quarter mile of the main road that I can situate my house to have a walk out basement. I want a view and I'd like to have a stream on the property.
When you've given your agent your vision, then you can begin to find the right land.

Now here the kicker... I can't tell you how many people I've worked with that select something completely different from what they said they wanted in the beginning.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:52 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
One question.. you sent your agent mls #'s of properties 'that interest you' but noted they were too small in acreage. Oops..two questions. 1. why would they interest you if the the acreage was too small? 2. Didn't you find anything with the right acreage in your price range that interested you or was that right acreage too high of a price range?

Old 10-11-2008, 06:05 PM

410 posts, read 1,681,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post

Do agents also get some kind of list or whatever that shows property that is not yet listed on the MLS that the normal joe six pack doesn't get access to?
Thanks for the clarification!
TxNick...in our brokerage, we release "pocket listing" notices... meaning, a heads-up on an incoming listing before it hits the mainstream MLS. Works well for both buyers and sellers.

Sunny

Old 10-11-2008, 09:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
It is also possible that what you want, at the price you want to pay, may not be available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals