Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:16 PM

177 posts, read 857,093 times

Advertisements

how do I get CMA if I am buying without using a buyer's agent.

i think i might be able to get a better deal by eliminating atleast one party from the picture. Or is this easier said than done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 09:23 AM

366 posts, read 1,744,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob View Post

i think i might be able to get a better deal by eliminating atleast one party from the picture. Or is this easier said than done
The most possible way for you to save money by buying without an agent, is to possibly buy a FISBO (for sale by owner, don't ask me about the 'I'). In my experience, the FISBO seller is asking more than most listed prices, which, if you think about the reasons they aren't listing, you'd understand why they are asking more. When buying a home, there is very little or no cost to you for using a buyers agent, and they can save you from a lot of problems that can arrise from not being represented. Just ask any agent to show you the size of their file on your deal at closing. People never understand the amount of work involved in making sure a sale is done correctly and goes to closing. The CMA is just the beginning.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:38 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,785,903 times
jacob -

Let me answer your questions directly and also offer some friendly advice, ok?

I am a Realtor, CBR. So that's the lens through which I view all these topics. And I've also been through this as a buyer's agent, representing buyers (usually as CLIENTS rather than customers,) since 1988.

First - If you're afforded the time, you can hire a bank appraiser to do a "HUD short form appraisal", for about 250 - 350 dollars. That's one short answer to your first question. But of course, there often isn't time for this - because it can take weeks, and that's a long time to wait for an opinion of what price to offer. Most people make an offer and include a clause that it "must appraise at or above purchase price" for purposes of Mortgage Financing by such and such a date. That allows you to withdraw your offer without cost or penalty if the property doesn't appraise at or above purchase price. This appraisal is ordered by the mortgage lender to reassure the mortgage lender (and you) that the lender isn't paying more than fair market value for the property.

Second - While you're smart to look to save money, (who doesn't want to save money?) it's almost never possible to do it by shopping around by yourself and going directly to the "listing agent" - the agent who's name is on the sign. The reason for this is simply that there's a legal contract between the listing agent (who's legal duty is to represent the seller, and only the seller) and the seller. It specifies what legal duties the agent owes to the seller, and the fee to be paid, and the circumstances under which the fee is paid and a lot of other things. And you're simply not a party to that contract. It's water under the bridge as far as you're concerned. However, there's some good news: The first thing the Listing Realtor does when putting a property on the market, is offer a percentage (my policy is half, and that's pretty common) of the fee to the agent who brings the buyer to the closing table. These days in most places, that agent can be a Buyer's Agent, and be legally representing the buyer.

Now - Back in the day, both the RE agents were legally on the seller's side. But not giving consumers the option to choose to have one of the agents on thier side didn't seem fair to a lot of people (like The Federal Trade Commission, and consumers/buyers for instance), so consumers began demanding some options, and voilla! Buyer Brokerage was born, - although it took many decades.

So, here's how I do this for buyers:
I begin by answering questions and discussing these issues - and providing data about the sale prices and sale circumstances of homes like the ones the buyer is interested in looking for. Then, if the buyer decides to ask me to be his/her Buyer's Agent, I provide a lot of info (email notification of new listings, etc etc etc) then when the time comes to make an offer, I prepare a thorough CMA for my CLIENT - (the buyer) and assist with deciding on an offer price.

Believe it or not - that's the short answer to your questions. And of course these "Agency Relationships" vary a bit by State.

You're welcome, of course, to do all the legwork yourself, and be an "unrepresented buyer", but the above is essentially the way the system works. If you can find an excellent Buyer Agent, (your Real Estate Attorney and/or your Mortgage Banker would be good people to ask for referrals, so would friends who recently bought homes) I believe you'll find things are vastly easier and you'll have enormous advantages compared to trying to go it alone. Another great resource for you is your local Home Ownership Center.

Keep an eye on this space, we're about to see a number of posts on the various in and an outs and the "what if's". And please forgive me if I misunderstand your question and/or your situation. This is just a quick attempt at answering your question - and I wish you the best of luck!

David

Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,785,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
The most possible way for you to save money by buying without an agent, is to possibly buy a FISBO (for sale by owner, don't ask me about the 'I'). In my experience, the FISBO seller is asking more than most listed prices, which, if you think about the reasons they aren't listing, you'd understand why they are asking more. When buying a home, there is very little or no cost to you for using a buyers agent, and they can save you from a lot of problems that can arrise from not being represented. Just ask any agent to show you the size of their file on your deal at closing. People never understand the amount of work involved in making sure a sale is done correctly and goes to closing. The CMA is just the beginning.
Terrific post, RickMG!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:25 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Exclamation Don't lose money on the deal

Quote:

The "one party" you eliminate from the picture would be YOUR advocate and representative. In my state (Arizona), the agent has a fiduciary duty to represent his client (whether that client is a seller or a buyer) to the very best of his ability. If you choose not to have a realtor represent you, then you are asking the seller's agent to handle both sides of the deal. (It's called dual agency or Limited Representation.) Obviously, then, although that agent cannot give one party an unfair advantage over the other, he will have a tough time not being a little partial to his client, the seller.

Having a realtor represent you does not cost you anything and could possibly save you thousands when it comes to knowing the market and negotiating skills to get you the best deal.

I think you can tell from most of the posts on this forum that the majority of agents work very hard to represent their clients 110%. It's just that the general public has been led to believe that the agent is always trying to keep the price as high as possible so they'll get a little more commission. Not true! Most agents "bond" with their clients and want to get them the best deal possible. The payoff? Happy clients = repeat and referral business down the road. I really encourage you to interview a few agents and choose one that you have a good rapport with and that you feel will work hard in your behalf.

Best wishes to you on the purchase of your home!

Old 03-19-2007, 02:30 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
The bigger question here is why would you want to do this without your own representation?

Only Realtors can do a CMA based on comps from the MLS.

Only licensed appraisers can do a appraisal.

How do you know if you are offering the correct amount, or if the transaction is processing correctly without someone on your side? The listing agent must be honest, but no seller or listing agent has any obligation to be fair.

If you don't have a Buyers Agent, at least hire a real estate attorney.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:01 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
Terrific post, RickMG!
Thanks chaz longue Appreciate the compliment (as well as all the posts I see from you).

Old 03-20-2007, 08:09 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,307 times
Quote:

lets say i sign with xzy brokers to list my 3br house for 300,000 for a 5% comm
you come along (after driving around or researching different listings on computer)and tell my broker you will pay 280,000 , we go back and forth and settle on 290,000......my broker gets 5% or 14,500

now lets say you go to a real estate agent and tell them you are looking for a
2br or more home for under 310,000.....FIRST the agent will make sure you can qualify for that amount (you go to the ballgame or whatever )and the agent looks up all the listings that meet your needs and sends them to you, you pick out a few you want to see
the agent makes the appointment and takes you to see only those few that you picked out (one of them being my home of course because it is beautiful)
The agent gives you some comps for the area to help you decide what to do
you tell your agent to offer 280,000, your agent prepares the contract ...we go back and forth and settle on 290,000......my agent gets 14,500 but has to pay your agent 7,250 for bringing in the buyer.....where is the cost to you ?
your agent helps you find a lawyer,home inspector and appraiser if not supplied by mortgage company and helps make sure the co inspection gets done (along with a lot of other stuff)...To make it short ,the only way to possibly get a better deal is to do away with the sellers agent and you cannot do that ...see (RickMg post)that is your only option but you will be doing a lot of work you don't need to do and can miss something that could cost you a lot more than you THINK you saved

Old 03-23-2007, 09:27 PM

79 posts, read 192,612 times
go it alone. I don't always trust Realtors. However, I can tell you use them for thier reasources you will save yourself some time. Go to a Realtors web site and sign up to recieve new listings by e-mail. You can set up a price range and other specifics. some sites will even send you an address of the home. and you never have to scan the listings yourself. It comes to you in an e-mail. best of all you don't have to talk to a Realtor until you have to. another great source is realtor.com hope that helps. No i'm not a Realtor. as for a CMA try Zillow.com its unparalled for a quick CMA on your own. So, you don't need Realtors

Old 03-23-2007, 11:01 PM

73 posts, read 403,114 times
Zillow is fun, but not accurate, from what I hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals