Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:29 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,878,692 times

Advertisements

I don't know, but is anyone else getting bombarded with emails about new designations with regards to short sales, loan modifications and such?
It's starting to get annoying and it's really annoying me that at a time when many Realtors® are struggling even our own associations are trying to gouge us with "new" courses and "new" designations. Is there a reason (besides they just want to make the bucks) that this information is just not included in the courses already provided to sales associates or included in continuing education? It's absurd, IMO, that NAR and the local associations just keep making new stuff out of things that should be matter of course because of the changing times and situations. It's crap. There isn't a Realtor® today that wouldn't run into a short sale/loan mod/etc unless their particular area is immune. I'm pretty disgusted and feeling I'm being taken advantage of by those I pay money to, forced to pay money to, protect and educate me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 11 days ago)

43,124 posts, read 76,693,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
I don't know, but is anyone else getting bombarded with emails about new designations with regards to short sales, loan modifications and such?
It's starting to get annoying and it's really annoying me that at a time when many Realtors® are struggling even our own associations are trying to gouge us with "new" courses and "new" designations. Is there a reason (besides they just want to make the bucks) that this information is just not included in the courses already provided to sales associates or included in continuing education? It's absurd, IMO, that NAR and the local associations just keep making new stuff out of things that should be matter of course because of the changing times and situations. It's crap. There isn't a Realtor® today that wouldn't run into a short sale/loan mod/etc unless their particular area is immune. I'm pretty disgusted and feeling I'm being taken advantage of by those I pay money to, forced to pay money to, protect and educate me.
Obviously, NAR is broken.
How many NAR members would there be if MLS was available to nonmember licensed agents?

Old 02-15-2009, 09:25 PM

I'd like to know just how many people are schnookered by these designations. I would imagine quite a few. And we've had discussions on the board about them. But prey tell, who in their right mind would think that someone taking a couple of hours of courses in short sales and loan modification, qualifiies they more so than someone who has been in the trenches actually doing them? Who in their right mind thinks after all this time that there is a 'set' way on how to do these things and that even within the same bank they all work the same way?
Grrrr. It's just annoying. Just like that stupid and I mean stupid designation of e-pro or the new "green" Realtor®. It's a joke. I can't tell you how many e-pro discussions I've had. How about the one for the senior citizens? Are you telling me there is something you wouldn't know if you had grandparents that moved? If you didn't just read a couple of articles about the trials and tribulations of older people having to move/relocate/go into senior housing? Something you could just figure out if you had compassion? Ack! I'm just disgusted with the whole thing, I really am. I had been before but it's getting worse with all these new specialties that aren't really specialties and you couldn't possibly know ALL of the ins and outs unless you did them. Either you empathize, understand, do your dillegence and then do the work or you take a course, spend your money and get a designation.
grrrrrrrrr.
Ok, I'm done, lol. It's just frustrating sometimes. They've become more and more like all of those services that want to sell you territories or leads.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:36 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,298,593 times
I agree - IMO there were too many of the old designations. Some are good, and really do mean an agent has extra expertise, but many were just obtained by agents "to have a designation". I mean, we have the ABR, CRS, GRI, SRES, ePro, etc, etc. Now we're getting the DEAF (Designee Educated Agent of Foreclosures), the MESS (Master Educated in Short Sales), and of course, the BUNK (Broke Uneducated Newbie Kultz)

Seriously, though. The brokers need to be doing more education on some fronts. I've got a couple of foreclosure deals in escrow now and one short sale (respresenting the buyers). The difference in the level of expertise on the listing side of these is tremendous. There are defintely some foreclosure agents in way over their heads. And some of the agents taking short sale listings are absolutely clueless about how to get them closed (and even which ones are apt to close and which ones are not).

I'm sure we're talking "local", as usual. But, I'll tell you what, it's a nightmare when you've got one of these DEAF, MESS, BUNK agents on the other side of the deal.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,298,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
I'd like to know just how many people are schnookered by these designations. I would imagine quite a few. And we've had discussions on the board about them. But prey tell, who in their right mind would think that someone taking a couple of hours of courses in short sales and loan modification, qualifiies they more so than someone who has been in the trenches actually doing them? Who in their right mind thinks after all this time that there is a 'set' way on how to do these things and that even within the same bank they all work the same way?
Grrrr. It's just annoying. Just like that stupid and I mean stupid designation of e-pro or the new "green" Realtor®. It's a joke. I can't tell you how many e-pro discussions I've had. How about the one for the senior citizens? Are you telling me there is something you wouldn't know if you had grandparents that moved? If you didn't just read a couple of articles about the trials and tribulations of older people having to move/relocate/go into senior housing? Something you could just figure out if you had compassion? Ack! I'm just disgusted with the whole thing, I really am. I had been before but it's getting worse with all these new specialties that aren't really specialties and you couldn't possibly know ALL of the ins and outs unless you did them. Either you empathize, understand, do your dillegence and then do the work or you take a course, spend your money and get a designation.
grrrrrrrrr.
Ok, I'm done, lol. It's just frustrating sometimes. They've become more and more like all of those services that want to sell you territories or leads.
No designation can replace an agent who cares.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:44 PM

10,912 posts, read 21,885,499 times
The only reason I'm a member of NAR is because my company requires it (can I say that?). Gretchen, excellent post.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:48 PM

15,515 posts, read 40,257,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Obviously, NAR is broken.
How many NAR members would there be if MLS was available to nonmember licensed agents?
I am not a member of NAR since my MLS is one of the few that allows a choice.

In the past, about 60% of MLS members have been NAR members to. I am sure that went way down this year.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:13 AM

rofl That was fantastic! Oh, thank you for the laugh.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:35 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,400,769 times
Early on I went and got my ABR and ALHS designations. After sitting through those classes, I realized that if I'd taken those several days and worked instead, I would have learned more in the field. I'm all for getting more education to make us better, but now when I see agents with a ton of designations, all I see is that they enough time on their hands to go sit through classes because they don't have work to do. Mind you, not ALL are like this, but I see way too many agents with a ton of designations and killer blogs, that only close a few deals a year.

There is no replacement for hard work.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:47 AM

10,912 posts, read 21,885,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I am not a member of NAR since my MLS is one of the few that allows a choice.

In the past, about 60% of MLS members have been NAR members to. I am sure that went way down this year.
Mine also allows a choice but all the big companies require their agents to join.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals