Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:19 PM

467 posts, read 1,125,087 times

Advertisements

I think you'll find the highest paid agents are all on HGTV...just my humble opinion. Although an agent in my office closed on a $2MM deal the end of December. It was listed for $2.5MM. He had both sides at 7% on 100% comission plan. Sweet way to end the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,615 times
This is from Realtor.org back in 2006. I bet it is even less this past year.

....REALTORS® who’ve been in the business for two years or less earned a median of $15,300, while those with three to five years of experience earned $44,200, according to the survey. For six to 15 years, the median was $64,600, while members in the business for 16 years or more earned $76,200.

“Since most agents work on a commission and become successful over time through training, repeat business and referrals, income in those early years can be quite lean as agents establish themselves,” Bishop says.

Income was significantly higher for members who are licensed as brokers; these REALTORS® earned a median of $73,700, compared with $34,600 for salespeople, the survey shows.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:03 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,994,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Then when sellers are stuck in that 6 month contract (which you love to go off on) they are forced to drop their prices in order to sell.
I do, don't I?

Thanks for the great info all.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:17 PM

634 posts, read 1,558,705 times
My income steadily increased the first few years of full time real estate, I did have a couple of years of lul. With the economy the way it is now I mostly see lookie loos. I think most people are waiting to see what happens with the economy. Not even the properties we manage are moving very well.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:21 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
The comments posted are correct. The difference between net and gross is huge. A real estate agent is self employed. I don't think that most people understand that. The cost of suppies, computers, advertising, etc. is usually paid in full by the agent. In addition to splits of commissions most offices charge desk fees to defray the overhead cost of the office. All this plus the agent must pay self employment taxes. It's not a bad business, I enjoy it! But many agents fail within their first year because they underestimate the time and money needed to start a business.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:22 PM

189 posts, read 566,678 times
I don't care to share my information:

The following is NET (amount claimed after taxes, expenses)

2001: 14,000
2002: 32,500
2003: 38,500
2004: 65,900
2005: 83,900
2006: 75,600
2007: 65,400
2008: 38,500

All numbers rounded...by that's the jest of it.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:28 PM

171 posts, read 582,044 times
Interesting thread. My question is this - is the difference between gross and net taking into account the tax writeoffs one gets? In other words, are the "net" numbers in this thread before or after the tax deduction one can take for spending money on their own business?

One other question - I'm curious how many agents here have a home office they write off on their taxes.....

Old 06-29-2009, 03:48 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
The old 80/20 rule apples. 20% of agents make 80% of all commissions. I think the "average" agent in my area makes about $20,000 a year.
It is old but still holds very true

Old 06-29-2009, 09:18 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
how common it is to make over $50k. $100k. $200k. More?
Not common.

It's easier to ask the question in terms of gross production, then extrapolate backwards to net income. For most "producing" agents closing $2M-$5M in sales, net income will be around 43% of GCI (Gross Commission Income). This number is a result of a lot of study by Gary Keller before writing the Millionaire Real Estate Agent book.

So, if you want to earn $75K net annual income, before taxes and insurance, you'll need to generate about $175K in GCI. Assuming an average of 2.5% commission, you'd need to generate $7M in closed sales annually.

Assuming an average sales price of $250K, for example, you'd need to close a transaction every two weeks, or 28 per year. Change the math based on the average sales prices in your area.

A small percentage of agents ever close 28 transactions, period, much less in one year. It's a tough business and it chews people up and spits them out with impressive consistency. Still, the newbies come in droves, like lemmings, through the real estate schools. Most will become disheartened sooner than they imagined. Other remain in denial long after they've proven themselves incapable. A few will soar and have great careers.

And there is no reliable way to predict in advance which ones will flounder and which will make it. Interesting, isn't it?

Steve

Old 06-29-2009, 09:37 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Not common.

It's easier to ask the question in terms of gross production, then extrapolate backwards to net income. For most "producing" agents closing $2M-$5M in sales, net income will be around 43% of GCI (Gross Commission Income). This number is a result of a lot of study by Gary Keller before writing the Millionaire Real Estate Agent book.

So, if you want to earn $75K net annual income, before taxes and insurance, you'll need to generate about $175K in GCI. Assuming an average of 2.5% commission, you'd need to generate $7M in closed sales annually.

Assuming an average sales price of $250K, for example, you'd need to close a transaction every two weeks, or 28 per year. Change the math based on the average sales prices in your area.

A small percentage of agents ever close 28 transactions, period, much less in one year. It's a tough business and it chews people up and spits them out with impressive consistency. Still, the newbies come in droves, like lemmings, through the real estate schools. Most will become disheartened sooner than they imagined. Other remain in denial long after they've proven themselves incapable. A few will soar and have great careers.

And there is no reliable way to predict in advance which ones will flounder and which will make it. Interesting, isn't it?

Steve
Well spoken!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals