Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
that is still not the issue GD.
We will continue to use the BBA.

You won't use it.

Both are OK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 10:05 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsFancyPants View Post
But I could get another agent if I weren't bound to an exclusive agreement with you.
And you would have exactly the same problem. The new agent, every time you have to get a NEW one, would want to get paid by SOMEONE. At SOME point, they will learn that the co op may not be available to them, and they will want YOU to guarantee they will get paid.
I guess that , theoretically, it's possible that some agent will say that he's willing to take the chance of not getting paid, and will work for you and hope to get the co op. Probably not the guy I'd hire, but hey, have fun.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:34 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
And you would have exactly the same problem. The new agent, every time you have to get a NEW one, would want to get paid by SOMEONE. At SOME point, they will learn that the co op may not be available to them, and they will want YOU to guarantee they will get paid.
I guess that , theoretically, it's possible that some agent will say that he's willing to take the chance of not getting paid, and will work for you and hope to get the co op. Probably not the guy I'd hire, but hey, have fun.

How does the new agent find out about past activity?

Old 05-11-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
How does the new agent find out about past activity?
How does the new agent NOT find out about the past activity?
When I first meet a new buyer client, we sit down & talk. I ask questions like, have you seen any houses yet, have you made any offers, have you been working with another agent in this area? So, unless the buyer lies, I sort of find out right then.
When we go to see the property, I'm astute enough that I'll pick up on the fact she's been here before. I believe most agents would notice that.

The new agent writes a contract for Ms. House Buyer. Presents said contract to listing agent, who says, "Hey, this is the same buyer that Old Buyer agent wrote a contract for. Do you represent her now?"

Do you envision a scenario where a buyer can offer on the same property with a new agent, and the listing agnent doesn't mention that fact?

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 05-11-2009 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-11-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
How does the new agent NOT find out about the past activity?
When I first meet a new buyer client, we sit down & talk. I ask questions like, have you seen any houses yet, have you made any offers, have you been working with another agent in this area? So, unless the buyer lies, I sort of find out right then.
When we go to see the property, I'm astute enough that I'll pick up on the fact she's been here before. I believe most agents would notice that.

The new agent writes a contract for Ms. House Buyer. Presents said contract to listing agent, who says, "Hey, this is the same buyer that Old Buyer agent wrote a contract for. Do you represent her now?"

Do you envision a scenario where a buyer can offer on the same property with a new agent, and the listing agnent doesn't mention that fact?
Sure. I have represented people twice in recent years who first saw the home with another agent. And those are the ones I know about. Never heard a thing. In fact I suspect that disclosing that information by a listing agent might well be a violation. I don't however know if an offer was actually written. You can have a procuring cause problem without an offer. We always ask a new prospective client if they are working with someone. If they are we tell them they have to chose. I would think well over half our clientele has worked with other agents locally. Some have worked with three or four. You can sometimes get ratings of many of the local agents from a client. That may be why procuring cause actions are rare. Everybody has clients that came from other people.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:09 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Re Procuring cause cases: I sit on at least two arbitration panels a month (and this is just me) where Procuring Cause is the issue.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Sure. I have represented people twice in recent years who first saw the home with another agent. And those are the ones I know about. Never heard a thing. In fact I suspect that disclosing that information by a listing agent might well be a violation. I don't however know if an offer was actually written. You can have a procuring cause problem without an offer. We always ask a new prospective client if they are working with someone. If they are we tell them they have to chose. I would think well over half our clientele has worked with other agents locally. Some have worked with three or four. You can sometimes get ratings of many of the local agents from a client. That may be why procuring cause actions are rare. Everybody has clients that came from other people.
Cap, I have no disagreement with anything you say in this post. My participation in this discussion was regarding a particular scenario, where an offer WAS writen, and then the buyer chooses to "back out" and hire a new real estate agent to purchase that same property. All of my comments & questions have come with an eye on THAT particular scenario.

And although this isn't a disagreement, there is a point I'd ask you to clarify. A listing agent disclosing to a buyers agent that his buyer has viewed this house with a different buyers agent might be a violation of what, exactly?

Old 05-11-2009, 11:13 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
And although this isn't a disagreement, there is a point I'd ask you to clarify. A listing agent disclosing to a buyers agent that his buyer has viewed this house with a different buyers agent might be a violation of what, exactly?
I was wondering about this one, as well.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Cap, I have no disagreement with anything you say in this post. My participation in this discussion was regarding a particular scenario, where an offer WAS writen, and then the buyer chooses to "back out" and hire a new real estate agent to purchase that same property. All of my comments & questions have come with an eye on THAT particular scenario.

I am not aware that writing an offer was required anywhere in this thread. It is not required for a procuring cause action.

I said might. The Nevada agent has a duty of confidentiality to his client. Is such a matter covered by that confidentiality? Well I would be reasonably sure the terms and conditions of the offer were. I see potential harm to the seller if the listing agent was to release that info. For instance it might scare off the buyers agent....which is not in the sellers best interest.

So I would think the listing agent has to keep his mouth shut.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I said might. The Nevada agent has a duty of confidentiality to his client. Is such a matter covered by that confidentiality? Well I would be reasonably sure the terms and conditions of the offer were. I see potential harm to the seller if the listing agent was to release that info. For instance it might scare off the buyers agent....which is not in the sellers best interest.

So I would think the listing agent has to keep his mouth shut.
Nahh, I think that's a bit of a reach Cap, though I will admit to not knowing how things work out there in Nevada. Also, I would expect that the listing agent would have an OBLIGATION to tell the new buyers agent, "Hey, I may not be allowed to pay you the co op on this, as there will likely be a procuring cause claim made by the first guy who wrote the contract for this buyer of yours."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals