Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times

Advertisements

It can go into foreclosure w/o being a short sale don't forget. The only criteria for being a short sale is the home is being sold for less than the mortgage. Don't make assumptions about what the seller owes. I've seen homes go into foreclosure that the seller could have easily sold and walked away with money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:04 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Is it possible the listing agent does not know?

There remains no shortage of agents who do not do their own homework and take everything at face value.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:49 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,993,847 times
I agree with Palm and Brandon. A potential foreclosure does not necessarily make the transaction a short sale. Nor does beginning the foreclosure process necessarily make foreclosure a foregone conclusion. It's always possible that the homeowner has other avenues to avoid foreclosure in the event that a traditional sale does not occur.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default That's the thing that makes the most nuts about this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
I agree with Palm and Brandon. A potential foreclosure does not necessarily make the transaction a short sale. Nor does beginning the foreclosure process necessarily make foreclosure a foregone conclusion. It's always possible that the homeowner has other avenues to avoid foreclosure in the event that a traditional sale does not occur.

I can understand maybe some goofball doing a "cut off my nose to spite my face" kind of thing IF they appeared to have a bit of twisted sense of "well the deadbeats are getting help, so I will tempt fate", but once the notices go out in the newspapers and on the official government sites ...

Just to make sure I was not nuts I actually went out to the Clerk of Court and Recorder of Deeds offices. The lender definitely put everything in motion to get this property auctioned.

Talked to the staff at both offices -- they said only a tiny fraction of borrowers bother to get the court records updated with a release if they do get the loan reinstated, which also seems wacky to me.

I mean once this data is OUT on the official sites it seems like a giant banner advertising "lowball offers are gonna come rolling in"...

I understand that there are those who would get behind and then caught-up (maybe they sold another property or liquidated some other assets, but the way the markets are that could not have been the preferred path either) and there are no NEW liens so then have not used to the property to secure other subordinate financing.

Makes me a little crazy!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:20 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,993,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I can understand maybe some goofball doing a "cut off my nose to spite my face" kind of thing IF they appeared to have a bit of twisted sense of "well the deadbeats are getting help, so I will tempt fate", but once the notices go out in the newspapers and on the official government sites ...

Just to make sure I was not nuts I actually went out to the Clerk of Court and Recorder of Deeds offices. The lender definitely put everything in motion to get this property auctioned.

Talked to the staff at both offices -- they said only a tiny fraction of borrowers bother to get the court records updated with a release if they do get the loan reinstated, which also seems wacky to me.

I mean once this data is OUT on the official sites it seems like a giant banner advertising "lowball offers are gonna come rolling in"...

I understand that there are those who would get behind and then caught-up (maybe they sold another property or liquidated some other assets, but the way the markets are that could not have been the preferred path either) and there are no NEW liens so then have not used to the property to secure other subordinate financing.

Makes me a little crazy!
I personally have been less than a week away from conducting foreclosure sales on two occassions - with multiple borrowers scheduled to get foreclosed on each occassion - only to have the lender cancel all the sales when something was worked out with all the borrowers. Don't have any data on what percent of postings follow this path, but it's far from unheard of.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:16 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
[quote=chet everett;8324206]Right. This is not a marketing thing, nor is it a mistake. From what I can tell the seller DEFINITELY did get behind to the point where the lender did send out notices through the required governmental units...

quote]

They can be behind on their payments so that the lender is sending a NOTS, and still not be in a short sale situation. Meaning that they have sufficient equity to cover the selling expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals