Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 AM

96 posts, read 175,822 times

Advertisements

Okay, I am looking for a property in a state far from the one I currently live in. Because of work and personal time constraints, I cannot travel to that state to look at properties just yet. I AM at the point where if the right property surfaced, I would be willing to buy it with only a look at pictures.

I have contacted a couple of realtors in the state I am looking in, but I am about to tear out my hair in frustration!
One sends me listings that I absolutely have no interest in and aren't even close to what I want or where I want.
Another, after I gave her all the things on my wish list (which is extremely short!) Never contacted me with ANYTHING.

Now, what I want to know...is it permissible to post on here what I want, the area I want, etc., so some SAINT of a realtor can come down from the heavens and help me?
I just don't have the time, nor the energy to contact every single realtor in that state/area with my particulars!
I work as a property manager where I am at, so I know the problems with tenants, selling properties, working with realtors, working with city/county/state zoning, etc. so I know what a headache all that is.

So, can I do it?
Can I post for help in my situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 05:26 AM

634 posts, read 1,559,145 times
Maybe there are no properties with the features you want, in your price range. If you are serious about finding a home, hire a Realtor, sign an agreement for them represent you and then maybe they will be willing to work harder. I do not work to hard for lookie loos. I take them seriously when they say they are pre-qualified and give me a time frame for their home purchase.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:41 AM

43,317 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwynyvyr View Post
Okay, I am looking for a property in a state far from the one I currently live in. Because of work and personal time constraints, I cannot travel to that state to look at properties just yet. I AM at the point where if the right property surfaced, I would be willing to buy it with only a look at pictures.

I have contacted a couple of realtors in the state I am looking in, but I am about to tear out my hair in frustration!
One sends me listings that I absolutely have no interest in and aren't even close to what I want or where I want.
Another, after I gave her all the things on my wish list (which is extremely short!) Never contacted me with ANYTHING.

Now, what I want to know...is it permissible to post on here what I want, the area I want, etc., so some SAINT of a realtor can come down from the heavens and help me?
I just don't have the time, nor the energy to contact every single realtor in that state/area with my particulars!
I work as a property manager where I am at, so I know the problems with tenants, selling properties, working with realtors, working with city/county/state zoning, etc. so I know what a headache all that is.

So, can I do it?
Can I post for help in my situation?
Go to the CityData forum for your desired area, and post that you are soliciting DM's from agents for purchasing a home.
You should get a lot of contacts.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:52 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,995,719 times
Contact the agent sending you listings and get them to redefine the search or find another more responsive Realtor. If you're being sent listings that don't meet your criteria you need to communicate that to the agent.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:54 AM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
You can also go to active rain, or google "real estate blogs your town" and see if you can find an agent that you like that way.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:19 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,140,911 times
I, too, would suggest looking on Active Rain. You can get to know agents in the area where you're looking to purchase your property, or you can write a post, soliciting for agents in the area.

Good Luck.

Sandy

Old 02-17-2009, 04:34 PM

173 posts, read 465,659 times
Gwyn, you can also go to Realtor.com and do a search for what you're interested in. From there you can contact the listing agent.

Other than that, if you don't have the time to look at properties, is there someone in your city of interest you can give power of attorney to? They can then look at the properties and bid on your behalf.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:05 PM

502 posts, read 1,655,450 times
Do you have a good relationship with a Realtor in your area? Perhaps they can refer you to an agent they know and trust in the new city.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:47 PM

96 posts, read 175,822 times
I have gotten a good response...thank you guys SO much!
I may be finding my way out of the woods here, lol!

The realtor that contacted me has been uber-helpful, but I asked her a question that I think I'll go ahead and pose here...
How does hiring a *Buyers Agent* go? I mean, are there specific rules? I haven't bought a property in 20+ years and it seems so much has changed.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:47 PM

9 posts, read 23,028 times
Ask to see a copy of the agreement and READ it before signing. Yes - there are rules. A buyer's agent has a fiduciary responsibilty to represent the buyer's best interest, but as you've already learned - not all agents are equal!

Depending on how the agreement is filled out, you could be required to pay a commission even if you find a house by yourself, or if the house is a For Sale By Owner, or several other situations. A buyer's agent agreement means that you WILL be using that agent to purchase your home and you might be responsible for paying that agent's commission if the seller doesn't.

Initially the agent will not be spending much time (or money) to provide you with listing information. I think it's a bit premature to be signing an agreement until you've had a chance to get to know the agent a bit better. I would encourage to find out how experienced the agent is, how well they know the area you're looking in, etc. before you sign anything.

Attempting to purchase a property without seeing it in person is very risky. You will be placing your decision making on pictures (which, if we are a talented Realtor, can make some of the less desireable properties actually look good!!) and blind faith in a person you've just met online. You'd better hope they know the market extremely well and have very high ethics and standards. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals