Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 03:05 PM

575 posts, read 2,496,978 times

Advertisements

Home sellers*get lucky*in Madison, Wis. - Jun. 8, 2007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 10:28 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,050,174 times
Interesting story. I wonder how long it will be till the FSBO people can pay to list in the MLS? Will this ever happen?

Old 06-08-2007, 10:58 PM

300 posts, read 1,849,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCalitoSteinerRanch View Post
The same information--an article from the NYTimes was posted earlier today on two different threads.

FSBO :: what the *!?/#
Moved: Better off selling it on your own?
The second thread posted after the first was moved to the first

Old 06-09-2007, 05:27 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,032,818 times
Yep-Get your e-broker. Do a little e-advertising. Then get your e-loan. Then everyone not show up to the closing because its being handled by an e-attorney.

Maybe an e-proxy to live in your e-sold home??

Do FSBO's workout successfully? Yep-Daily. But I sure would like to see the news coverage showing the trials and tribulations and failures of the the ones that don't. I would guess that this would be the majority of FSBO's.
Just a guess.
Bill

Old 06-10-2007, 07:20 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,900,344 times
Now THAT would be an interesting study... finding out what percentage of FSBO's vs Realtor represented properties successfully close.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:44 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,222,162 times
Default Madison is not the USA

Such a study would be much more interesting in a more conventional city. Madison is an act to itself. Milwaukee say or Tucson.

It also has an active and large FSBO web site...a thing not seen a lot of places elsewhere.

I have to read it but I understand most were compensating buyers agents.

Note that entry into most MLSs for a sharply reduced fee is possible. Pay up front.

There are also fixed price deals such as help-u-sell. Note though that now you have paid 3% to the buyers agent and 1 to 1 1/2 percent to the liisting agent so you are now working on a 1/2 to 1 1/2 percent difference. A conventional agent may well be worth more than that.

Note that the latest numbers show the average commission paid has gone from 5.1% to 5.2%. First rise in some years. Thought to be driven by the difficult market out there. FSBO gets harder in a Buyers Market.

I think the time for the RE Agents to lose their leverage has come and gone. The profession could still use some cleanup and an upgrade of the requirements to practice would sure be rational. I, for instance, would like to see an apprenticeship where one has to do 20 transactions under the tutelage of an experienced agent before striking out on ones own. Newbys are dangerous and should not be released on the public.

Butr it appears clear that the internet helps agernts...it is not going to supplant them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals