U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Real estate agent: interviewing agents, cluttered paperwork, prepping home for sale, marketing

Old 01-24-2009, 01:53 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,548,381 times

Advertisements

We are not looking to put our house on the market until April or so, but as some of you suggested, the sooner to get an agent involved, the better for us. So we are meeting with an agent in the coming week. This is our first time to sell a house.

1)I would like to know if I should go ahead and tell her that we will be interviewing other agents before we decide whom to pick. This must have been answered already but didn't find it on a search.
2)we are still in winter here so our grass is yellow like hay and we have some weeds in our beds, etc. Plus, we have lots of cluttered paperwork in our office. Is she just going to want to run out of here?? Obviously, we will take care of that within the next 2 months.

Anyway, your advice is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 02:56 PM

40,865 posts, read 70,896,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
We are not looking to put our house on the market until April or so, but as some of you suggested, the sooner to get an agent involved, the better for us. So we are meeting with an agent in the coming week. This is our first time to sell a house.
Good idea, particularly if you think it will take a little time to prep your home for the market.

Quote:
1)I would like to know if I should go ahead and tell her that we will be interviewing other agents before we decide whom to pick. This must have been answered already but didn't find it on a search.
There is no reason to hide the fact. Expect her to ask.

Quote:
2)we are still in winter here so our grass is yellow like hay and we have some weeds in our beds, etc. Plus, we have lots of cluttered paperwork in our office. Is she just going to want to run out of here?? Obviously, we will take care of that within the next 2 months.
Any agent should be cognizant that this is a HOME, and you are actually currently living in your home. If you have one "run out" you have experienced the service of the agent helping you remove herself from further consideration.
You should be able to expect input on even more ways to prep your home for sale so it shows well.

Quote:
Hey! Nothing to it!

Old 01-24-2009, 03:17 PM

6,170 posts, read 12,394,531 times
Quote:

Good idea, getting started now. You never want to be in the position of having to RUSH to choose the agent who is going to handle this for you.

Yes, you should tell her that you are interviewing several agents. But she likely expects that you will anyway, so it shouldn't come as a surprise, unless she is related.
It's winter, so your grounds look like winter. No big deal. And since it isn't on the market, it's not a problem that the house isn't as decluttered as it will be by the time you are marketing it. But, pay attention to the reactions of the agents, whether they say anything to you about it, if they ask if you plan to, (or better, tell you that you should) declutter. An agent who is afraid to say negative stuff to you might not be what you are looking for. As a rule, I think an honest agent who tells you what you NEED to hear is better than a polite one who tells you what you WANT to hear.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:32 PM

178 posts, read 1,197,952 times
As a helpful suggestion, ask each of the brokers you interview the following questions. If they don’t respond with confident, compelling and persuasive answers, you’re probably talking to the wrong person.

1) what skills, knowledge and/or experience do you have that will enable you to sell the property?
2) what is your plan for promoting, marketing and/or creating “buzz” about the property?
3) how will you maximize the value I receive for the commission I will pay for your services?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:24 PM

23 posts, read 94,840 times
These days online photos are huge when selling a home, so your home should be staged for the internet (think 'each room looks 10 lbs heavier' in a photo, aka you most likely will want to de-clutter even more than you're thinking.)

It's important to find an agent who understands this and who will be able to give you room by room advice on what to remove, what to move, and what might need to be added to produce the sensation of open space, good flow and an experience for the buyer that focuses their attention on what you're selling - all of the good things about your home. The same goes for the outside, street appeal view, etc.

And, your agent should understand the importance of great photos - in my opinion professional photos or else he/she should be capable of taking top notch ones. If I were interviewing agents I would ask to see interior and exterior photos of previous listings, and look at both presentation of the home and quality of the photo (35mm shots are too narrow, should be 24 or less for interior photos, in my opinion.

No problem on not having house ready for the interview. If that were a prerequisite no one would ever invite an agent over.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:58 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,087,171 times
Explain to the agent up front your time frame -- planning on listing in 2-3 months -- and the fact that you're getting started early so you can find the right agent to assist you, so you'll be interviewing several.

Let the agents know what your priorities are (you want more than someone who will list the house in the MLS and put a sign in the yard). Make sure they understand that you are willing to do whatever is necessary to get your home sold as quickly as possible for the highest possible price (assuming that's true) and that you want an agent who's going to work as hard as you will to accomplish the same thing.

As others have mentioned, your agent's marketing plan is crucial in this market. Get details from every agent you interview and ask for specifics as to the timing of the marketing (really, really vital).

You're doing the things you need to do to get your house sold. Make sure you find an agent who's going to back you up and do everything she (or he) needs to do to accomplish the same task.

Good luck!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:39 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,548,381 times
thanks for the advice everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals