Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 12:41 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,978,734 times

Advertisements

Yes, the agent should have waited. I've been in similar both sides but I've never had anyone come in like that. My clients waited, other agents clients waited. It's the right way. I'd call the agent back after the fact or her broker to let her know she's out of line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 09:35 AM

620 posts, read 1,950,808 times
It was VERY rude! As a buyer, we have our realtor set up appointments so we can view the house with her ALONE. We don't even go to open houses because we feel more comfortable by ourselves and agent. Its a shame that you had to apologize to your clients when it was clearly someone else's lack of courtesy.

( Too bad you weren't sitting at a table writing up an offer!)

Old 11-23-2008, 11:03 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Some agents are notorious for scheduling conflicting appointments to create a sense of urgency. Obviously, this strategy is not as effective as it once was.

The protocol in my area is to wait until the first arrived, have departed. Those in the second position usually use the time to walk the property, assuming the weather is cooperative.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:09 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,421,118 times
To me whether or not it is rude depends on the situation. I always try and set up appointments for my sellers closer to each other so they spend a minimal amount of time out of the house. I try and give agents a one hour window so I would set appointments at 3:00, 4:00, 5:00 etc. if an agent is running late and the next agent is on time, then I don't think it is rude to enter. Everyone has schedules, and I agree that I do not double back for showings.

You are talking about a rural property which is a lot of travel time and out here they are spread all over. If it was a house is in a sudivision that is a different story, since coming back is easier.

I do agree its a little uncomfortable having different sets of folks in the house at the same time, and what we do out here is have one party outside while the other party is inside. If the showings are booked at the same time, well then that is rude, but if two parties hit each other because one is late...you just need to work with it.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:36 AM

192 posts, read 631,305 times
Rude and unprofessional. She was probably tickled pink to show her buyers that there was other interest! This has happened to me on both sides. If I'm showing I use tone and a "look" along with "we will be finished shortly, then it's all yours". (Yep, you guessed it, some don't get the hint) If I arrive to find another agent showing I will go in first and ask for a time line. Then take that opportunity to show the neighborhood or get a cup of coffee, if that works for my clients. If my clients timeline is short and I have scheduled this showing I will explain this and try to work with everyone involved. At least my clients know I'm working in their best interest and being professional. My clients timeline and comfort level are of the utmost importance. Manners, courteous professional behaviour, and a good dose of common sense are sometimes absent, unfortunately!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:50 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,018 times
Yes, it's rude. Even if the house was vacant, they saw your vehicle and should have either knocked on the door or rang the doorbell. Where's the professional courtesy and respect here?

Old 11-23-2008, 07:27 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,495 times
ditto for most, and here in our market, most of our companies, will not book more than one showing at a time, and usually in 30 minute intervals. Of course you sometimes are not able to be on time, so thats a different matter. On the other hand, it could even work to your good, and create some urgency, but for the most part, most agents are courteous enough to wait. Knowing the cleint would dictate what I would do, and politely easy enought to say, wait until were done.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:19 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,052,648 times
It's rude. I simply say to the other agent "we'll be out soon" And if they don't immediately get it, I'll add "if you don't mind waiting out front".

And they always get the hint. It really doesn't happen that often.

Steve

Old 11-24-2008, 08:07 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,733,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
I'm just looking for a few opinions from fellow agents and buyers. Here's what happened to me today:

I'm showing about 10 properties today to clients who are ready to purchase when they find the "right" house. It's after lunch, we've already looked at several and found a possibility or two for their "short list". We are now out in a rural horse property area, looking at a vacant house on 6 acres. The home has a nice open floorplan, great views, and several features my clients are really liking. They're enjoying taking their time and contemplating their things in the home. We've just come back in from the deck off the master bedroom and head down the hallway back to the great room when, out of nowhere, there are suddenly 7 other people in the house. The other agent says, "Hope you don't mind if we look too - it will be kind of like an open house!" I was so flabbergasted I think I just gave her a shocked look and said, "I guess so!"

I'm sorry, but especially in this slow market, doesn't common courtesy dictate that if you pull up to a house that another agent is showing that you either politely wait in the car until they've finished showing, or else you mosey on to your next showing and come back in 1/2 hour or so?

Needless to say, it broke the mood for my clients. They're still considering this home, but it definitely put a damper on their thought process.
Yes IMO that is rude, but how did the other realtor come in? Did you leave the door open? If so next time close the door and if they rang the bell tell the realtor to wait till you are done. I'm not a realtor but I was given the code by a realtor (?) to look at a house myself and another realtor showed up with a client and was banging on the door and ringing the bell. I let him wait till I was done and left and put the key back in the lockbox and the realtor got mad at me. I had called the sellers agent and told her what was going on and if I could give the key to the other realtor but the sellers agent told me to put it back in the lockbox. If the other realtor shoul have access he should know the lockbox code....the other realtor asked me my name and if I was a realtor, etc...I told him that it was non of his business and we left....maybe not nice but who did he think he was...I had no clue and didn't owe him any explanation whatsoever and by the way we laughed when we were in the car, since rude behavior should be handled in the way the ask for!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:01 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,804,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I'm not a realtor but I was given the code by a realtor (?) to look at a house myself and another realtor showed up with a client and was banging on the door and ringing the bell. ..the other realtor asked me my name and if I was a realtor, etc...I told him that it was non of his business and we left....
In Texas, the Realtor who gave you a code into a house would have their licensed strip from them so very quickly. This is against every rule there is when belonging to the board.

Also, when a Realtor asks you for proof of who you are, you better tell them. Is something happened while you were in the house, the realtor after you could have been blamed and liable. That was plain rude of you to not provide your name and to also let him know you weren't licensed. That agent had every duty to report the Realtor who gave you the code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals