Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 11:32 AM

16 posts, read 76,576 times

Advertisements

My realtor is asking if this is something I would consider. We have been considering renting the property until the market recovers, is this a better alternative? This property is being sold as the result of a separation, so the goal is to walk away from it as soon as possible. With the condition of the market that could take up to two years of renting anyway before we suffer no loss.

Does lease to purchase generally secure a better occupant than just straight renting?

Pros? Cons?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 12:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Hello again.

You have asked a better question and will get better responses.

As I mentioned in my last post/other thread, rent with option to buy is uncommon in my area. Of the few that occur, I am not aware of any that have resulted in a sale. They are usually done in my area by inbound relo folk who are not certain if they will remain in the area.

Generally speaking, the rents are usually higher than one without the option because a percentage of the rent is rebated to the buyer.

No doubt experiences will vary throught the U.S.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:32 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
It's very rare that this works out. You may get someone into your place, but the odds that they'll end up buying aren't good at all.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,824 times
There are a lot of issues with them. A perfect scenario would be, who is responsible to replace the furnace in the event that it breaks? Typically the Seller thinks that the buyer should, and the Buyer thinks that the Seller should. There are a lot more scenarios too like taxes, roof leaks, etc. You are much better off to simply rent the home. Then, if the renter wants to buy it later on, they buy it.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Orlando is correct, I've never seen one of these things ever go to closing. I had one back in 1981 and it didn't work out (we bought another home). My last attempt ended up with the tenant getting a stream of 3 day pay or quit notices and an eventual unlawful detainer action.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 PM

189 posts, read 566,678 times
I have seen these go to closing but here is what you need to do:

1. Make sure your monthly note is covered (with taxes, your new renter's policy insurance).
2. Give yourself an extra $100.00 per mo to cover any expenses for repair.
3. Get a downpayment that is Non-Refundable of at least 3% of what the purchase price would have been OR MORE.
4. Get a credit report from the renter. Don't rent to someone who is behind in all their bills.
5. Make electric and water, cable, trash, ect in their name. That way your not on the hook if they default you.

If I was in your position I would ask for the following:

1. 3-5% downpayment
2. Rental Amount to cover mortgage + repairs.
3. A clearly defined set of where the money goes. Deposits go towards purchase price and perhaps some kickback on monthly rental amount goes to purchase price. Set your purchase price in advance. Hold the money in escrow (you may not be able to spend it in your state).
4. Define your purchase agreement when you do your lease agreement. Make sure the buyer is aware that at the end of the lease he will be needing bank financing for the home. Or that he gets no money back.

I wish you the best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals